What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" - December 5th - December 11th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Puma 39 (5/8) (Smaller travelling razor - for stropping on anything - as the strop don't travel)
Simpson Chubby in silver
Midnight & Two - The Cabin
ZIRH AS

Traveling and picked up this soap in a mall (need to stay out of those). First use was a pleasant surprise as lathered well (quite thick – with a Chubby anyway) with a musty sap and smoke scent of a seldom used woodsy “cabin.” Somewhat understated but refreshing nonetheless. Good shaving qualities, and great post shave smoothness, a winner in first use (a stronger and longer lingering scent would also be acceptable).

@Smooth Steve - Very attractive arrangement for the high angle shot, Steve. How did you like the Grackle?

The funny thing is that I think this razor kind of gets a bad wrap. To start with, many don't like PAA and ignore it, others complain it is too mild. Presently my favorite razor is the R41 followed by both the Wunderbar and the Grackle tied. I lean towards aggressive razors, but I really enjoy using the Grackle. Early on, I found not over tightening the handle improved the gap and made the razor some more efficient. I could swiftly buff like crazy and clean up all areas of my face with no worries of razor burn, cuts, or weepers. The short handle also makes it very dynamic. I get great shaves and can do it without worries while the razor provides good audible feedback. I never had an issue with blade alignment. It really is a careless fun razor to use for me and my face.

Today was the first time I decided to use a shim and just tighten the handle. It was also the first time I used a feather, which is never smooth for me - even with some shaves on it. I do not know if it was because of the blade, the shim, the rougher shave I had yesterday, or my slightly reckless technique I typically use with this razor, but the Grackle had a little bite in it that I normally don't experience and it left my face a little sore. It definitely wasn't the prep - my face was very slick. I think I just took the razor too much for granted, and was sloppy with the added shim.

Prior to today, every shave with the Grackle has been great. I really think it is a sleeper. One OK shave out of many very satisfying shaves is not bad. I highly recommend the origin DOC design as a razor one can buy and really experiment and have fun quick shaves with.

Steve

12/07/16 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Cellar Door Bath Supply Co Haunted Woods Soap
Sterling Soap Company Christmas Eve Shave Soap
RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm Brush
Crown King Dual Chamber Scuttle
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Grackle DOC Razor with 1 Shim
Derby Extra Blade – 1st Shave
RazoRock Alum Stick
Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner
Booster Mosswood Aftershave
NIVEA Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm
$IMG_3847.jpg

I'd say Tuesday was another fine day at SOTD, gentlemen. I see some holiday cheer beginning to emerge in the flow of beautiful photos and words.

Thanks for all for your contributions of shave photographs and text descriptions.

@evnpar - Accomplished overhead shot. Fine looking blade and brush combo.
@Vesalio - Comely setup; great looking shave.
@Smooth Steve - Very attractive arrangement for the high angle shot, Steve. How did you like the Grackle?
@gemini68j - Nicely done tribute photo.
@shm - Excellent pic of a classic shave, Søren. The border is perfect.
@GlazedBoker - Neat array, Gus. I really like those Formula T soaps.
@Clint64 - Splendid portrait; exceptional shave.
@UngerWoo - Like the pastel tone to the picture.
@azwetshaver - Interesting triangular layout, Gabe.
@Cash_Stronomer - Fine low level pic with excellent placement of razor and brush. Love the desolate, atmospheric setting.
@cmh737 - Stunning photo, Chris. Exceptional lighting. How was the Anise & Vetiver?
@Dagwoodz - First-rate presentation, Josh.
@eezee - I can see a battle between the Clubman and the Pecksniff's ... which be be the last standing....
@Doug57 - Love a good Tabac setup. Doug, how did the Rocket HD shave? I have one that I've never gotten around to using.
@CT23 - Now that is a colorful, eye-catching pic, Chris! That's one of the best placements I've seen in a long time.
@imcndn - Nice low angle shot. Love the razor and brush alignment atop the soap jar.
@mcdig - That brush is a stunner, Mark. Nice looking bowl too.
@Jnatcat - Love the play of colors with the black scuttle, Will.
@Mostho - Excellent high angle close-in of the dramatic diagonal array. Bravo, Stefano!
@Bobcat - Classy shave, Bob.
@blzrfn - Stylish composition, Dave. Quite the enviable shave.
@doc47 - Beautiful color coordinated photo, Dan.
@sarimento1 - Marvelous grouping, Murray. A great sandalwood shave I bet.
@Theyack - Very nice seasonal pic. Nice looking G-Bar.
@PACO GALAN - Lovely close-in shot. Quite an alluring shave.
@DblD - Sharp looking image. Fine placement of the razor. That Maggard goes well with the NEW. How did you like the Darkfall?
@ram57 - Wonderful picture of a shave with great expectations (couldn't help myself)! Nice late autumny border.
@samlark - How did you like the Kiritimati, Sammy?
@theos - Handsome looking picture. Like the G-Bar resting against the jar. Love the play of light and shadow beyond your gear.
@xxlpack - Another neat array. Like the suggestion of stacked pictures.
@Hanover - Fine background color for this shot, Mark. A nice reminder for me to try the two CRSW soaps I have!
@EzraCobb - Welcome to SOTD, Jamie. Nice set up. How did you like the Cane soap and A/S?
@ciderguy - Quite a gold toned photo, Nick. The filter makes that one plush brush.
@lindyhop66 - That's always a great shot: blade and brush against the bricked wall. The hint of leaves is a nice touch.

I hope everyone's day has been excellent and your evening is as you hoped it to be.

Actually I'm a little earlier than usual in completing these comments tonught. That's good for my tired old eyes.

Well, gents, I'll say good night now. Be seeing you....

Thanks Ron. Here is little information about Mannerheim:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_Emil_Mannerheim

SOTD
Merkur 37C
Astra SP
Custom buffalo horn silvertip
ARKO

#DEshave #DEshaving #shave #shaving #wetshaving #oldschoolshave
$20161122 SOTD 37C (2).jpg
:a23:

SOTD - Wednesday, 7 December, 2016 – The Blades Grimm Smolder

Prep: Hot Shower | Eucalyptus and Spearmint soap
Pre-shave: The Blades Grimm Smolder Pre-shave Oil | hot towel
Strop: CBLindsay turkish linen (25) | TomoNagura Firehose (50) | TomoNagura Velvet Horsehide (100)
Razor: Dubl Duck Goldedge 5/8”
Brush: Rudy Vey 26mm Butterscotch “Chubby” TGN Finest 2-band
Soap: The Blades Grimm Smolder
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glazed Lather Bowl
Post-shave: Alum | Cold towel | Thayer’s Cucumber Witch Hazel | Nivea Men Facial Cream
Aftershave: The Blades Grimm Smolder Aftershave
Fragrance: New York Oudh - Bond No. 9
Album of the Day: Tron Legacy Soundtrack (by Daft Punk)
Song of the Day: Rectifier
$SOTD20161207.jpg
Hump Day!!! Have a great one everyone!

December 7, 2016
Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti
Feather Super Pro (7)
BSB 2 Two Band
MdC Original
Witch Hazel
Fine Lavender

The BSB just seems made to work with MdC. The size of the brush makes it very easy to load the soap from the container. Even better the 2 band knot provides good scrub and no scritch as I face lather. I really like this little brush. Believing in "No need to fix something that works", I stayed with my a 2 pass, XTG &ATG, shave followed by minimal touch ups. Not feeling the need to chase the baby, I ended up with a near BBS which is more than acceptable. I finished up with a splash of Fine Lavender. I hope everyone has a great Wednesday.

I'd say Tuesday was another fine day at SOTD, gentlemen. I see some holiday cheer beginning to emerge in the flow of beautiful photos and words.

Thanks for all for your contributions of shave photographs and text descriptions.

@Hanover - Fine background color for this shot, Mark. A nice reminder for me to try the two CRSW soaps I have!
Thanks Ron . I get a good lather and plenty of slickness with a nice post feel.

@Doug57 - Love a good Tabac setup. Doug, how did the Rocket HD shave? I have one that I've never gotten around to using.

I won this one in a PIF at the end of a pass around last year. I mostly use straights now, but the Rocket is one of the DE razors that I regularly pull out when I want to switch it up. I have a Red Tip too, and I think it and the HD shave about the same - very efficient, but not too aggressive. I like it.

12/7/16

Proraso Green Tea & Oatmeal Pre Shave Cream
Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes
Muhle 21H 220 Rytmo w/Black Fiber
Edwin Jagger De-89L
Gillette 7:00 Yellow (4)
Shavex Alum Block
Captain's Choice Lime
George F. Trumper Lime Skin Food
Hove Limes des Buras
$SOTD12-7-16.jpg

Status