What's new

Brand

Guys, which BRAND of straights are at the top? Want to get a good one. I know everyone has their own opinion, but I would appreciate some direction if you all can help me.

Ralf Aust seems to be the best modern production razor you can get without mortgaging your house and/or selling your soul to satan.
If you want vintage, C. V. Heljestrand and Filarmonica seems to be the best. YMMV

Vintage or new? Production or custom? If you're just learning, the "brand" won't matter so much, and your preference will likely change . . . . repeatedly.

Depends on the style you want to. Point, size, thumb notches, jimps, etc. It seems like some brands only make certain types of razors. Budget is also a point for consideration. For new production razors, Ralf Aust seems to be popular. I like my Dovo a lot, but would not recommend one of their cheaper models. For around $200 you can get a Jerry Stark razor. Let us know some more specifics of what you are looking for and I am sure you will get some great answers.

Legion

Staff member
Best at what? Best shaver, most fancy, most hyped... ?

Some would say the best is the one that does a good job for the cheapest price. Others will say it is the most luxurious build and materials. This is the ultimate YMMV question.

The best honed razor is the best.

Brand doesn't matter all that much. It does, as far as aesthetics and craftsmanship. But 95% of the performance comes from how each razor is honed

The best honed razor is the best.

Brand doesn't matter all that much. It does, as far as aesthetics and craftsmanship. But 95% of the performance comes from how each razor is honed
Yes, pretty much any razor can be made to shave well. There is however a feel to the steel. Some feel softer than other.

Legion

Staff member
My "best razor" is a brand that most would have never heard of, and I had not heard of it either. It was cheap, because it was unknown and rusty, but I bought it because the ebay pics looked like it had genuine ivory scales, which are pretty rare in Oz. They were ivory, and I cleaned the rust off, and I love it. It is my go to razor, despite having many others that cost a lot more.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Lots of factors in what makes a razor 'great' but first for me is sharp. How sharp can I get it and how long does it retain that edge.

Different lengths, weights, steels, barber notches, jimping, grinds, etc... all make a difference in how it shaves or feels while you are shaving. Unfortunately, most of us do not find it right off the bat so you need to try a few razors.

Interesting fact. One of my best shaving, sharpest getting, razors was purchased from Seraphim (above on this thread) and it was crafted from a cheap gold dollar razor. I have many razors that cost 20-30 times what the GD cost but they don't feel or shave any better.

Last weekend I bought an ATOR razor (Friedrich Ern Solignen) from a bric-a-brac shop in Paignton in Devon. It cost me £20, say $30 US.

I had to "bread knife it as there were a couple of tiny notches in the blade, and I then honed it. It is the best shaving razor I own - and I have I regret to say, about 50!

If you are just starting, then it would nto have been costly to have had such a razor corrected and honed. Here in ~England such work would cost about £30 I suppose.

C.

Top Bottom