What's new

Grinder Salt

Hi guys! I just upgraded my salt and pepper grinders. I've got a nice pepper blend that I'm happy with but I didn't see a good salt at my grocery store. Does anyone have a recommendation of a salt that I can use in my new grinder?

Maldon Sea Salt. OK in a grinder, but the flakes are loose enough that you cant "grind" it between your fingertips. Really good salt.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
mightyeskimo:
I would use either coarse sea or kosher salt. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Salt and pepper: the worlds oldest spices". CBJ

Right now im using Celtic salt which I believe is French? Go figure. It has a grayish hue and tastes great. Its my first grinder salt besides sea so I have tons I still need/want to try.

I use sea salt but now I want to try Celtic salt after the recommendation by [MENTION=104903]doofus[/MENTION].

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I must have tried a million salts, from high end fleur de sel, pink, black, smoked, you name it. The best salt to have in your kitchen for cooking is plain old kosher salt. For sprinkling, the best value is Korean solar salt, which tastes as good as most high end salts but may be purchased in bulk for not much more than kosher salt.

If you're looking for coarse crystals for a grinder, Himalayan pink in bulk is very nice.

Pink Himalayan looks different, works well in our grinder, in fact came in it's own grinder which works extremely well.

proxy.php

Cape Herb & Spice now show a different grinder on their website but the one pictured is the one we use for both salt and black pepper.
dave

Right now im using Celtic salt which I believe is French? Go figure. It has a grayish hue and tastes great. Its my first grinder salt besides sea so I have tons I still need/want to try.

The southern part of Brittany in France has lots of salt production, and it is a celtic region.

Depends on what you are using the salt for. I really appreciated the taste of the products from Guerande, in Brittany. If you are using the salt for seasoning, get the Fleur du Sel. If for cooking, get the Gris. There were many independent Mom and Pop producers there but most of them are in a Co-op, which I imagine handles most of the export trade.

I recommend this because I appreciated the taste. I doubt, however that they would work well in a grinder.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Koshering salt is great for brining meat as it does not have the added iodine of table salt nor the added "stuff" that prevents clumps and allows table salt to run freely. The salt grinder I use mostly is clear acrylic and although I doubt there is a difference in taste I like to use a coarser salt than koshering salt. If I need a fine salt, for almonds I roast in the oven, I'll whiz up some salt in my repurposed coffee grinder.

Salt grinders are out, graters are in. :w00t:

This is what we have on our table sometimes, but I still enjoy our salt grinder with Pink Himalayan Salt.

It was $30 cdn at Costco, so like $6.50 usd and will probably last us a decade.

[MENTION=89559]davent[/MENTION] and [mention]@Alacrity59[/mention] have you guys seen these?

proxy.php

Last edited:
Hi Bruce, A few years ago a friend gave us a salt grater with a much coarser surface and a good sized chunk of the pink, the surface of the grater hasn't taken too kindly to the salt contact. I suppose you could look upon it as another source of iron. I may hammer the big chunk when our grinder is empty and refill with the busted up bits.

I tried, i can't post without a picture...

dave

[MENTION=89559]davent[/MENTION] Yikes! I haven't noticed anything with ours yet, but it is fairly new.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on our grater. The one that came with it is very fine, almost makes it a salt dust, which is beneficial sometimes. We haven't tried using our micro graters that we use for ginger, garlic and Parmesan yet, some of those have a different sized grates.

That is one thing I like about our Cole & Mason manual S&P Mills, both are adjustable on the fly by adjusting the mechanism on the bottom.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Hi Bruce, A few years ago a friend gave us a salt grater with a much coarser surface and a good sized chunk of the pink, the surface of the grater hasn't taken too kindly to the salt contact. I suppose you could look upon it as another source of iron. I may hammer the big chunk when our grinder is empty and refill with the busted up bits.

I tried, i can't post without a picture...

dave

....and you're a better man for posting it. :thumbup1:

Now that is a nice piece of salt. I would be tempted to bust it up a bit in a mortar and pestle, then into the salt grinder.
But using a grater looks like a nice way to use it.
I just loaded my salt grinder with some Pink Himalayan Salt.

What I want to get is a salt & pepper pig for use when cooking.

Top Bottom