What's new

New brush contemplations

Help a fellow shaver out guy's.
So after almost 1,5 year of using an entry omega badger brush i kinda want to upgrade to a new softer brush.
I did some investigating and i think i wouldn't like a scratchy brush but would a little scrubby.
That is why i'm thinking i'll like a shavemac in silvertip 2 band the most. Well ..... they seem to be their softest version of brushes.
Thing is ..... I have no idea what shape of knot to choose from since ive been face lathering with the omega for quite a while now.
Gives me the best result because it is a fan shaped brush. I never knew that when i started whet shaving.
Just whipped up the lather in a big mug. Often to dry or to moist, whatever.
Now i don't want to be stuck with a brush that is only good for face or bowl lathering, witch is why i was eyeing a simpson duke 3 as well.
The duke seems to have a geometry that is a mixed bulb/fan. Does this make it perform well in both area's?
And how scratchy, scrubby, soft is that manchurian hair compared to shavemacs 2 band silvertip?
I use creams and pucks btw. Dunno if that should affect performance of either brushes/brands?

I know i should probably get both :) but these are some expensive brushes man. Would want to get it right the first time if u know what i mean.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The Manchurian hair, and I mean here the version that is sold by Simpson, is very comparable to Shavemac D01 Two-band hair.
It is a thicker stemmed hair, stiffer and a bit scrubby when compared to the Shavemac Two-band silvertip, which is quite soft and not scritchy or scrubby at all.
I have no experience with any other badger hair that carries the "Manchurian" in the name, only Simpson and Shavemac D01-2band.

The Manchurian hair, and I mean here the version that is sold by Simpson, is very comparable to Shavemac D01 Two-band hair.
It is a thicker stemmed hair, stiffer and a bit scrubby when compared to the Shavemac Two-band silvertip, which is quite soft and not scritchy or scrubby at all.
I have no experience with any other badger hair that carries the "Manchurian" in the name, only Simpson and Shavemac D01-2band.
Hello rudy. I've seen ur name mentioned here a few times. U make brushes am i right?
Would u say the shavemac D01 - 2 band is scratchy or prickly then? Or just stiffer and scrubby?
What i'd also like to know is how well would a fan shape brush perform in bowls and a bulb on the face?
How would u classify the shape of the Duke 3 then, compared 2 the knots of shavemac

For the price point, once you get your knot figured out, I would recommend that you just commission it from Rudy. He does amazing work and will get you set up exactly the way you want. Plus he is an absolute pleasure to do business with.

I have both fan and bulb type brushes. I have no problems using both in both bowl and face lathering. It's really a matter of personal preference, IMHO. Many folks on this forum prefer fans or flattops for face lathering. However, for me I don't like flattops but like the bulbs, fans, and hybrids equally. I have a Duke 3 as well as a number of Shavemac knots and brushes. I find the Duke 3 to be similar to the Shavemac 177 in Silvertip.

Top Bottom