What's new

Oristo Razor review

Received my Oristo razor today and I can freely talk about it now that the Kickstarter campaign is over and the razors have been delivered to the backers. During the campaign, many (including Joe from RR) commented that this razor was a clone of the Black Mamba and so I jumped at that chance only because I missed out when they were selling land in the Volcano District of Hawaii that was guaranteed to double in 5 years.

The razor came in a cardboard box that looked a lot like the See’s Lollipop box, which immediately started me thinking about what was inside. Inside was the Oristo and a pack of Shark and Astra blades and a warning card (and whoever needed that warning should not be shaving with sharp implements). I immediately took the Oristo out and first thing I noticed was the weight. This was a heavy razor not unlike the RR Wunderbar. Next thing was the finish. Flawless finish, again, not unlike the Wunderbar.

$DSC01242a.jpg$DSC01243a.jpg$DSC01249a.jpg

In disassembling the razor, it did not use the conventional pin on the top cap and holes on the bottom like most razors. Remember this is a Black Mamba clone. There were two round stubs on the bottom plate (the Oristo people call it the “anvil”) and corresponding indentations on the top cap (the “retainer”).One thing I noticed immediately was that the bottom plate (I mean the anvil) was very heavy. This was partially because it was thick, but also because it didn’t have two big holes in it. Blade loading took a while to adjust to, but once done and screwed on to the handle, it felt very well balanced. The handle (they didn’t come up with a different name) was very nice. It had a good feel to it and appeared to be a very stylized Bamboo design. Together, the Oristo just felt comfortable in hand.

$DSC01244a.jpg$DSCF0205a.jpg

As I usually do for my first shave, I took a used blade out of another razor, which happened to be the Wunderbar that I shaved with last night and instead of using my usual farmer’s market soap loaded with bentonite clay, I decided to break out the RR Dead Sea Soap since that was a clone of the Black Mamba.

First pass was WTG and I could immediately feel the blade on my face, but not in an aggressive way (kind of like the Fatip Testina). I adjusted the angle a little and could still feel the blade, but was amazed at how efficient and painless the first pass was. I then went ATG for my second pass and it was so smooth that at times I had to check my angle just to make sure I was taking off whiskers. When I checked after the second pass, I did not have to do a third pass or even a touch up. I think I could have just done touch up for my second pass. Most times, I am satisfied with a DFS after two passes and touch up, but with the Oristo, I got a BBS after two passes and no touch up.

I don’t know how the Oristo compares to the Black Mambas ince I was not one of the few that was able to get one, but I definitely can compare it to the Wunderbar which I shaved with last night. I would say that they are both equivalent in the finish and in the shave. Build quality is about the same for both, which is excellent.

At this time, I am not sure if the Oristo folks will be putting this razor on the market after fulfilling the pledges, although earlyin the campaign I asked them that and they did say their intention was to put this into production. Be on the look out for it because it is definitely worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking razor , reminds me of Maggards razors...How's the prices ?

Don't know what the final price will be because I was an earlybird backer, but I suspect that once it hits retail, it would be around $100 - $150 which was what the Black Mamba and Wunderbar were selling for and this is about equal quality.

...Makes Maggards look like a real bargain , which they are , very nice quality , low price.

Yes definitely Maggards are a bargain as I owned the v2, v3, and v3a heads at one time along with the MR6 handle, but believe me, NONE of those heads were as smooth shaving and as well finished as the Oristo.

Well Oristo just went live with their web site.

http://www.stashedandfound.com/

Plain uncoated Oristo going for CD$199, which comes out around $150 US. Definitely more than I expected and maybe more than it is worth IMHO.

Yes [MENTION=28956]malocchio[/MENTION] the Maggards are definitely looking to be a better bargain and for that price, the RR Wunderbar looks like a better bargain.

That looks to me like too high a price for a razor with no option to customize, and a handle that doesn't appeal to me. It's true I have plenty of other handles I could replace it with (I assume it has the standard thread) but I wouldn't want to pay for something I would never use.

Ouch. $200?

Granted, I have spent more than that over the past 2 years on Ebay Techs, Super Speeds, Slims, and Fatboys. And made with Stainless Steel, it should last several lifetimes over.

Come to think of it, if I sold everything I have and bought one (taking for granted it gives a shave comparable to a Super Speed) this would still be quite a bargain over the next 40 years.

I still wish it was cheaper. But that's because I am cheap. Also, I like to have spares, should anything happen to my razor. Which is why I find myself with about 12 razors...

Well Oristo just went live with their web site.

stashedandfound

Plain uncoated Oristo going for CD$199, which comes out around $150 US. Definitely more than I expected and maybe more than it is worth IMHO.

Yes [MENTION=28956]malocchio[/MENTION] the Maggards are definitely looking to be a better bargain and for that price, the RR Wunderbar looks like a better bargain.
I got mine for a lot less than that. I can't tell you on here how much I paid or where I got it.

Does anyone know how it compares to the 34c
It is different, but similar. The blades are held differently. Both are fairly mild, but the Oristo is even less likely to cause irritation. It also might shave a little more efficiently for me, but the 34 isn't bad. Blades load easily in the Oristo and it doesn't allow any adjustment. It is perfectly aligned every time. Of course the Oristo is 316 stainless while the Merkur is cheaper ZAMAC. Cost of an Oristo can be three times more than a Merkur, but I paid closer to twice as much on one of the Massdrops.

Top Bottom