What's new

DOVO's

I've got two Dovo razors, Dovo's Best and Prima Klang, both 5/8. I hone my own razors, I have 27 total of various makers. My question is with my Dovo's they are my least preferred razor to shave with at times causing irritation. I hone all my razors with the same attention/progression. The edges look good under scope but the shave is not as comfortable. Does anyone else experience this with Dovo 5/8's?

My first Dovo was a Renaissance 6/8 and I hated it initially. I got it new and the factory edge was just almost there. Once I honed it, it became a favorite.
The Dovo steel is good, so I don't see any reasons why it would behave differently than your other 25 razors.

I have a couple Dovos also - a Carré and a Bergischer Löwe. Both shave quite well for me. I've never noticed any issues with irritation that weren't caused by a not quite there edge.

I have a Dovo 6/8 Best Quality. I didn't care for the factory edge, but once I touched it up I really like the shaves I am getting from this razor.

Might be your honing. A slight change or tweek in your process may make them more comfortable for you. I have a 5/8 Dovo Carpe Diem. The first shave or two after honing, it can be kind of harsh. After that, I really enjoy the shaves. For me, an extra 20 or so laps on the strop before shaving makes for a smoother shave. I was getting good, comfortable shaves from it and decided to go a little further on the strop. It made a difference for me. I really enjoy my Dovo.

My experience with Dovo's is that they take a very nice edge. Maybe get someone else to hone one of your Dovo's from scratch and see how it come up? When Dovo's leave the factory they have a very rudimentary edge put on them. Some people then just polish what is an imperfect factory set bevel so the razor will never shave at it's best. I've got two Dovo's (both with the solid MOP scales) and they are both excellent shavers.

Top Bottom