What's new

Advice on organizing the cellar

Here's the deal, I want to setup the cellar with some level of organization so I'm not digging through 4 different boxes of jars looking for the one jar left I have some some blend.

I have a pretty large amount of shelf space I can use (industrial style shelves that are like 1' x 3'), and a ton of empty cardboard boxes still from the moving in. I can also easily put dedicated storage into the basement (though it's not really temperature controlled at all, and it's musty and damp down there). I have a mix of factory sealed tins, and bulk that I have moved to canning jars. All the jars have labels so I know what is in them, and most have the date I sealed the jar up on the label as well.

So, how do you gents organize the stash? I was thinking alphabetical by blend name, so like A -C in a box labeled A-C, and so on. Another thought was an area where stuff that I just wanted to age for years to go into, then alphabetical on the rest that I am more likely to want to grab something from now for the daily drivers, so to speak. So, ideas and thoughts?

I keep my cellar in the basement (seems redundant). I just write on the lids the blend and the date and put like blends in the same boxes. Not very elegant, but I can find anything I want in a few seconds. Slide the box out and look, go to the next.

Mine looks exactly like that. A few mason jar boxes less mind you and it works great. My issue is a quick way to dig through all my tins in boxes though.
I keep my cellar in the basement (seems redundant). I just write on the lids the blend and the date and put like blends in the same boxes. Not very elegant, but I can find anything I want in a few seconds. Slide the box out and look, go to the next.

Makes me wish I'd kept all my boxes the jars I bought came in, but in the old place we moved out of, I couldn't store them like that, I had to stack the jars on top of each other, and into any nook and cranny I could find. lol Man, that place was tiny...

I keep like types in separate numbered boxes. I then have an excel spreadsheet with what is in each box listed alphabetically. And I keep my spread sheet in my Dropbox, so I can access it from any device I own.

Here's the deal, I want to setup the cellar with some level of organization so I'm not digging through 4 different boxes of jars looking for the one jar left I have some some blend.

I have a pretty large amount of shelf space I can use (industrial style shelves that are like 1' x 3'), and a ton of empty cardboard boxes still from the moving in. I can also easily put dedicated storage into the basement (though it's not really temperature controlled at all, and it's musty and damp down there). I have a mix of factory sealed tins, and bulk that I have moved to canning jars. All the jars have labels so I know what is in them, and most have the date I sealed the jar up on the label as well.

So, how do you gents organize the stash? I was thinking alphabetical by blend name, so like A -C in a box labeled A-C, and so on. Another thought was an area where stuff that I just wanted to age for years to go into, then alphabetical on the rest that I am more likely to want to grab something from now for the daily drivers, so to speak. So, ideas and thoughts?

You can use an alphanumeric code on the outside of the storage boxes, then use the "Serial" function on your tobaccocellar account to enter the code corresponding to the box the container is stored in. Take a bit of time doing the initial data entry, but then you'd know exactly where every jar or tin is.

My "unopened" draw.
$20161209_205009.jpg

I just dedicated a large closet in my den to my cellar. One corner is stacks of mason jars, while the other corner is a trunk that I filled with my unopened tins. The scary thing is that my trunk is reaching full capacity, so I have no clue what the hell I'll do when I run out of room.

I have most of my pull top tins (C&D, McClelland, GL Pease ) in one big plastic bin. The other plastic bin is filled with the STG/MacBaren style screw top tins. Then there's another bin with the square tins from SG and other blenders. Then the mason Jars are kind of random.

I would really like to separate them by blend type to have all the VAs together, Latakia mixtures together etc.

Filing cabinet? Label the blend type (Lat; VA; VaPer) or maker (Cor-Dun; SG-Uhles); on the outside by alphabetical and you're done. Just don't forget to adjust the labels as you run out of room in each drawer...

Top Bottom