What's new

Face skin is Irritated

Lately my skin on my face has been feeling irritated. Before that I was shaving everyday no problem. I would take a day off here and there. I do not like going with out shaving and I cant do just one pass. I would still look scruffy in a couple of hours. I dont like the scruffy look. I like looking clean. Tried the beard its patchy and with my goatee one connector connects better than the other which drives me nuts. It could just be the weather change with where I live. Im 35 and do not expect my hair on my face to change much. my hair is very coarse on my neck and front area and my facial hair grows fast. What is you insight on this guys. Heres what it looks like when I have grown out my facial hair the beard or scruff beard is about a months worth of growth. $13443298_1346283882055026_7739423898720133816_o.jpg$13350470_1344153272268087_7580795103449290899_o.jpg$12371046_1221439444539471_4671939171411458974_o.jpg$13443039_1348506185166129_5426755030796276424_o.jpg

stick to the goatee, partial beard look, I don't think you could rock the full-beard look, pure genetics, we are all victim of our genetics. We can only grow what nature and DNA has given us. Your beard hair will thicken and toughen up when you get old (like me), mine is just as tough as copper wire, your facial hair looks fairly soft but a bit curly, maybe keeping a well trimmed goatee is a good look for you. Only my humble opinion.

IMHO, the last picture makes you look most natural to me. You seem quite comfortable with yourself in that photo. The short goatee looks very neat and well-trimmed. As to your neck, that's the area I believe most men struggle with having the greatest skin sensitivity. I wonder if two passes WTG and XTG (skipping ATG) would help? It might not be an ideal level of closeness on the neck, but I'm betting it would be a SAS. Kudos to you for putting yourself out there honestly and looking for advice!

yah mon, the single picture you just added looks much better, make the best of what ya' got ... I can grow an awesome moustache but not a beard ... oh well .... maybe when I come back in the next lifetime ... keep my fingers crossed on that one ... LOL

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The question was about irritated areas. do you use any sort of balm after you shave ? which is the most recent photo

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The goatee disconnected on both sides looks good, but check with SWMBO. Her opinion matters most. :thumbup1:

With the irritation, look for constants that have been going on since it started. It could be a slight soap reaction, or perhaps if you are a face latherer, the brush is a little too rough on the skin for you.

Several things to look for if you are suddenly getting irritated skin:

Different razor blades -- I've read quite a few reports of people getting serious irritation much like razor burn but only from platinum coated blades, or certain brands. Probably an allergic reaction, the cure is to not use that blade.

Change in soap, either shaving soap or bath soap. May be worse in dry weather, particularly if you are getting dry skin from your shaving soap. Change in brand or scent could be an issue to, you may be allergic to something in the soap. Try some Ivory, it's about the mildest and least scented stuff out there, or unscented glycerine shave soap with moisturizer after shaving.

Aftershave/balm -- same as soap. Used something new lately?

Different razor or change in technique, intentional or not (pulled muscle, sore elbow, etc can change the way you move your arm, hence your razor).

As far as the unshaven look, stick with a goatee or "musketeer" look, unshaven you look like me unshaven, which is to say politely it's not your best look! Beard is OK, but you would need to shave your neck and that's where you are having trouble.

Good luck!

Peter

I find I need a moisturizer more in the winter to be able to shave daily. I use an asd2 (milder than a tech) and do 1 with the grain, 1 xtg, and touch up. Xoud do it twice a day. Hope that helps, Jeremy.

I developed a shaving technique years ago that has worked well for me. It is the only way I get a DFS to nearly BBS shave without or nearly no irritation given my extremely sensitive skin. I use tallow-based lathers (my face does better with tallow than glycerin-based soaps). First pass is WTG using my DE razor. I reapply the lather and the second pass is with a Panasonic wet/dry razor. There is no need for a third pass. Then alum bar, wash off with cold water, dry and apply aloe non-alcohol witch hazel. After it dries I apply a balm. 10 minutes later I apply a moisturizer.

I developed a shaving technique years ago that has worked well for me. It is the only way I get a DFS to nearly BBS shave without or nearly no irritation given my extremely sensitive skin. I use tallow-based lathers (my face does better with tallow than glycerin-based soaps). First pass is WTG using my DE razor. I reapply the lather and the second pass is with a Panasonic wet/dry razor. There is no need for a third pass. Then alum bar, wash off with cold water, dry and apply aloe non-alcohol witch hazel. After it dries I apply a balm. 10 minutes later I apply a moisturizer.
Cold water is key for my irritation too

I realized guys that its been the new after shave ive been using. the barbasol does not have glycerin in it. The indian wilkinson could be it too. I have ran into some of the blades that only last two shaves. Although most of them are fine. Rainbow super stainless or shark blades seem to be the best for me.

Several things to look for if you are suddenly getting irritated skin:

Different razor blades -- I've read quite a few reports of people getting serious irritation much like razor burn but only from platinum coated blades, or certain brands. Probably an allergic reaction, the cure is to not use that blade.

Change in soap, either shaving soap or bath soap. May be worse in dry weather, particularly if you are getting dry skin from your shaving soap. Change in brand or scent could be an issue to, you may be allergic to something in the soap. Try some Ivory, it's about the mildest and least scented stuff out there, or unscented glycerine shave soap with moisturizer after shaving.

Aftershave/balm -- same as soap. Used something new lately?

Different razor or change in technique, intentional or not (pulled muscle, sore elbow, etc can change the way you move your arm, hence your razor).

As far as the unshaven look, stick with a goatee or "musketeer" look, unshaven you look like me unshaven, which is to say politely it's not your best look! Beard is OK, but you would need to shave your neck and that's where you are having trouble.

Good luck!

Peter

My

main problem areas where I shave is my upper lip area sensitive but the place where my facial hair grows the fastest. and only lately had my chin been sensitive. that area has not been for years.

IMHO, the last picture makes you look most natural to me. You seem quite comfortable with yourself in that photo. The short goatee looks very neat and well-trimmed. As to your neck, that's the area I believe most men struggle with having the greatest skin sensitivity. I wonder if two passes WTG and XTG (skipping ATG) would help? It might not be an ideal level of closeness on the neck, but I'm betting it would be a SAS. Kudos to you for putting yourself out there honestly and looking for advice!

That is a good idea CyJazz since the most prominant is the front and neck area I could do something like that. WTG is easy and no problem. It also itches in a couple of hours if I just did that but if I did that twice then did XTG that might work.

Hmm. Using a nickel plated razor? Nickel allergy is a common problem with stainless steel ear ring posts.

Having your chin get super sensitive is an issue for shaving, for sure!

Peter

Need to add based on having just shaved this morning - I do touch-ups with my Merkur Futur after using the wet/dry electric. Very light touch.

My two cents-- get rid of all facial hair and wear your hair like in the picture you are wearing a 2 shirts in.

My two cents-- get rid of all facial hair and wear your hair like in the picture you are wearing a 2 shirts in.

I

Am balding mars. I have my hair back just like the picture with the two shirts. but it has receded in the back and now starting in the front but thats life.

The goatee disconnected on both sides looks good, but check with SWMBO. Her opinion matters most. :thumbup1:

With the irritation, look for constants that have been going on since it started. It could be a slight soap reaction, or perhaps if you are a face latherer, the brush is a little too rough on the skin for you.

Today went better today Sam. I couldnt stay away from shaving. Only did two passes its mainly the after shave. The barbosol doesnt agree with my skin and I decided to add aloe vera gel again for my skin to heal better after ward.

Top Bottom