What's new

Show Us Your AR Pistols

Palmetto State Armory upper with 10.5" barrel and KAK Shockwave Blade stabilizer. Vortex SPARC AR. KAK flash can muzzle device.

Attachments

• $20161202_151321.jpg
    $20161202_151321.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 173
I never could understand the concept of an AR pistol. Pistol to me means handgun and those are not handguns. I prefer one of the little shorty carbines( legal rifle/carbine length barrel) with a collapsible buttstock, if I need a short handy carbine. For a pistol I prefer a Colt 1911, Browning Hi Power or a good S&W 38 or .357 revolver.

My taste runs to longer guns though, and my favorite AR builds have 24 inch barrels, one of my vintage Swedish Mauser sporters and a couple of single shots sport 26" barrels.

To each his own though, have fun.

Started out as a pistol while waiting on the stamp to arrive. BCM 11.5" lightweight upper with a 10" Samson Evolution tube...and a few other goodies.

proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I never could understand the concept of an AR pistol. Pistol to me means handgun and those are not handguns. I prefer one of the little shorty carbines( legal rifle/carbine length barrel) with a collapsible buttstock, if I need a short handy carbine. For a pistol I prefer a Colt 1911, Browning Hi Power or a good S&W 38 or .357 revolver.

My taste runs to longer guns though, and my favorite AR builds have 24 inch barrels, one of my vintage Swedish Mauser sporters and a couple of single shots sport 26" barrels.

I guess - but would like to learn how any of those pictured so far are "pistols". In my mind, a pistol is not a revolver, might be an old dueling piece, but sure isn't 18 inches in length.

All on the thread so far are Short Barreled Rifles as far as I can tell - they all have stocks. Pistol ARs would not have a stock and are not NFA. I agree on true pistol ARs - seem pointless to me unless it's just as an intermediate step waiting for your tax stamp. I think dread's just speaking of "pistol length" barrels in the general sense.

I am in the research phase to put together an AR based SBR, but will be doing it in .45 acp, suppressed. :). To me that's the perfect home defense carbine. Packs a serious wallop, short for easy maneuvering, rifle platform shootabilty, but won't blow your ear drums when you pull the trigger.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
All on the thread so far are Short Barreled Rifles as far as I can tell - they all have stocks. Pistol ARs would not have a stock and are not NFA. I agree on true pistol ARs - seem pointless to me unless it's just as an intermediate step waiting for your tax stamp. I think dread's just speaking of "pistol length" barrels in the general sense.

I am in the research phase to put together an AR based SBR, but will be doing it in .45 acp, suppressed. :). To me that's the perfect home defense carbine. Packs a serious wallop, short for easy maneuvering, rifle platform shootabilty, but won't blow your ear drums when you pull the trigger.

This actually sounds very interesting, considering the ideal ammo for suppressed fire is subsonic ammo and most .45 ACP is already subsonic.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I suspect the AR pistols are blasty indeed.

Those are mostly SBR-cheater "wrist strap" non-stocks.

Agree [MENTION=43722]jamesspo[/MENTION] Have you seen a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP? :thumbup1: a handy thing.

AA

This actually sounds very interesting, considering the ideal ammo for suppressed fire is subsonic ammo and most .45 ACP is already subsonic.

Yep, can be made very quiet based on what I've read (and seen on youtube ). I'll probably use an Olympic Arms pistol caliber upper. Not sure on length, but I'd want to keep the total package with can about the same or tad shorter than a regular 16" carbine. The Olympic ones work with regular AR lowers (with their magazine of course). I think they may have other calibers as well, 9mm, etc. Actually, I think 10mm too, which could be fun :).

I suspect the AR pistols are blasty indeed.

Those are mostly SBR-cheater "wrist strap" non-stocks.

Agree [MENTION=43722]jamesspo[/MENTION] Have you seen a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 ACP? :thumbup1: a handy thing.

AA

No, had not seen that Marlin..very nice!

Per the definition an AR pistol has no buttstock, all the ones shown are SBR's.
That's what I thought . Ones I have seen in the past just had the receiver extension tube to house the recoil spring and buffer, no buttstock. I did not mention that on purpose at the time of my first post.

The point of AR pistols is incredibly simple. You can make a carbine SBR without an NFA stamp, that's the entire point. They're not supposed to replace handguns.

ETA they're kind of stupid now anyways, since you can no longer legally shoulder them with a sig brace on. Idiots couldn't leave well enough alone and had to send in a bunch of clarification requests to the ATF.

Last edited:
The pic that the OP posted isn't an SBR. That's not a stock, it's a KAK Shockwave Blade stabilizer. It's similar to the Sig brace, but doesn't wrap around your arm.

Fair enough, put it to your shoulder in front of an ATF agent though and tell me how that works out for you....

Fair enough, put it to your shoulder in front of an ATF agent though and tell me how that works out for you....

I'm not saying I like it or would personally use it, just simply pointing out that technically it's a pistol. Since I have a legal SBR, I have no concern for the ATF agent.

The point of AR pistols is incredibly simple. You can make a carbine SBR without an NFA stamp, that's the entire point. They're not supposed to replace handguns.

ETA they're kind of stupid now anyways, since you can no longer legally shoulder them with a sig brace on. Idiots couldn't leave well enough alone and had to send in a bunch of clarification requests to the ATF.

I agree the whole NFA registry is completely ridiculous, but I'm happy to see clarity from the ATF, even though I'm not sure they've ever actually achieved it on anything :). Acting on the edge of their interpretations is a recipe for a ruined life, at the whim of some judge. If you end up on the wrong side of that you end up a felon, very likely bankrupt, and never able to own a firearm for the rest of your life. For myself, I would be immediately fired from my job just for being charged with a felony, let alone convicted. So I'm steering clear of anything even remotely close the lines, which means suck it up and just play by the rules and get the tax stamp. Honestly, I think the stubbie pistol stocks (even without the blade thing or a strap) are too close to the edge, and at the mercy of an errant court ruling.

Top Bottom