What's new

Chicken salad sandwich

Aaron, you might like a changeup of dried cherries and toasted pecans in place of the dried cranberries and walnut once in a while too. :001_smile

As soon as I saw "dried cherries" I thought, "That person must be from Michigan."
I have fond memories of visiting the Leelanau Peninsula when all the cherry trees were in bloom.
A friend had told me about it years before and it stuck in my mind.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
As soon as I saw "dried cherries" I thought, "That person must be from Michigan."
I have fond memories of visiting the Leelanau Peninsula when all the cherry trees were in bloom.

I guess I do kinda take Michigan's cherry crop for granted. I was surprise when I was visiting my sister in Texas and we couldn't even find frozen tart or sweet cherries at several different supermarkets.

Michigan has a lot of beautiful areas and the Leelanau Peninsula is one of the gems.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Did I mention that they have a lot of vineyards & wineries? :a54:

proxy.php

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

I guess I do kinda take Michigan's cherry crop for granted. I was surprise when I was visiting my sister in Texas and we couldn't even find frozen tart or sweet cherries at several different supermarkets.

Michigan has a lot of beautiful areas and the Leelanau Peninsula is one of the gems.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Did I mention that they have a lot of vineyards & wineries? :a54:

proxy.php

:thumbup:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I use:

Roasted chicken meat (dark or white or both)
A couple of slices of ham (or pork-based products)
A couple of slices of onion
A half of a jalapeno pepper (seeds removed)
A mixture of about 3 parts mayo, 1 part yellow mustard, 1 part Dijon mustard
A little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and (sometime) dill weed
And some shredded cheddar cheese

I toss mine on a slice of bread and pop it in the oven at 450°F for about 10-14 minutes, or until a golden-brown crust starts to appear on the top of the salad.

The same recipe with tuna (with less mustard, no chicken or ham) makes a good tuna melt.

I dont like chicken salad sandwiches with grapes. The brand I can only find in the stores has grapes and for the last 3 months I though they were olives. I found out last week they were grapes and I told my wife to not buy any anymore.

Sounds good! Chicken salad is the one salad I'm not fond of though. I had one similar with the nuts and cranberries, also had a little turmeric and curry in it too for some spice and kick. Great, now I'm hungry.

I like a chicken salad sandwich. Didn't grow up eating them. First one I ever ate was at Thundercloud Subs, loved them ever since.

Now I soup them up:

Roasted or rotisserie chicken. A mixture of both white and dark meat
A big scoop of Mayo with a little bit of Miracle whip
A small scoop of Dijon mustard
handful of dried cranberries
handful of toasted walnuts
1/2 cup of diced celery
1/2 cup of finely diced white onion
s&p to taste
chopped tarragon (this is a must)

Eat it with a nice ripe sliced tomato.

How do you make yours? Or who makes a good one in your town?
Aaron... Take that recipe and add a pich of curry powder and a scoop of Major Grey's chutney and spread it on some toasted raisin bread.

You're welcome....

When it comes to chicken sandwiches, I like to just cut it up and put it on bread with mayo. Sam's has rotisserie chickens for $5. I bought a couple last week- at checkout I found out they were $4 off. Two bucks for two cooked chickens- I felt I hit the jackpot. I gave one of them to the wife for soup, then started making sandwiches.

I'm in this camp. Simple and fast. Though I could see making some actual salad type mix with mayo and curry powder... or mayo and some nice mustard. Skip the celery and miracle whip though, that stuff has almost zero place in my kitchen. lol

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm in this camp. Simple and fast. Though I could see making some actual salad type mix with mayo and curry powder... or mayo and some nice mustard. Skip the celery and miracle whip though, that stuff has almost zero place in my kitchen. lol

I am interested in Aaron's recipe. I need to get a nice bread then make some.

I like it simple as well, slices of whatever may be left from the grilled/rotisseried/roasted bird, fruilano cheese, mayo, dijon mustard, salt and pepper, lettuce, multigrained bagel or bread.

A single 3.5lb uncooked chicken would run me ~$10.

dave

i like it simple too mainly cause that how Grandma and Mom made it.

Top Bottom