What's new

"5 o'clock" shadow

I don't have a thick beard nor does it grow quickly, but the hair is dark and can be seen through my light skin. Even with a BBS shave.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
This is common to gents with a heavy, dark beard and lighter contrasting skin tone. I work with a relatively young fellow (mid-20's) and his beard is so dark you can see the outline of it first thing in the morning even after he has shaved only an hour or so earlier. Not much you can do about that.

Yep. I have a friend who can walk out of the bathroom with a BBS but still with such a shadow. He has coarse, dark hair and very fair skin.

you might try one of the following two ideas.
first idea.
on just one cheek, do an ATG pass.
but beforehand, use some pre shave oil as lube.
and do some mild skin stretching; use alum to dry your fingers for this.
only one side.
then, see what you get in terms of irritation and shadow.

second idea.
triple up on your pre shave prep, to get more hydration into those tough whiskers.
which can also help reduce any irritation.

good luck and keep us posted.

you might try one of the following two ideas.
first idea.
on just one cheek, do an ATG pass.
but beforehand, use some pre shave oil as lube.
and do some mild skin stretching; use alum to dry your fingers for this.
only one side.
then, see what you get in terms of irritation and shadow.

second idea.
triple up on your pre shave prep, to get more hydration into those tough whiskers.
which can also help reduce any irritation.

good luck and keep us posted.
Will do, thanks!

While all of us could improve our technique to some degree - even the world's closest shave can only cut whiskers to the skin line (or tiny bit below with stretching and other great prep). That means if your whiskers are darker than your skin, relatively dense, and grow quickly, you are going to get shadow sooner than later. So work on your tech, but don't obsess. Make sure you're enjoying the save - that's just as important.

Reinier Ramirez,

Have you tried WTG, XTG, and WTG?

Have you experimented with different blades, and different razors?

Have you considered a Schick Injector Type E, which is a very aggressive razor?

Is your shaving prep impeccable?

As Walter Cronkite used to say "And that's the way is is." Sounds like you have a very manly beard that just can't be tamed for more than a few hours at a time.

None of us can outrun our genes.
+2

This thread made me think of some of the YouTube shaving videos I've seen (and watched in fascination)... where the guys start out looking as if they already are BBS (so, of course, when they've finished they look just the same as when they started). Definitely no bluebeards in that category.

+2

This thread made me think of some of the YouTube shaving videos I've seen (and watched in fascination)... where the guys start out looking as if they already are BBS (so, of course, when they've finished they look just the same as when they started). Definitely no bluebeards in that category.
I've seen those videos!! Hahaha...

you might try Harry's. it is what got me back into DE shaving; however, the shave is magnificent. i just prefer the DE challenge.

there's always a plan B.

Same here. Pasty white skin and dark beard(going white now though).

It's a lot less apparent in summer due to sun tan.

You could get a spray-tan in winter, but careful you don't overdo it and become an Orange-American:biggrin1:

I've got a permanent, but light shadow
It's gets dark within 8 hours of shaving, but (compared to the uneven shaves that cartridge users have) it's still passable

I don't get the shadow you're referring to until much later in the day - maybe around 1900 or 2000 that evening. I do a 3 pass shave: WTG, XTG, and ATG in that order and get a close shave daily. From my personal perspective, I don't find the shadow unseemly on a man's face whether it appears at 0700 or 1700. In fact, I think it can look quite masculine. If you're finding the shadow on your face immediately after shaving, as BSAGuy said, that's your genes expressing their masculine self. No shame in that, brother!

Well said. You're a man, not a Cub Scout. You have a beard (facial hair) and there's just no way around that. I don't give any thought to my "shadow" as the day progresses. I shaved that morning and "it is what it is". I don't get how some seem to fret over this. It's just how it is.

As others have basically stated, embrace who you are. You can always take on the moniker "The Blue Shadow" and become a nocturnal crime fighter. That would be cool.

While all of us could improve our technique to some degree - even the world's closest shave can only cut whiskers to the skin line (or tiny bit below with stretching and other great prep). That means if your whiskers are darker than your skin, relatively dense, and grow quickly, you are going to get shadow sooner than later. So work on your tech, but don't obsess. Make sure you're enjoying the save - that's just as important.

+1 Cha-Ching! It is what it is. Just enjoy the shave....:thumbup1:

Top Bottom