What's new

Going to South India - what blades (if any) should I bring home?

Hi,
Been a while. Iam going travelling in South India (Karnataka) for three weeks over xmas & new year. I hope to be able to find Black Gillette 7o'clocks. Are there other Indian brands that I should keep a look-out for? I tend to prefer blades such as Polsilver, Nacet, Feather, if that is any help.

I looked at ebay.in and it seems Vijay (various types) and Topaz are big Indian sellers. Anyone thinks it's worth the trouble? (I am backpacking light which means total luggage < 8kg).

Thanks for any recommendations.

I've tried quite a few Indian made blades, including Laser, Topaz, Super-Max and Gillette Wilkinson Sword - all of which I found to be mediocre on a good day

I wasn't impressed with the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, although I git 4 good shaves per blade out of them, they felt so uncomfortable that it felt like my face was being licked by an angry tom cat !!

Although I found the Vijay, Kleen Shave and Super-Max Blue Diamond to be adequate, I didn't like any of them enough to want to bulk buy them.

The only Indian made blades that I like are.....
Centwin Super Platinum - as daily beater blades
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (Green) - one of my favourite blades

But that's just me !!

IMHO a good way to find out would be to buy a tuck each of as many different blades as possible, (from what I've read a tuck only costs pennies) try out one of each and stock up on the ones you like best
If you've got room, you may also want to get some Godrej Shaving Rounds
If you like your aftershaves, you'll feel like a kid in a candy store - Old Spice Original, Musk & Fresh Lime is good value

Indian Wilkies, Gilette 7 O'clock Green & Black, V12 blades all work great for my medium beard type. If you have a heavy beard it hard to say if these blades will work for you.

Your mission (Should you choose to accept it) is to aquire as many different blades as possible, try them all and report your findings.

Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp. Feathers are okay for me but the green Permasharp are more smooth in my book. The 7 o'clock SP(blacks) are made at the same factory(same address on package) as the Permasharp but I don't like the blacks as much as the green.

I have not been to South India, so cannot provide specific advice. But, my general approach when traveling is to stop into local groceries and pharmacies and pick up samples of most anything that looks interesting! Enjoy the trip!

Enjoy your trip. Have fun. Experience those roadside barbers. Look for any unknown razor blades that are not commonly available in the west. Come back safe and with lots of stories about shaving and life in South India.

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I personally wouldn't dare to touch any unknown "local" blade brands. Go for the SuperMax, etc'.
Now creams or soaps is another thing.

Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp. Feathers are okay for me but the green Permasharp are more smooth in my book. The 7 o'clock SP(blacks) are made at the same factory(same address on package) as the Permasharp but I don't like the blacks as much as the green.
+1
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp (Green) from India is one of my favourite blades of all time, although being fickle I'm falling in love with Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) from Russia
I tried so hard to like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black) from India, but whenever I used it, it was so rough that it felt like my face was being licked by an angry tomcat

I personally wouldn't dare to touch any unknown "local" blade brands. Go for the SuperMax, etc'.
Now creams or soaps is another thing.

I don't suggest actually using a local blade, if they even exist, but to buy a tuck or two to bring back as a souveneir of the trip. Something that would be light and easy to carry as total weight is a concern. I would not suggest buying something there that can easily bought online, even though at a somewhat higher price. But hope the O.P. has a greet time, sounds like a grand adventure.

+1
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp (Green) from India is one of my favourite blades of all time, although being fickle I'm falling in love with Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) from Russia
I tried so hard to like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black) from India, but whenever I used it, it was so rough that it felt like my face was being licked by an angry tomcat

It is funny about blades how some seem so smooth yet some feel so rough and with these 7 o'clock blades that come from the same factory how different they feel. The Gillette Wilkinson Sword(blue box) I didn't care for the first blade but the last couple I tried I actually thought they were decent. The 7 o'clock Supers(black box) I thought the first blade I used it was like being in shave heaven but the last one or two I have tried I haven't much cared for. I am on my 7th Permasharp(green) blade and have yet to find any of them I didn't like. 6th shave this morning and it was cutting smooth I just over did it and ended up with some razor burn. How different these 3 are and all have the same address on the box.

Of the few Russian blades I have tried the only one I have made it through a complete shave with is the Perma-Sharp in the brown box. The first blade or two I tried I thought they were rough but lately I can get 3 real decent shaves with them.

A big +1 for 7 o Clock (both green Permasharps and black SPs) and Centwin Super Platinum. You're not going to find SuperMax anywhere here in S.India (except the bad Supermax Stainless blades). Wilkies aren't worth it. Laser Ultra is probably great for a single shave. Don't even go near those Zorrik or Topaz blades. I'm sorry, but there just aren't many good blades in India at the moment that are actually available out there. The two 7 o clocks are pretty much it. Everything else out there, very ordinary - simply unable to find other SuperMax variants (like the Plat, Plat+, Super Plat, Blue Diamond or Titanium) here in India.

Top Bottom