What's new

Large or regular; which captain's choice shave bowl to get?

I want one, but I don't know which bowl size most users prefer. Large or regular size bowl? Thanks for your opinions.

I just got the large and am happy I did. Easy to grip and I have a relatively small hand. Putting your thumb on the logo makes it easy to ensure no slipping. Mine isn't the exact diameter specified on the site, as he says they vary, so I think that was to my benefit. The Captain provides amazing customer service, I'm sure if you emailed him you wanted one of the smaller large bowls, he'd accommodate.

I recently got the Small "regular" bowl, and I love it - will actually get more and probably get the larger at some point - Do not think you could go wrong with either, might just come down to color. :thumbup1:

I also prefer large bowls. I have a large Captains Choice and quite like it.
It's my number 2 bowl behind my Turkish hammered copper bowl.

i don't have Captain's Choice but i do have both a 12 and 20 scuttle. because it holds more water, the 20 keeps the water and brush warmer longer, but the 12 also does a very good job. i use them both in my normal rotation.

there's always a plan B.

Captain's Choice Large is 5 3/4" wide and 1 3/4" - Too wide for me.
Captain's Choice Original is 4 1/2" wide and 1 1/4" - Too shallow for me.

I prefer 4 to 4.5" diameter, and about 2" deep, with a nearly hemispherical cross section, not cylindrical like the Captain's Choice.

What size are your brush handles? I like an overall bigger bowl if I'm using this guy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the large. I'm very happy with it! I also highly recommend getting at least an aftershave sample with your bowl order. I've tried the lime. The scent was absolutely amazing and the post-shave feel was great. I think it was possibly the best aftershave I've ever used.

I have the large. I'm very happy with it! I also highly recommend getting at least an aftershave sample with your bowl order. I've tried the lime. The scent was absolutely amazing and the post-shave feel was great. I think it was possibly the best aftershave I've ever used.
Just finished using North soap, followed by Lime AS, Great combo!

Top Bottom