What's new

Homemade Pasta

Has anyone ever made fresh pasta? I am thinking about giving it a try and giving away some as X-mas gifts. There seems to be a variety of ways to get it done... oil, water, eggs, yolks, no yolks, types of flour, weight vs volume. The variations seem to go on forever. What might be some good add-ins for color/flavor? So far the thought is some sort of fresh herb. What about the drying of pasta that has things added to it. Does it keep as well?

+1

Get a pasta machine. You can get a decent manual-crank style for pretty short money ($25 or so on Amazon).

Then -- pasta takes PRACTICE. I don't want to discourage you, but going from never-made-it-before to Christmas-gift-quality in two weeks is pretty darn ambitious. I can compare it to making homemade bread -- it looks like it should be easy -- there's only 3 or 4 ingredients, right? But you have to learn to make it be feel, not a specific recipe. Start with a good basic dough recipe and then experiment with proportions for your particular environment and learn what good pasta (or bread) should look and feel like. Proportions will change with weather, ingredient quality, ingredient brands, etc.

I used to make it pretty regularly, but haven't done so in a long time. It's pretty fun and making homemade pasta is a really rewarding and delicious afternoon's activity.

Looks good! I don't know really anything about making pasta, is it just eggs and flour mixed together, or are there other ingredients involved? My curiosity is peaked. Also, can you post a picture of the pasta maker?

Eggs, flour, salt. The ratio of eggs to flour can make for a spirited debate. I usually use 3 eggs per 2 cups of flour and adjust for feel from there.

Of course you can add other flavorings -- black pepper, sundried tomato, pureed vegetables of nearly any sort. You just have to be mindful of the liquid-dry ratio.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Terence- make sure you flour the dough each time before running it through the pasta machine.

In Michael Ruhlman's 'Egg' cookbook he recommends a 2:3 by weight ratio, egg-flour. Weigh the eggs and then adjust the flour quantity to match the ratio. Haven't followed this yet but will give it a go next time i do pasta.

dave

Looks good! I don't know really anything about making pasta, is it just eggs and flour mixed together, or are there other ingredients involved? My curiosity is peaked. Also, can you post a picture of the pasta maker?

View attachment 710962

Flour and eggs with a little salt.
Terence- make sure you flour the dough each time before running it through the pasta machine.
Trying an additional batch tonight. Will dust with flour on each pass. With a lemon butter sauce.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's fun to make pasta. We have one of those rolling machines and pull it out from time to time.

However, lately, we've been using the Philips extrusion maker. There's no doubt that it's not the same as making the pasta by hand, but it's better than store-bought dried pasta and a heck of a lot cheaper (eventually) than store-bought fresh pasta.

It's also fun to fool around with the flour. Go all semolina, part, or none? Use whole wheat or buckwheat? How much?

Homemade pasta is mighty fun. :w00t:

It's been a few years since I made fresh spaghetti. I found that a mix of regular flour and semolina flour worked the best. I don't know the recipe offhand, but I would search for a recipe using both flours. I used the pasta maker attachment on my KitchenAid mixer. After making thin sheets of dough with the roller attachment, I send the sheets through the spaghetti cutter and put them in little piles that look like nests. Once I put it in the boiling water, it doesn't take long to cook at all. It's not like dried spaghetti that has to soften first.

Your shrimp dish looks delicious!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's fun to make pasta. We have one of those rolling machines and pull it out from time to time.

However, lately, we've been using the Philips extrusion maker. There's no doubt that it's not the same as making the pasta by hand, but it's better than store-bought dried pasta and a heck of a lot cheaper (eventually) than store-bought fresh pasta.

It's also fun to fool around with the flour. Go all semolina, part, or none? Use whole wheat or buckwheat? How much?

Homemade pasta is mighty fun. :w00t:
Otay
View attachment 711092

if you have a kitchen-aid mixer you can get the pasta attachment. Makes life a lot easier. Plus you can use the mixer to knead the dough...

Making fresh pasta is a nice hobby and fun way to liven up a dish. One of my favorites we've made is fried ravioli.

We use the kitchen aid attachments and hang cut pasta on a drying rack. Pasta not used the day of prep is coiled and frozen. We sometimes experiment with flour and add spinach or tomatoes but usually go with all purpose Fl.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
In Michael Ruhlman's 'Egg' cookbook he recommends a 2:3 by weight ratio, egg-flour. Weigh the eggs and then adjust the flour quantity to match the ratio. Haven't followed this yet but will give it a go next time i do pasta.

dave

He has an even better books- Ratios. It's invaluable.

That pasta and shrimp looks very appetizing, Terence. Looks like you are off to a great start with your own pasta. If you are as good with this as at finding razors in the wild, you'll be on Chopped in no time!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
It's been a few years since I made fresh spaghetti. I found that a mix of regular flour and semolina flour worked the best. I don't know the recipe offhand, but I would search for a recipe using both flours. I used the pasta maker attachment on my KitchenAid mixer. After making thin sheets of dough with the roller attachment, I send the sheets through the spaghetti cutter and put them in little piles that look like nests. Once I put it in the boiling water, it doesn't take long to cook at all. It's not like dried spaghetti that has to soften first.

When I make pasta I put most of the little nests on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen I move to sandwich bags. Even frozen fresh pasta cooks quickly.

The ratio's book seems like something that would be a great guide for many things. I mostly go by texture and feel for pasta and bread. I'll add flour or water as needed to get the dough to work right.

I do have a mixer but wanted to get an understanding of doing it by hand.

I found a local market that carries the variety enjoyed by those from SE region of the country. Gulf Shrimp for the insanely low price of $15.99/lb.

That pasta and shrimp looks very appetizing, Terence. Looks like you are off to a great start with your own pasta. If you are as good with this as at finding razors in the wild, you'll be on Chopped in no time!

Thanks... I will have to go on Chopped to recoup the coast of the shrimp. I hope I win!

When I make pasta I put most of the little nests on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen I move to sandwich bags. Even frozen fresh pasta cooks quickly.

The ratio's book seems like something that would be a great guide for many things. I mostly go by texture and feel for pasta and bread. I'll add flour or water as needed to get the dough to work right.

I use no water, eggs and flour only. About 10 oz of flour and 6.5 oz of eggs. Half whole eggs the rest just yolks.

How do the frozen ones vary from the nests that have been dried?

Top Bottom