What's new

Old, but SHINY NEW. Yay!

I received my 1920s Gillette Old Type head on its 1946 Fat Tech handle back from Chris at RazorPlate today.

Please excuse my smartphone pics, they don’t do it justice. :001_rolle

$G-Old-Type-3_2016-12-06.jpg $G-Old-Type-4_2016-12-06.jpg

Here’s a few measurements for the geeks out there (in grams g and millimeters mm):

PARTWt gØWidthDepthHeight
Handle23.011.676.7
Baseplate11.539.924.0
Cap14.739.819.4
Cap Pins04.7
Complete Unit49.239.924.080.7

$G-Old-Type-1_2016-12-06.jpg $G-Old-Type-2_2016-12-06.jpg

Looks wise (in person) it’s just fabulous. :biggrin1:

I’ll report on my first shave in my next post…

Beautiful. Congratulations. The fat handle on the OT head is a good look for sure. Chris has a couple of my razors right now, and I'm excited to see his work. Thanks for posting. You've oomphed my anticipation.

Is that the head from the short fat handle deal you were shaving with?

Shave and tell us about it, I've come to prefer bare brass against my face. I don't experience any joy when using a plated razor. Still thinking about sending my Piccolo to Chris (@nocutsnonicksnoweepers) to get the nickel stripped! :thumbup1:

Beautiful. Congratulations. The fat handle on the OT head is a good look for sure. Chris has a couple of my razors right now, and I'm excited to see his work. Thanks for posting. You've oomphed my anticipation.
:biggrin1: Thank you Komboloi.

Is that the head from the short fat handle deal you were shaving with?
Yes it is. It was due to posts by you [MENTION=102704]troy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=84529]rudyt[/MENTION] that I got the Fat Tech handle. :thumbup1:

Shave and tell us about it, I've come to prefer bare brass against my face. I don't experience any joy when using a plated razor. Still thinking about sending my Piccolo to Chris (@nocutsnonicksnoweepers) to get the nickel stripped! :thumbup1:
I know you've been a BARE brASS fan for some time. :wink2:
If you do get your Piccolo stripped I'd be interested to see pics, and a report on any changes that makes to the shave with it.

Our first shave, my new shiny Old Type and me:

$G-Old-Type_SOTD_2016-12-06.jpg

That was great. :thumbup:
The handle recommendation via [MENTION=89729]TobyC[/MENTION], [MENTION=102704]troy[/MENTION], and [MENTION=84529]rudyt[/MENTION] was spot on. It passed my handle test with first class honors… I didn’t notice it. The Old Type head I already loved, but it’s even nicer in its new clothes, thanks to Chris.

Last week I spotted [MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION] Marcus’ Scottish Perma Sharps thread and thought it would be wonderful to celebrate my first “new shiny Old Type” shave with one of those blades from the ‘60s. Marcus very kindly sent me two packs of them, plus the 5pack of vintage Rubies showing in the OP totally free of charge.
Thank you Marcus. :thumbup1:

The Perma-Sharps are really excellent blades, and were produced less than five miles away from where I lived in Scotland during my school days.

All in all I’m super pleased, and smiling as I feel my BBS face.

FOOTNOTE for Rudy:
Yes, steep nearly all of the way. :wink2:

I like that brush bubba, from where did it come?
I got it from my favorite UK supplier. I haven't seen the 10015 on any US websites.

Here's a link to the brush, and if you scroll down you'll find my review of it (but beware, it's written in English English :wink2:).

Top Bottom