What's new

Longer Handle for a Gillette New?

Hey guys, I've recently been shaving with a Gillette New. I feel like the handle is a little short. was there ever a longer handle produced?

Not sure if a longer one was made but I made this one on Saturday to replace a broken one.
proxy.php

Thanks Guys!!!

Not a lot to it really... Turned brass to .440, knurled and ringed, bored/drilled the ends with a new 21/64 bit to about .4 deep. Pressed in the original ends and that's it!

Feels pretty good in the hand. The added length puts the ball comfortably in the palm and the neck at the finger tips. The added heft of the solid center feels great.

Nice work.

Yeah, there are the ball handles if you're looking for something of the same period. The middle tubes are prone to developing cracks though, so you may have to patch one up if you want one. NEW heads were also produced with two different diameter handle depressions, so what handles will fit depends on which you have. I have examples of both LC & SC with both size depressions, so it's not even as simple as that.

I just won another with the a split tube. I'll take more pics as I make a center section to replace it. May send it out to be nickel plated if all goes well.

The top threaded sections have different external diameters to correspond with the base plates. Making one that fits them all would be pretty simple.

Yeah, I have a ball handle long comb but the handle is only about 3". It's quite a bit shorter than the MR7 handle I have Maggards.
Nice work.

Yeah, there are the ball handles if you're looking for something of the same period. The middle tubes are prone to developing cracks though, so you may have to patch one up if you want one. NEW heads were also produced with two different diameter handle depressions, so what handles will fit depends on which you have. I have examples of both LC & SC with both size depressions, so it's not even as simple as that.

Three inches is as long as I can tolerate, anything longer gets cut off!

Long handled razors were ladies razors.

Virtually all modern handles, whether plated brass or stainless steel, will fit New heads. Just pick whichever one looks and feels best. I like the Weber Bulldog handle with my News.

To answer the OP's original question, I think most Gillettes had 3 inch handles, which comes out to a little over 75 mm. The NEW common bar handle looks shorter than its brothers because it's wider, but it's the same as the others of the era (and the later ball end techs, Super Speeds, etc.). Modern handles probably average more like 85 mm; anything shorter seems pretty short today. So yeah, replacing the handle with a noticeably longer one will probably require a modern option.

If you want a REAL man's razor with a longer handle, try the William Enders Dollar Razor with its 4" handle. Shave with that sucker for a week, and you'll hear no more of this talk about longer handles being for ladies' razors.:laugh:

I made this one for a few dollars. Not as nice as Eagle's.

I had a quick stop at my local Harborfreight this morning while searching for open Barbershops to get a haircut (no luck there) and a brass centerpunch attracted my attention. Brought one home and put a 10-32 tap through it, it was the perfect size. It has two chambers so additional weight could be added. By itself it weighs 52.60 grams. I think it is quite nice for those old Gillette OC with cracked handles. It will probably look very nice plated. Nice Knurling.

View attachment 411884View attachment 411887View attachment 411885

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/387198-Center-Punch-Brass-Handle

Top Bottom