What's new

Gillette: 1940's style Super Speed razor vs. Red Tip razor

I have 3 1940's style Gillette Super Speed razors, and as one would expect, they all look and shave exactly the same - (They shave awesomely!). . . What's surprising to me is that (to me) they shave exactly the same as my Gillette Red Tip razor!?!?!?

I also have a 1956 standard Gillette Flare Tip razor and a Gillette 1958 TV Special razor - these two razors shave exactly the same (milder than the 1940's style Gillette Super Speed razors & Gillette Red Tip razor). . . and I also have a Gillette Blue Tip razor, which is the mildest of all of these razors - but I love them all!

Does anyone else feel the same as I do regarding these razors - (particularly regarding the similarity between the 1940's style Gillette Super Speed & Gillette Red Tip razors)?

In my experience the Red Tip razor is slightly more aggressive, and the physical razor has a heavier and more formidable feel. The Black Tip razor and the late 1940s Super Speeds shave a tad smoother. These differences are slight, may vary with the individual shaver, and they also may be affected by the brand of blade.

The Blue Tip is an extremely mild shaver.

I honestly think the Red tip is only slightly more aggressive. They do shave very similar to each other. I do like all the super speeds but the mid 50s and earlier have become more of my go tos to shave with.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I can mow most of my hair down with my Red Tip in one pass. My 40s SS takes two.

I find the 40s, 50s, and Red Tip to be very close myself. Mostly just handle and weight differences. The Red maybe slightly more aggressive if I did a side by side comparison, but certainly no monster. Any one of them will get me to DFS in 2 passes and maybe a little cleanup.

I have 3 1940's style Gillette Super Speed razors, and as one would expect, they all look and shave exactly the same - (They shave awesomely!). . . What's surprising to me is that (to me) they shave exactly the same as my Gillette Red Tip razor!?!?!?

I think the Red Tip just edges out the 40's Super Speed. That said, these two are my favorite of Gillette's TTOs.

I have a '41 Ranger, a 40's style superspeed as well as a Red Tip.

Like many above, I believe that the Red Tip is slightly more aggressive than the others with any given blade.

Whether it's due to weight or geometry, I have no idea.

"...the more people I meet,
the more I like my dog......"

If your '40's style Superspeeds all have date codes, then they all have the same head as the red tip, the redtip has a thicker heavier handle.

If your 40's style Superspeed does not have a date code then it has a slightly different head than the redtip.

I find the no date code TTO's to be noticeably smoother and equally efficient than the later ones with date codes.

My red tip is a tad more aggressive than the my 40's superspeeds. butttt I wouldn't say it's super aggressive compared to a true aggressive razor.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I have a '47 (no notch) SS and a Red Tip. To me, they are both about the same agressiveness/effeciency, but I find the Red Tip a little smoother. Could be my particular razors or some peculiarity with my face. Both razors are fun to shave with, however I do prefer the heft and thickness of the Red Tip.

Top Bottom