What's new

Which soaps need blooming in your experiences?

All mine, including Stirling and croaps. I prefer loading with a well shaken-out brush, so all my soaps are bloomed. I pour the water off before loading and add drops as needed. I let them air dry before putting away and never had a soap become gooey.

I'm with the majority of the posters, I have never bloomed a soap, never had a problem. If a soap doesn't preform well it becomes body soap and doesn't get reordered (this has hardly ever happened).

I've never gotten a bad lather out of an unbloomed soap, granted, I've never tried modern Williams without soaking it since everyone suggests doing so. I generally never bloom soap, because I don't feel the need.

I personally don't think any soap needs blooming but if you like to do so then do so. To my mind blooming does two things:

1. Makes it easier to load soap into the brush
2. Brings out the scent a little more initially

All you need for a good lather is the correct soap to water ratio, which is different for each individual soap. Some have a wider sweet spot than others making them easier to lather. If you're not getting the volume or look to your lather you want then add more water, a little bit at a time. This can be done up front (blooming) or after loading. Slow and steady wins the race as they say.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
In my experience, none. The most any soap I've tried needed was a few extra drops of water just prior to loading.

Top Bottom