What's new

Question about wedges

Some time ago I bought a stainless steel wedge by Flatters & Garnett of Manchester.

$Flatters & Garnett.jpg
I noticed that what I call the reverse side of the blade appeared to be ground flatter than the other side - what I call the ~"front" for want of a better word - the side that usually carries an inscription or engraving. I thought that the razor was faulty for this reason and could not understand how it could be honed correctly.

Well I have just bought three Joseph Rodgers wedges (see the acquisition thread) - and all are ground like this. Could some kind expert explain what this is all about?

Thanks in advance.

C.

Yes: "A & B" that's it thanks.

But why?

C.

Prior to today's technology, medical labs used these blades to slice very thins sections of tissue to observe them under a microscope or test them in a petri dish. Now they freeze the tissue and cut them with a laser.

Prior to today's technology, medical labs used these blades to slice very thins sections of tissue to observe them under a microscope or test them in a petri dish. Now they freeze the tissue and cut them with a laser.

Thanks but I am hoping that my razors are NOT going to remove thin sections of tissue!

C.

Really? Can you shave with these razors?

Im not usually squimish about things, but it is difficult for me to think about shaving with a microtome that was used for it's intended purpose.

Really? Can you shave with these razors?

Im not usually squimish about things, but it is difficult for me to think about shaving with a microtome that was used for it's intended purpose.

My problem is not a question of squeamishness; I have tried to shave with them, but the flat side which of course is always away for the hand tends to stick to the face! I have raised this question before and was advised to use a wetter lather.

However my questions stands: why were razors made this way? I can understand a true wedge, but this offset thing baffles me and I should like to know the reason.

Thanks

C.

I think I may have worked it out.

If one holds a "microtome" razor at the appropriate angle for shaving, perhaps the flat side will not actually stick to the face to the extent that a true wedge would since the angle of the wedge would be close to the shaving angle and thus make sticking ,more likely.

How one is supposed to hone these damned things is another can of worms altogether: perhaps one tapes one side only?

C.

My problem is not a question of squeamishness; I have tried to shave with them, but the flat side which of course is always away for the hand tends to stick to the face! I have raised this question before and was advised to use a wetter lather.

However my questions stands: why were razors made this way? I can understand a true wedge, but this offset thing baffles me and I should like to know the reason.

Thanks

C.

Apperantly made so that a medical person back in the day can cut a layer of tissue off of a corpse and look at it under a microscope. Sounds like it was made for autopsies maybe? That is where my mind took it anyway based on alpster's info. Haha

Apperantly made so that a medical person back in the day can cut a layer of tissue off of a corpse and look at it under a microscope. Sounds like it was made for autopsies maybe? That is where my mind took it anyway based on alpster's info. Haha

Yes, but these are razors! I have three Joseph Rodgers ground in this fashion plus the Flatters & Garnett I mentioned above. I canot believe that they were manufactured for medical purposes.
C.

I think I may have worked it out.

How one is supposed to hone these damned things is another can of worms altogether: perhaps one tapes one side only?

C.

Autopsies for sure, maybe college classes where they disected corpses of humans/animals ?

I had one off the bay where the seller put up a BIN for $50. A puma, and I couldn't resist, not realizing it was a microtome. When I saw what it was I figured I'd give it a try. I used one layer on the hollow side, and two more, for a total of three on the flat side. If I had it to do over I'd have used 4 layers on the flat side.

An interesting shave. Very like a wedge on either side because of the stiff blade due to the flat side. Pix aren't great, but here are some I took at the time ;
$pumamicro1.jpg
$pumamicro2.jpg

Autopsies for sure, maybe college classes where they disected corpses of humans/animals ?

I had one off the bay where the seller put up a BIN for $50. A puma, and I couldn't resist, not realizing it was a microtome. When I saw what it was I figured I'd give it a try. I used one layer on the hollow side, and two more, for a total of three on the flat side. If I had it to do over I'd have used 4 layers on the flat side.

An interesting shave. Very like a wedge on either side because of the stiff blade due to the flat side. Pix aren't great, but here are some I took at the time ;
View attachment 707348
View attachment 707349

Looks like a good blade shape for a right handed person to cut a long thin layer of tissue. That blade shape would cut across without the blade wanting to dig further into the tissue being cut. I imagine the thin layer would like curl on the 'show' side while you were cutting.

Thanks for that; most helpful - just remembered I have a Joseph Ragg one of these as well...

C,

Last edited:
I have one with scales I carved to look like a samurai handle.
I hone it like any other razor and like shyster512 it has always given me great shaves.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I had one. Pain in the @$$ to hone. Pain in the @$$ to shave with. I like simple and repeatable and a microtome did not provide that for me.

Top Bottom