What's new

Old, but SHINY NEW. Yay!

Very nice! I'm actually a little jealous because your pictures look better than anything I seem to be able to take.
Chris at razorplate is the only guy I will let replate my razors. His craftsmanship is unmatched.:thumbup1:

I also wanted to point out that those vintage Rubie blades are great performers. They are not quite at the level of vintage Wilkinsons or P74s, but they are still excellent blades.

I got it from my favorite UK supplier. I haven't seen the 10015 on any US websites.

Here's a link to the brush, and if you scroll down you'll find my review of it (but beware, it's written in English English :wink2:).

Cool! I used my Brit to 'merican translator. :laugh: Actually seemed reasonably normal, well, for a Scot/Brit anyway! :001_rolle

That is truly nice looking and gives me the Aha!! moment that I needed. I really enjoy my fat handle tech and the only real objection I have had to my NEW is that I don't care for the small handle. Perhaps Fat Handle + NEW head= solution. As my daughter would tell me, Duh!!!! If I can overcome my OCD as well as my RAD, I might get a lot more out of this collection.

I tried putting a ball end tech handle on an Old Type head, and it felt like the right weight but looked too slender. That fat handle looks a lot better, but for some reason Gillette made the fat handle about 1/3 lighter than the ball handle of the same length. It's hollow, though, and I was thinking about dropping some birdshot into one to give it some heft commensurate with its size, then attaching it to an Old Type or New head. I wonder if anyone has done that to good effect.

I tried putting a ball end tech handle on an Old Type head, and it felt like the right weight but looked too slender. That fat handle looks a lot better, but for some reason Gillette made the fat handle about 1/3 lighter than the ball handle of the same length. It's hollow, though, and I was thinking about dropping some birdshot into one to give it some heft commensurate with its size, then attaching it to an Old Type or New head. I wonder if anyone has done that to good effect.

Don't go by looks, go by shave! Back to back shaves with a Tech+fat Tech handle, and a Tech+Durham Duplex handle, which is solid brass, proved to me that the stock fat Tech handle is perfect. The Durham Duplex handle is the same diameter, but much heavier, and the weight was NOT beneficial. Don't hold it in your hand and look at it, shave with it! :thumbup1:

Don't go by looks, go by shave! Back to back shaves with a Tech+fat Tech handle, and a Tech+Durham Duplex handle, which is solid brass, proved to me that the stock fat Tech handle is perfect. The Durham Duplex handle is the same diameter, but much heavier, and the weight was NOT beneficial. Don't hold it in your hand and look at it, shave with it! :thumbup1:
:thumbup: That Toby boy knows his stuff! And it ain't Rocket Science.

WOW! Enjoy! :thumbup:
:biggrin1: I certainly am. Thank you BigJ.

Sorry, Toby, but aesthetics are part of the equation too. A good razor must not only shave well but look good too. If that weren't the case, there would be no point in refinishing an old brass razor. There's a lot more to shaving, for me at least, than cutting hair effectively.

Sorry, Toby, but aesthetics are part of the equation too. A good razor must not only shave well but look good too. If that weren't the case, there would be no point in refinishing an old brass razor. There's a lot more to shaving, for me at least, than cutting hair effectively.

But you were talking about adding weight to the handle, shave with the fat Tech handle for a few days and see how it goes. :thumbup1:

But you were talking about adding weight to the handle, shave with the fat Tech handle for a few days and see how it goes. :thumbup1:
I've done that, and I liked it. This past week I was using a setup just like the OP's only much less shiny and Chris-ified. Old Type head on a fat handle tech handle. I liked it, but then I put a ball-end tech handle on, and I liked the weight even better, but not the look or the slenderness of the handle in my fingers. So I tried a couple other handles: Ikon Bulldog? Nope. Star brass? Nope. DD DuBarry? Nope.

So I says to myself, "Self, what you need is just a few more grams of weight in that fat handle." And I immediately agreed with myself.

I just have to dig around the ammo closet for some #9 birdshot and see if it fits. I'll try again and see if I can get the aesthetic appeal and girth of the fat handle with the weight of the ball end.

But there's no way my set up is going to look as fine as the razor at the top of this thread. Man, that's a gorgeous razor.

Top Bottom