What's new

My First atempt at making scales

This was just a practice run. Not going to put them on a blade beside just to see how they work plus I git to build the wedge still but here it is. The picture don't show the sine as well as the naked eye but a CA finish but only 6 coats. I might go ahead and pin them on a blade so I can practice that too. They are 1/8 inch thick at this time. I was afraid they were going to be too thin.

I was thinking I'd put more layers of CA on but now that they are buffed with rubbing compound I'm afraid it wouldn't mix with the next layers of CA. Anyone agree with this or think its ok? Not bad for a first try if I say so myself!
:blush:
$20161205_230324.jpg

Now I know what I'm up against so its time to buy some nice wood for this project and give it my all.

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I don't think one 1/8 inch is to thick. I personally sand my wood scales down to 0.065 - 0.090 thickness depending on wood.
The finish on them looks fabulous. If you wanted more finish, scuff them up with some 320–400 grit and wipe down with some acetone.
Your work looks great. Keep at it and you'll be a pro before you know it.

Thanks guys. These were just for practice but i guess i could just hook them to a razor and go with it. I was planning on buying some better wood and really making my first. If i complete these then they will be my first and im not ready.

I wasnt smart enough to make the wedge and get it coated with CA and i drilled the pin holes without having them connected so they dont line up as perfect as id like. I mocked it up with a blade and you can see things are not lined up as well as they should be and my first attempt at a wedge didnt come out right but now i know what im doing.

I made myself a step by step instruction today to building scales so i wont skip any steps next time. Id post it up but i know its got to be missing some steps. And there are so many vids about doing this this, you can see the steps done and dont need my hit and miss instructions.

When i get some more wood and start over i might post up all my steps with pics just because. I know folks here love pics. So in the future we will see how good of a scale builder and razor restorer i can be. Remember, ive only been holding straight for 3 weeks or so, so im very new but like to jump in with both feet. Ha.

They look nice. The pictures make it look like the holes are larger than 1/16" but that's probably just my perception that is off. It is important to get the holes line up precisely especially the ones use to pin the blade on.

I think you should pin a blade on for the practice. Why stop short of full completion? You want to make your next one perfect but if you don't follow through with pinning on this one you may make a pinning mistake on your next one. You can always take this one apart if you don't want anything less than perfection.

I think this one is nice looking by the way. You can correct the holes that don't line up, fill in any gap, and cover the gap with horse collar type washers.

They look nice. The pictures make it look like the holes are larger than 1/16" but that's probably just my perception that is off. It is important to get the holes line up precisely especially the ones use to pin the blade on.

I think you should pin a blade on for the practice. Why stop short of full completion? You want to make your next one perfect but if you don't follow through with pinning on this one you may make a pinning mistake on your next one. You can always take this one apart if you don't want anything less than perfection.

I think this one is nice looking by the way. You can correct the holes that don't line up, fill in any gap, and cover the gap with horse collar type washers.

You know. Thats a good idea. I should pin these so i k ow how that is done too. To keep from messing up my next one. Thanks for that. And thanks all for the props on these scales. Dont know when ill make my next one. Might be in a few weeks.

Two tips about peening. Many light taps is much better than any heavy ones and once pinned if it's not tight enough and you've tried tapping don't continue to tap. You may need to reduce the length of the rod before further tapping. I just file it in place a bit and then tap some more.

Yes, I've just learned that lesson seattleshaver. Light taps are the rule.
My challenge was getting the little rosette washer to stay on to get it started.

Two tips about peening. Many light taps is much better than any heavy ones and once pinned if it's not tight enough and you've tried tapping don't continue to tap. You may need to reduce the length of the rod before further tapping. I just file it in place a bit and then tap some more.

So lets say i got all the parts together, how long should the pin stick out on each side before putting the hammer to it? 1/16? 1/32?

I did find out how to peen one end before installing in scales. Still would be nice to hear how long sticking out. Thanks all.

So lets say i got all the parts together, how long should the pin stick out on each side before putting the hammer to it? 1/16? 1/32?

I did find out how to peen one end before installing in scales. Still would be nice to hear how long sticking out. Thanks all.
I haven't measured it but 1/32 sounds about right. Actually, it's just long enough for the washer to stay on while you are messing around with it. Once you are finished it's not sticking out at all.

I use two hammers to set the pin but I'm just using one hammer head as a anvil. It's even better if you have a small hole or depression drilled in the anvil so that the pin can have some length while you are peening the other side.

For me, the pin is always going to be too long initially until I can tap both sides enough for the washers to not fall off. The blade will be too loose at this point. Then I file down one side and tap and if it's tight enough I stop. If not I file a little more and tap again until it is tight enough.

Top Bottom