What's new

Barbasol Original- an old friend

For some reason I can't turn my back on it. Many call it canned goo, but guys have been using this stuff for years. Don't get me wrong- I love a great soap or cream, but a good lather of Barbadol and a good razor and blade combo gives me satisfaction. Satisfaction that my technique is good enough to use what my grandad used 60 years ago with no irritation. Something about nostalgic products. Thoughts? Anyone else on this great forum of knowledge?

I find it drying, but I can always use a moisturizing aftershave. Out of the canned options, I think Barbasol is one of the more popular options around B&B. Some folks pair it with pre-shave oil underneath or even use a brush to apply it. My Dad still uses it even though I gifted him a nice Edwin Jagger kit.

If you like it, use it.

I've tried all sorts of questionable stuff over the years before finding products I like.

thx for that report!
for me, the lather is not quite as rich as traditional soap or cream, but overall, it gives a nice shave, plus great attention from the ladies!

$barbasol foam filarmonica canoe february 10 2016.jpg

The yellow can with lanolin is my favorite and cant find in Tampa,Fl. It's respected in the wet shaving forums all flavors....

Great summary! I love Barbasol, I guess because I grew up using it. Even thought I mostly use the usual suspects you see around here, I keep a can of original and one of the moisturizing around. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I've been using it for over 50 years so it's definitely an old friend. I like the Extra Moisturizing, Sensitive Skin, and the Aloe (to a lesser degree) but I keep going back the Original. The key for me is to moisten my face with water first. I use a double edge on my face, but I just can't give up the Barbasol.

Great feedback. I'm gonna have to try the soaking the can in hot water. My dad and grandad both had one of conair's shave cream can warmers. I never jumped on board. I should invest in one if they still make them. My normal routine Mon-Fri at 4:00 am consists of-

Filling the sink with hot water, Soaking my whole head for a few minutes, a 6 drop shave secret layer, then a very wet barbasol lather. Then a good one pass shave with a Maggard MR1- V3 head with an Astra blade. Finish with witch hazel on my neck and aqua velva on the face. Done and done.
Weekends I'll break out the Fine American blend soap and A.S with my merkur 34c, or a proraso green shave. Gotta treat yourself.

I get great shaves out of Barbasol. My routine is to submerge the can in very hot water for a few minutes to warm it up. (If I can't have a hot lather, then I'm not shaving that day.) Spray it out in a bowl, add a little water, mix it up with your brush, and you have a great shave.
Right on. That's exactly how i did it this morning. Great shave indeed.

It's the best for what it is and I get a nice shave with it. But the wonderful scents available in the multitude of shaving soaps now available makes me reach for a can only when I'm in a hurry and don't have the time to whip up lather with a brush.

I have been shaving with canned shaving foam and a DE since 1980.

I do a daily 4 pass/5 minute BBS shave.

I very rarely use a brush and shaving soap/cream cause I find that the only thing I gain by using them is......an extra 10 minutes of my PRECIOUS time and a lot of MESS in the bathroom.No I don't shave as a HOBBY,I shave cause I want to be BBS every day cause I hate even the HINT of stubble on my face.

Barbasol is what I used when I lived in the States and I loved it,I now live in Europe and I use the equaly good Proraso or Figaro shaving foams (they are under 2 euros per can overhere and a can lasts me 10-12 months) .

I always liked Colgate better as far as the canned stuff goes. I did start using Barbasol when Colgate stopped making shaving cream. Since finding B&B and DE shaving however, I haven't used the canned stuff.

Top Bottom