What's new

Transferring to a Mason Jar

I have both pint and half pint jars. All this talk of jarring and I had to go to the basement and take stock. The horror! I only had 2 empty jars. Told the wife I needed more. She said "are you anticipating some for christmas?" I said no I'm just low. I then asked " should I be? " and her response was " you should be". Just when I think I don't like my wife, I love her again.

:thumbup:

Supportive spouses are the absolute best! She's a keeper for sure.

Take this for what it's worth coming from a lurking member that's posting for the first time, but I'm going to dissent and suggest not to open up your tins to move the tobacco to jars. These Solani tins are vacuum sealed, meaning the tobacco inside hasn't any air and has thus been subject to an anaerobic fermentation process. Opening the tins will disrupt it. And then sticking them in jars filled with air? Maybe an aerobic fermentation process will thus begin—maybe it will not.

If you think the seals are your tins are questionable (the rectangular European style tins do have a bit of a reputation) then yeah, move the tobacco to jars. But you can check the quality of the seal by flicking the bottom of the tin; it'll sound entirely different than one whose seal's been compromised.

Just my two cents.

Take this for what it's worth coming from a lurking member that's posting for the first time, but I'm going to dissent and suggest not to open up your tins to move the tobacco to jars. These Solani tins are vacuum sealed, meaning the tobacco inside hasn't any air and has thus been subject to an anaerobic fermentation process. Opening the tins will disrupt it. And then sticking them in jars filled with air? Maybe an aerobic fermentation process will thus begin—maybe it will not.

If you think the seals are your tins are questionable (the rectangular European style tins do have a bit of a reputation) then yeah, move the tobacco to jars. But you can check the quality of the seal by flicking the bottom of the tin; it'll sound entirely different than one whose seal's been compromised.

Just my two cents.

I always prefer to leave the tobacco in a sealed tin, but that's just it...the 100g Solani tins have no seal. The tobacco is wrapped in a cello bag and the tin lid, which is hinged, is taped down. It's a pretty snug fit, but I speak from experience that it is not sealed and the tobacco within will dry out completely.

Just my two cents.

And what a great first post! Thank you for sharing!!

I moved all my 1.5 oz bags into the little "jam jars" to seal them up good- I'm a slow smoker so wanted them to keep over a long period. I did however keep the pouches that it came in for any "take along" needs as they arise.

Top Bottom