What's new

The Proraso 2-minute drill

Proraso users: do you or do you not follow the label directions to wait two minutes between lathering and shaving? (They say it's to allow the beard to soften, but I think it's to allow the camphor to numb the face.) If you do wait the two minutes, do you also do so with other shaving creams?

Thanks!

I typically work the soap or cream for about a minute into my face. Then I move on to stropping. I do 50 laps which takes about a minute to a minute and a half. I do this after I get out of the shower. Nothing can make a bad shave faster than bad prep. A softened beard is easy to shave and leaves favorable results. I use the same routine for every shave regardless of the products used.

I tried waiting the two minutes once, cream thickened up and face cooled down... Now I splash fresh hot water, little pre cream, face lather, shave. Rinse with hot water between passes, dip end of brush in hot water for a hot re-lather, it works for me.

I prefer 3 minutes or more..Rushing to do an inferior job on my face is part of what brought me to B&B..May all of you shaves be smooth....

Proraso users: do you or do you not follow the label directions to wait two minutes between lathering and shaving? (They say it's to allow the beard to soften, but I think it's to allow the camphor to numb the face.) If you do wait the two minutes, do you also do so with other shaving creams?

Thanks!

Which Proraso product has those label directions? I use the pre/post and the soap from the green tub, never seen those directions.

I face lather for about a minute I'd say. I don't wait after that to start shaving. My beard is soft enough from Kyle's prep (with Proraso p/p under the hot towel instead of lather).

Jan Pieter

Maybe I have a really soft beard or something but umm ...

Er...

Ah...

I'm embarrassed to admit this in here...

I zoned out the other day and forgot to apply any shaving cream or soap after the Proraso.

I ended up shaving both cheeks and jaws (no neck) - just fine I might add - before I noticed.

It had been on my stupid face for about a stupid minute before I started.

Heh.

Which Proraso product has those label directions? I use the pre/post and the soap from the green tub, never seen those directions.

I face lather for about a minute I'd say. I don't wait after that to start shaving. My beard is soft enough from Kyle's prep (with Proraso p/p under the hot towel instead of lather).

Jan Pieter

The directions are on the green tube I have.

Thanks!

I use the SC as a pre-shave (I haven't bought the pre/post yet - it's on my list) along with Kyle's prep. After the prep, I take a few minutes to work the lather in with the brush. Works great for me.

I normally lather my face up with Proraso Green and then put a hot towel on my face for a couple minutes until I really feel the tingle... then I rinse it off w/ hot water and relather and shave....

Waiting a couple of minutes is actually part of the directions for many shaving creams, including the canned foam. It only makes sense to allow the stuff a chance to affect the beard before applying the blade. That's an advantage to face lathering, by the time you have lathered up it has been a couple of minutes.

Do any of you use the red proraso? If you do I have never tried it and I am looking for some. If you do use it is it true it smells like rotting wheat germ? Thanks

I do use and love the green. And I will wait two minutes on my next shave.

I need to work these two minutes into my shave routine...I usually just lather up and go to it. Thanks for the heads-up!

I usually shave post-shower. On a Proraso day, I work a small dollop of shaving cream into my beard when I get in the shower and rinse it off before I get out. The heat/steam/warm water of the shower, along with the cream, softens my whiskers nicely. Before shaving, I use a bit of Pre-shave oil, then I face lather. Works well!

Did this today using an HD and a day-4 Feather--what a great shave! :smile:

I use Bigelow's Green, and I generally rub it in by hand for a minute, and then let it sit for a minute while I do other things. If I apply the cream while I'm in the shower, it might be up to five minutes before I apply the blade.

In either case, I always splash a little more water on and rub it in more by hand before I start shaving.

Nowhere did I find any directions that say to wait ... I figured it out on my own.

I seem to have gotten my groove down. Hot shower and rub in some Proraso pre during the shower. Scrub down, lather with Proraso, rinse hair and condition, rinse body, quick first WTG pass in the shower (biggest chunks of hair gets washed away for me), relather, get out of shower and finish shave at the sink. I wait ~ a minute or so letting the cream soak, and with all the humidity in the shower, it doesn't get dry. I've done this twice and both times I got a full on hardcore BBS shave!

I typically work the soap or cream for about a minute into my face. Then I move on to stropping. I do 50 laps which takes about a minute to a minute and a half. I do this after I get out of the shower. Nothing can make a bad shave faster than bad prep. A softened beard is easy to shave and leaves favorable results. I use the same routine for every shave regardless of the products used.

Waiting a couple of minutes is actually part of the directions for many shaving creams, including the canned foam. It only makes sense to allow the stuff a chance to affect the beard before applying the blade. That's an advantage to face lathering, by the time you have lathered up it has been a couple of minutes.

Indeed. Muhle's soaps actually have that on the instructions: "Lather the beard area with brush and water. Ideally allow it to take effect for 1-2 minutes."

After I was my face with Kiehl's Facial Fuel Energizing Face Wash, I apply Prorasso Pre Post to my face. The steam and the hot water really soften the whiskers. I then prepare the cream/soap of the day and apply. Works great.

What I don't do is apply Prorasso Pre Post after a shave. I have seen other posts about this. If Prorasso opens the pores why would we apply it as an after shave, don't we want to close the pores?

I've done this the two most recent times I've used Proraso....
Prep my face as usual, then when I squirt some Proraso into my bowl, I wet my fingers, pick up a little cream and work it onto my face for a few seconds, then grab my brush and build up some lather in the bowl - that gives the cream a couple minutes to soften the whiskers, then I wet my face again and get to work with my brush, works great.
I've even started doing this when using soaps, works great for me....
YMMV, etc etc

Top Bottom