What's new

Hors d'oeuvres

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
As we enter the holiday season perhaps a good subject to discuss is hors d'oeuvers.

Literally translated this means "outside of work". In other words outside of the preparations of the main meal. These are meant to be savory, not sweet, appetizers.

I like to practice things before the event. Trays of various items find their way to my work place and unfortunately too much is consumed at home as these practice runs occur. Not many disasters. Getting the timing right really helps on the day of the gathering.

One of our favourites, Devils on Horseback, was posted here in the Mess Hall a few years back when I asked for ideas.

Here is my test run. Cooking date stuffed with an almond and wrapped with a third of a slice of nicely smoked bacon. 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Could have gone 17. Nice texture and taste. I've not tried them yet dipped in soy and ginger with brown sugar. Personally I'm thinking the bacon adds enough salt.

$Devils on Horseback.jpg

What are you guys doing?

It looks like a homemade cheeseball, some charcouterie and bacon-wrapped scallops are on the menu. I'll probably also do some bacon-wrapped (sweet pickled) watermelon rind -- which sounds really odd, but is totally delicious (and weirds out my MIL).
(BTW -- cook some up... You'll thank me after you try it.)

Because Christmas is with the less adventurous side of the family, I stick with basics. (the watermelon is really pushing the envelope) But the Thanksgiving guest list is more adventorous, so I can go further down the creative path -- this year we had:
Faux liver pate (made from walnuts, is delicious), deviled eggs, indian curry onion fritters (pakora), Squash and Apple soup, a cheese board, and a goat cheese, fig and prosciutto tart.

Hors d' oeuvers is Chef slang for "a ton of work for little reward".... Low profit margin, high labor requirement and people eat them like they are entrees!!!!

I've made enough blue cheese souffles to span coast to coast!!!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I really enjoyed some sticks of feta maybe 1/3 inch x 1/3 inch x 1 1/2 inches wrapped in prosciutto and drizzled with rosemary infused olive oil. I'm not sure if there is a name for this but it was good and went quickly.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Hors d' oeuvers is Chef slang for "a ton of work for little reward".... Low profit margin, high labor requirement and people eat them like they are entrees!!!!

I've made enough blue cheese souffles to span coast to coast!!!

Wow that thaarr is a meal.

Love me some horse doovers. A southern favorite is sausage balls: biscuit mix, cheese, and hot breakfast sausage. Delicious. Country ham biscuits are great too.

Stuffed mushrooms are always a hit. My wife makes a great little sandwich from ham, cream cheese, and green onions on slices of flour tortillas that is delicious.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Love me some horse doovers. A southern favorite is sausage balls: biscuit mix, cheese, and hot breakfast sausage. Delicious. Country ham biscuits are great too.

Stuffed mushrooms are always a hit. My wife makes a great little sandwich from ham, cream cheese, and green onions on slices of flour tortillas that is delicious.

I never have never seen sausage cheddar balls. I think this is going on my list. Our families will love them.

Mini baked potatoes, coat pptatoes with olive oil coarse salt, bake at 350 until sqeezable. Remove from oven score a cross in the top, squeeze so the four quadrants so potato comes thru the score, top with sour cream/creme friache/plain yogurt then fish roe/caviar.

Soup shooters

Ceasar salad in a crouton bowl, bowl made with disk of flattened sour dough pressed into a muffin tin and baked.

Fresh spring rolls

Parmesean Reggiano Crisps with Goat Cheese Mousse, has to be the easiest most straight forward recipe in the French Laundry Cookbook

Bowls of mixed olives.

Mixed pickled vegetables

Martha Stewart has the Hors D'Oeurves Handbook i've done a bunch of stuff from all was tasty went over well.

Mini tacos

dave

No one has mentioned punch yet. Ya gotta have a bowl of punch on the table too.

One of the best and easiest family-friendly punch recipes ever:

One large jug, Hawaiian Punch Fruit Juicy Red drink
One can of pineapple juice
One two-liter bottle of Sprite soda
Orange Sherbert

Mix portions of the three liquids together in a punch bowl until it tastes good (you'll know when you get there; you won't use all of the liquids for one bowl, more like half the Sprite and pineapple juice, and a third of the Hawaiian Punch, and it will be delicious)
Add scoops of orange sherbert to the bowl before serving.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've always liked cherry pepper poppers. Never have I seen a cherry pepper in stores where I shop. Yet they magically appear at functions I attend.

I've always liked cherry pepper poppers. Never have I seen a cherry pepper in stores where I shop. Yet they magically appear at functions I attend.
You mean the italian stuffed cherry peppers -- the ones stuffed with prosciutto and provolone?

My wife and I make those pretty often. you don't need fresh cherry peppers, just a jar of pickled cherry peppers, a chunk of sharp provolone and some prosciutto. (or salami) Around here you can get Pastene brand peppers, usually in the pickle aisle of the supermarket.

Core and de-seed the peppers, cut a piece of cheese to fill the pepper, wrap the cheese with a slice of prosciutto and put into the pepper. When done, drizzle the tray of peppers with a good amount of excellent quality olive oil.

Make a dip of smoked salmon, sour cream, horseradish, dill, lemon juice and black pepper. Serve with water crackers or pumpernickel.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bacon-wrapped scallops, of course.

These fly too: "A southern favorite is sausage balls: biscuit mix, cheese, and hot breakfast sausage."

AA

Top Bottom