What's new

45 things every Self-Respecting Man should own by age 30.

On the list....WD-40/or any other type of lubricant.

WD-40 isn't a lubricant but, as the name implies a... water displacer formula #40. Probably good to have WD-40 and a lubricant.

I'm missing 22 of those items.

I don't care how old I am...I'll never have a gym membership.

IhadonewhenIwas22...
Now I'm 62 and I might get one again.
a gym is a great place to meet women,
or so I've heard.

I just hope I get a place with free wifi.

Buy more stuff. Number one on this list should be a well funded retirement account.

Last edited:
I've managed to make it to age 62 and I wash my bedsheets about once a year (usually on the 4th of July, when I deep-clean the Master Bathroom) whether they need it or not.

Q: Do you know when Life-Long Bachelors clean their house?
A: Whenever the hell they feel like it.

Then again, maybe if I had paid more attention to housekeeping,
I wouldn't have been single (and lonely) for so long.

I feel like there are a variety of happy compromises between 1 week and 1 year.

YMMV, but I think both values are ridiculous.

Regarding the list itself - certainly there are many things on it which many men simply don't need. However, I think it would be fair to say that it would be worthwhile for every man to at least consider these things, and make an informed decision.

• Is it time to replace that 'good' sweater that mom bought me 10 years ago with a blazer?
  • Do I own any underwear without holes?
  • Am I more likely to get a promotion if I swap the polos for button-ups?
  • Would my girlfriend be more willing to visit if I owned plates without spongebob on them?
  • etc.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
And a second set of bed sheets.

And only a second here. I have a split king Sleep number with adjustable base. Because of the adjustable base, the fitted sheet are made a little differently so they don't come untucked when you elevate. The price for a set of sheets for this bed is a little over $100

Buy more stuff. Number one on this list should be a well funded retirement account.

I was thinking about that, too. Certainly a checking account. Some investments of some sort. An dentist. A credit card that is not maxed out. A decent credit rating. Adulthood is complex.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Attachments

• $two.jpg
    $two.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 68
Well, for me spelling dont count for nothing as I cant spell or write. As far as the 45 things, I'm missing 22 of 45. At the age of 53 and I'm happy with what I got. Dont know why anyone would want a suit. Just my opinion on one item in the list. I cant ware it to work, Dont go to church and cant see any reason if my life time to need one. Or a Tie!

Sorry, I just dont agree.

Yeah, I don't agree at all either... Why the heck would I want a watch these days? Or a suit? Suits are uncomfortable and expensive. I'm cheap, and I like being comfortable. WHAT man owns that many pairs of shoes? I thought this was about the things a man of 30 should own, not what an 18 year old college girl should own, what's up with all the shoes? And shoe polish?

LOL, "a well stocked home bar." Alright, that's where I'm done... Alcohol is overrated and stupid and kills your brain cells, and half these things listed are just idiotic traditional "do it because it's the right thing to do, because we said so, because it's the right thing to do, because we said so, because it's the right thing to do..."

What makes a comb "quality" or not? Does the comb have teeth that run between my hair, separating it? Then it's a quality comb a far as I'm concerned. Basically what this is saying is "if you wanna be a peacock and impress people based on superficial material crap, here's what you need."

LOL, an umbrella... FOR WHAT!? I thought this was a list for men, not pansies... Am I gonna melt in the rain? Sweet jesus...

A self respecting man would have enough self respect to not decide what he needs in life based on some arbitrary list written by somebody else, a good portion of which consists of arbitrary crap that's meant to try and impress people. A self respecting man doesn't rely on the approval of everybody else around him at all times.

Last edited:
I like the comb comment. Quality comb. That one thru me too. I got a comb. It works. What else can it be to be better? I just dont understand. Maybe im missing something about combs. Ive used them for 50 years. Did they change?

I'm 30. I don't and will not own a watch, umbrella, suit, shoe polish, that many pairs of shoes in the first place, or a blazer. If my clothes need repair, I know how to sew myself. What do I need a tailor for? Why do I need a cookbook when I already know how to cook? "quality athletic and dress socks that match." Again, WHY? What is a "quality" sock? Does it cover my foot? Does it fit my foot? DONE.

The only time I care about whether or not my socks match is when you can see whether or not they match, and even then I don't really care beyond not wanting to be harassed by idiots asking me why I'm wearing two different socks.

Wow, people feel really strongly about some guy's list of stuff on the internet. So strongly, they'll call fellow members "pansies," if we carry umbrellas.

That's just uber-manly, dude! lol

I like the comb comment. Quality comb. That one thru me too. I got a comb. It works. What else can it be to be better? I just dont understand. Maybe im missing something about combs. Ive used them for 50 years. Did they change?
I had 3 metal combs, Handmade from Swedish Steel, that I inherited from my grandfarher. I used these exclusively until I discovered Kent brushes and combs, and now, that's what I use.

Hard rubber combs like Goody and Ace just can't compare.

Yes, quality matters when it comes to these simple implements.

I'm still on the search for a toothbrush in that same league.

I had no idea. Thanks for sharing. Metal comb. Guess it parts/ combs the hairs better or is it feel type of thing?
It's the feel on the scalp ... plus, the metal makes a KLANG! sound if it falls to the ground, so I never lost it.

I thought that combs couldn't get any better, until I tried a Kent comb and brush. The scalp-feel of these handmade tools is amazing. I haven't used anything else since 2011.

Top Bottom