What's new

a refill puck of mitchell wool fat worth buying?

I know some have said they have a hard time lathering with this soap, but is it mostly due to the soap itself or what kind of water you have in your area or both? I live in an area with soft water, so would I be able to get a nice thick lather with this soap? also, the soap is hard based on what others have said, so I take it mwf is a triple milled soap correct? please give me your persona thoughts on this soap and if it worth buying and your thoughts on if you have a hard time lathering this soap. thanks

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It is triple milled, but it also seems to soften up a little more than other triple milled soaps when it's used regularly (which I recommend). Soft water certainly does seem to help.

I love MWF and use it pretty much once each week. It's one of the world's classic shaving soaps. You gotta try it!

When I was having trouble lathering other soaps MWF was great for me. I use their dish and make sure I cover it moist after use. When I used to leave the lid off overnight it dried out and cracked. When I made sure to keep it covered the refill never had that issue.

I put a bit of water on top of the puck and let it sit for a few minutes while I do other things, and then when I go to lather with the pre-soaked brush it is quite good. I also like MWF because for me it has very little if any scent. So I will use it to bowl lather sometimes, with a dab of cream. The scent of the cream doesn't clash with the MWF since it has no scent.

I say it's definitely worth trying. It's one of the very best soaps I've ever used. I must be lucky in that no matter where I live, I have no trouble lathering any soaps, including Williams. I've never had to wet, soak or bloom any soaps either. None. I have found that starting with a brush that has very little water left in it after soaking I get the best lather with these two soaps and DR Harris. Otherwise, they quickly release lots of big bubbles which don't produce the best, lasting lather in my opinion.

My recommendation: Start with a drier than usual brush and after loading, add water slowly as needed. You'll get one of the best lathers around. I'm one who believes soaking the puck before use is totally unnecessary.

This is one of the best soaps out I live in an area with hard water and I don't have a problem with the fat and once you get it right you will never regret it

Yes, it is worth it. I have no problem lathering it once I learned its properties. It is a thirsty soap but once dialed in you will enjoy the lather.

It's a wonderful soap. However, for me, it is one soap that does not provide the thickest lather - but it provides a shave that is slick and lubricating.

MWF is my go-to soap for the cold winter months. It's not only a great performing soap, but its post-shave face feel is unmatched. It is a luxurious soap. No den should be without it.

BTW...I have been known to use The Fat in milder weather also. I tend to get in (good) ruts with soaps, and when I return to MWF I am always glad I did.

Yes get the refill puck.

By the way. A latter issue Old Spice Shaving Mug makes for a very good house for the MWF puck. You just need to shave a tiny bit off the sides all the way around and you're good to go. The Pillsbury frosting plastic lid closes it up nicely too - if anyone's interested to know.

MWF shave soap is a real shaving classic.
If you are a serious wet-shaver, you must try it at some time.

$mitchells wool fat plisson boker penhaligons english fern may 10 2016.jpg

It's a classic - you don't have to like it, but it really helps to have an opinion of it as a reference point when discussing slick soaps. (If cushion is your thing, maybe you won't have that much of a relationship with the 'fat.)

Two great tips above: (1) flick the water off your brush before you begin, start to load, and add water as you go along, and (2) it's a soap that gets better with daily use.

For me the answer is, "Yes indeed!" MWF is an execellent soap in terms of performance once you figure out how to lather it! YMMV and it can prove a problem for some to lather. Also, I do not focus much on soap scents, so take these comments with a grain of salt.

Is that due to gradually absorbing more water?
I find I get better results from Williams Mug if I keep it covered.

If dry, it begins to crack and become more difficult to lather. However, if used frequently it is a tad softer and loads much easier.

Top Bottom