What's new

After workout burn.

I workout in the pool doing my arms then I run in the water back and forth about 8 times, I have timer for next time.For about three days after I feel a burning in my muscles:w00t:.. I've read you can eat Omaga-3s to help? I'm eating hemp seed products...I also set in a steam room for about 10-15 minutes..Is there a way I avoid this or is this the only way to build my muscles up..:001_cool:

That burning is from lactic acid, released when muscle tissue is injured (stressed, as happens in working out). I don't know what, if any, effect Omega 3 has on it. If you lighten your workout some, the burning should lessen somewhat.

Sounds like DOMS, as mentioned in the Scientific American article. Make sure you stretch before swimming and that you are well hydrated before you go into the pool. After your swim drink plenty of water and stretch again. Let us know how you do.

Thanks for sharing this. So lactic acid causes the burn during exercise, but not afterward. Interesting that the exact cause is still unknown.

This. Lactic acidosis is a temporary condition that occurs while the muscles are under load. DOMS (delayed onset muscular soreness) is a different critter, and yeah - nothing exists in the literature that is particularly definitive. The main running theory right now is calcium ion accretion, but that isn't well supported either. Part of the issue is that DOMS is about as subjective as you can get. Part is likely that objective data would probably require a ton of biopsies, not something easy to get enough samples for a valid dataset since it is a bit painful.

I recommend seeing a physician and PT, but one thing I have found to help with post-workout muscle burn is a foam roller. Not always pleasant, but definitely helps alleviate the symptoms. Massage therapy is a good way to go as well.

Drink a quart of water while in the Steam room and stay in the Steam room for 20-30 minutes. Hot shower and some Absorbine Jr or other brace to rub into your muscles.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
When I work out after an extended period of non-exercise, I'm sore after a workout for a day or two (depending), but that goes away after a few workouts when my muscles get back to "fit" mode.

If you have something more than this, then Timmyboston is right ... we B&B'ers can't diagnose, let alone treat, your condition, especially over the internet.

Sorry for the delayed response to this. What helps me with post workout soreness, is first and foremost, hydration and nutrition. Make sure you are getting the proper amount of macronutrients (protein, carbs and fat) and water for the workout program you're on/your personal goals. Your body will stay sore for much longer if you are not feeding it the proper nutrients to recover and rebuild itself after intense training. Depending upon your fitness level and your fitness goals (and stance on supplements), supplementing with a carb and BCAAs source via an intraworkout drink during your workout may help expedite the recovery even during the workout.

If soreness and pain continues, seek medical attention.

Good luck!

Top Bottom