What's new

I want an all-stainless DE razor. Any advice?

Hello,

I've been shaving with a double-edge for a long time. Started with a DE, switched to cartridges at some point, and then back to DE about 10-12 years ago (leaving out a brief fling with an electric in the early 90's). I have quite a few razors, but I tend to fixate on one, as opposed to going through a rotation.

My current everyday razor is an Edwin Jagger DE89L, paired with a Feather blade. I've had similar extended periods with a Merkur 34C and the Merkur 38C (barber pole). I have successfully shaved with slants, older Gillettes, etc. But I seem to like the Edwin Jagger DE89L and Merkur 34C the most at this point.

I'm looking for an all-stainless razor, simply because they're cool. My current razors would serve me forever, but I just feel like kicking it up a notch.

I've read as much as I can, but I still thought it would be good to reach out for advice. I'm currently leaning toward the Feather, as that was the first all-stainless razor I read about (latest iteration seems to be the AS-D2). Now, there are several other companies selling all-stainless razors.

Unfortunately, finding all these razors in a brick-and-mortar store is not likely (unless you live in NY or London, which I don't), so I'm going to have to take a leap of faith and order off the internet.

Any advice? I would be pretty happy if the new razor shaved with an agressiveness somewhere in the neighborhood of the Edwin Jagger DE89L or the Merkur 34C.

Thanks in advance,

- Greenhouse

Check out Above The Tie. I have their slant OC and bar guard and find them very nice. They also carry a complete line of regular head DEs and a variety of handles. A friend who is very knowledgeable raves about the Feather 2 DE for fit, finish and efficiency with comfort. I love the Razorock Wunderbar slant. You would probably have to go to the bay to get one though. Very nicely aggressive, and beautifully made AFAIC.

Seven, eight years ago the problem was no one made stainless DEs ....... now the problem is picking one out of the many available .......... :001_smile

I've been looking at the Rockwell 6S. It give you a choice of use of six head combination to vary the aggressiveness and at $99, I think it's a great value.

This is YMMV in the extreme. There are many good options. For me, the answer was a Wolfman which has been absolutely terrific! :thumbup1:

The downside was that I had to get on the list then WAIT! But it was well worth it in the end!

The Rockwell 6S is a quality stainless steel razor that could fit your needs. The R2/R3 plate would be a close equivalent to your Merkur and EJ. As an added bonus, you'll have the choice of using any of the six plates to find which works best for you as a daily shave or use a plate with a wider gap for multiple days' growth. I have had one for two months and find it to have the right amount of weight to use no pressure and get a very close, comfortable shave every time. It's also one of the least expensive SS DE razors. You'd really never need another razor, but it's always nice to have chouces!

The Rockwell 6S works well for me. I skipped the merkur and parker razors and went straight to all SS. My usual plate is the R3, at least till my technique improves and I can keep from nicking myself on the more aggressive plates.

Last edited:
I also enjoy the shaves from a EJ89. I love he ATT M2 with an Atlas. But my favorite all Stainless Steel razor is the Weber PH. Truth be told, its my favorite razor. Neck and neck with my New LC. I know they are discontinued, but you can still find them. A WTB post on the BST might yield results. Or the Bay. I would of course recommend the BST route. It is just a tad more aggressive than the EJ if anything.

The Rockwell 6S is an excellent razor that gives a smooth an efficient shave at your chosen level of aggression. Another to look out for is the new Muhle Rocca, which is supposed to be available any day now, is likely to be in the medium range for aggression and might well be more reasonably priced than the stainless razors from ATT or Timeless.

My personal favorite is the Razorock Wunderbar slant. I can't find a single thing to quibble about.

Brother Greenhouse, I'm not convinced that a stainless steel razor is "kicking it up a notch."

There are other razors, new or antique, that also are "cool," and are available at a modest fraction of the price of a stainless steel razor.

I would also recommend the Rockwell 6S as a price vs Stainless steel value pick if you feel the need for a stainless DE razor. I felt the need and figured the $99 ($132 CDN $ ) was worth a shot. The adjust-ability of the different blades has been useful for different stubble growth conditions and even for different blades. It is in my rotation regularly.

Timeless... it's machined out of a solid block of stainless steel, made in the USA(if that matters to you) their beautiful to look at and amazing shavers! I found the 68 gap to be very efficient and very comfortable.

Timeless... it's machined out of a solid block of stainless steel, made in the USA(if that matters to you) their beautiful to look at and amazing shavers! I found the 68 gap to be very efficient and very comfortable.

+1. My Timeless razor has become the only razor I use-- it trumps all my other high end stainless razors!

I will recommend PILS, ATT and Feather razors.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Top Bottom