What's new

My straight razor journey begins....

proxy.php

Hello everyone!

Through the generosity of Dcaddo111 and SirChangalot I have my first straight razor.

I have always wanted one ever since trips to the barber from an early age. I was always enthralled when stropping started and the shaving began. The smell of the shave cream and sound of the razor clearing the hair around my ears. The feel of my skin after always amazed me....

Now.... at an age where I'm finally able to slow my self down and enjoy the simple pleasures life has to offer.

A new challenge to master!

Congrats!!. I think you are going to like this journey. Nothing quite like a shave from a freshly stropped blade.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Enjoy yourself, eagle! I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Be sure to head over to the shave journals forum and start your own. You will get a lot of helpful info and encouragement there. WE will enjoy following your journey. Good luck!

Not to change the subject, but I do have to say that I just read the previous thread that led to this one and it made my day to see the sportsmanship and generosity that led to this thread. It's times like this that we see what this forum is really about.

Yes bonne chance M. Aigle!

If my experience is anything to go by, you may find your patience a little tested from time to time. But it really is worth the effort.

All the best

C.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I'm in a the same boat. I just started a short time ago, and my journey is still in its infant stages. I started on a honed Gold Dollar. I am just a few weeks into it..

The one bit of advise I can add is to not be afraid to finish up with a DE. I started this way and felt very guilty about it, like I was cheating. And that is not the case. As echoed above, don't chase the shave. Work on your technique in a safe and comfortable way. The technique will come, and so will the results. I am just starting to get to the point when I'm getting a good shave on my cheeks. The neck still leaves stubble, so I am still using my DE to finish up. Good luck on your journey!

Now.... at an age where I'm finally able to slow my self down and enjoy the simple pleasures life has to offer.

A new challenge to master!

You could not of said it any better. I wholeheartedly agree with you. Good luck in your journey, it's wonderful!

~Royce

I have chosen Sunday morning as my first shave. It is the only day I sleep in.

I am really looking forward to it.

OK!!! That was really interesting!!!!

I did my home work and everything turned out fine. My first couple strokes were really gentle and trying to get a feel for how to hold the blade to my face. After I got the feel of the blade cutting the hair and applying a little more pressure things went great.

I shaved my cheeks completely, jaw line to the chin, part of my neck and some of my upper lip. At this point I figured I better quit while I was ahead. I was having trouble with paying attention to the WHOLE blade. It is really long compared to a DE. Trying to shave a specific area and watching where the rest of the blade is requires a steady hand and full attention.

Couple questions I have. Is it OK to shave completely with one hand? I am severely right handed and found it very awkward and clumsy to try to shave with my left.

Working on my upper lip and thinking about the technique required to get up to my nose makes me nervous. Suggestions???

My Poor Man Strop kit is on it's way (thank you for the suggestion). As soon as I get some stropping practice in I'll be back at it.

Overall I am very pleased with my new razor. It and I performed admirably with no blood spilled!!!

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and advise.

Top Bottom