What's new

Using shaving soap

I've recently returned to wet shaving and all has been going well using a Edwin Jagger DE and brush set, TOBS sandlewood cream and a Edwin Jagger lather jug.

I decided to upgrade to a Simpsons Chubby2 brush, as I wanted a stiffer brush.

So this morning I try the brush for the first time with new TOBS sandle wood soap (with woodern jar). So I try and load the brush after a soak with the soap and then build up a lather in the jug. Its the thinnest watery lather I have made. I had to go back to the woodern soap jar and lather up on that, untill its going everywhere and then face lather. This created a big mess.

Is there a right way to do this?

Welcome aboard! I face lather 100% and also like Simpsons and harder soaps.

To me, the the most likely issue is that a Chubby 2 will need a LOT more soap than you are accustomed to. Also it tends to take up a lot of water. I suggest you, "Load it like you hate it."

Then watch the ratio of water to soap (start with a drier brush and you can add water as needed). It always takes me awhile to dial in a new brush!

+1 for what BigJ stated. I bowl lather and face lather. I find I can get away with just a little cream, but use a boar brush when I use a soap, such as Haslinger or Tobac. The boar loads the soap a lot heavier than my badger or synthetic brushes.

Hey! Welcome! Adding to BigJ don't be afraid to got back and load more soap on the brush if you notice you didn't load enough soap.
There are also some great lather tutorials on YouTube, (probably here too, but Im also new here.)

I prefer to start with a pretty dry brush (wringing the water out, then giving the brush a shake) load the soap, then add water as I build the lather on my face. I can feel the slickness changing, and the sound of the lather helps decide where I'm at as well. I feel this gives me much more control over bowl lathering.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Try much less water as suggested above. You can always add water, but you can never take any away.

Thanks guys for the advice.

I should've made it clear that it was the first time using hard soap as well, so maybe I should try the chubby with the cream first.

Are you meant to create the lather on the woodern bowl? It builds up and goes every where. Have you got any good links to a soap tutorial?

Welcome to B&B. Take a look at the wiki on lathers. Also, take a look at this post. Perhaps they will help you out.

If you find that your lather is too weak or watery you can add a little cream to the mix. If you face lather just rub a tiny amount on your face. If you bowl lather, just add a dot to the mix and work the lather. Another possible fix is to rub your fingers around the soap and then apply a thin layer to your face. Then re-lather. Doing this acts like a soap stick and will thicken your lather.

I agree with BigJ. I to have a Chubby 2 Simpsons and if I knew then what I know now, I never would have bought it. Chubby 1 is better but still too short and Chubby 2 is too fat. I use Simpsons Emperor 3 now and that is perfect !! not too short, not too fat. Getting back on topic you do have to treat that brush like you hate it and press HARD into that soap. I was at the point of frustration where I didn't care if the brush was destroyed or not, I figured what do I have to lose ?. I use the Red Proraso soap which is awesome. Just keep grinding and adding water, keep going for as long as you have to, when you get the Chubby 2 loaded and hydrated properly you will have enough lather to shave the whole neighbor-hood. Good Luck

Welcome to B&B. Take a look at the wiki on lathers.Also, take a look at this post. Perhaps they will help you out.

If you find that your lather is too weak or watery you can add a little cream to the mix. If you face lather just rub a tiny amount on your face. If you bowl lather, just add a dot to the mix and work the lather. Another possible fix is to rub your fingers around the soap and then apply a thin layer to your face. Then re-lather. Doing this acts like a soap stick and will thicken your lather.
+1
Superb advice

Thanks for the advice guys.

I went for the chubby 2 as it seemed to be recommended by quite a few and was a stiff brush! It seems that the face lather is the way to go with this brush as you need a very large area to get the brush going.

Alum block feedback seems to suggest I need to work on the face lather though.

OK, I had thought I had good shaves up untill now but I was wrong. Just had my smoothest shave yet, if a little irritating.

With cream and face lathering this brush produces hugh amounts of lather. I think it helps especially with thick lathers for 2nd and 3rd passes. These passes have been very watery in the past, but you can just force more thick lather from the base of the brush.

Top Bottom