What's new

December Photo Challenge: Illumination

Ok, December challenge is here.

The theme I have chosen is Illumination

At this time of year there should be plenty of interesting lights around, festive or otherwise, so this is a chance to get the tripod out and make an image that pops. It could be Christmas lights along the high street; a local building that is lit up; or a dramatic window display. Whatever takes your fancy.

Heres an example photo I took tonight. This is the Nihombashi Bridge in Central Tokyo. No tripod for this one, just bumped the ISO up and shot handheld with a wide aperture.

Have fun!

The rules, recapped:

• The photograph must be yours, taken recently
  • Only one entry.
  • The challenge runs from the 1st to the 19th of the Month.
  • Voting runs from the 20th to the 26th.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner.
  • The winner of the previous months challenge picks new theme and starts thread.

SaveSa
SaveSave
SaveSave

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the afternoon sun streaming into my porch, so set up a shot. Here's my entry for December's awesome Illumination challenge. Enjoy!

$cupShine8.jpg

Steve G

Ok, December challenge is here.

The theme I have chosen is ’Illumination’

At this time of year there should be plenty of interesting lights around, festive or otherwise, so this is a chance to get the tripod out and make an image that pops. It could be Christmas lights along the high street; a local building that is lit up; or a dramatic window display. Whatever takes your fancy.

Here’s an example photo I took tonight. This is the Nihombashi Bridge in Central Tokyo. No tripod for this one, just bumped the ISO up and shot handheld with a wide aperture.

Have fun!

The rules, recapped:

• The photograph must be yours, taken recently
  • Only one entry.
  • The challenge runs from the 1st to the 19th of the Month.
  • Voting runs from the 20th to the 26th.
  • The person with the most votes is the winner.
  • The winner of the previous month’s challenge picks new theme and starts thread.
View attachment 706199
SaveSa
SaveSave
SaveSave

I love this photo! When I first saw it, my eyes were drawn to the grand bridge lights, but what really sticks out to me is the headlamp on the bike. To me the picture says something along the lines of, "The grandness of beautiful objects does not move, but simplicity travels." Corny I know...but the pic really spoke to me. Thanks for sharing.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I think we'd all agree, though, that the challenge shouldn't be an excuse to 'raid the archives'. That would seem to defeat the object of a monthly challenge thread.

^^^This.

The unwritten rule is to have fun. For me that means excepting the challenge and getting out there for a fresh shot.

Some people want to post something better taken from last month while out and about, with the given theme in mind when taking the photo. That photo may be much better than what they shot while out this month, hey go for it IMO. That's your call.
A photo while on holiday a few years while not trying to except the challenge......well you get the idea.

With all that said that is just my 2 cents worth but don't forget the unwritten rule and have fun.

Last edited:
I've been out looking. Today I checked one of our major public spaces looking for Christmas decorations/lights. There was just one lousy tree-ish thing they had out in a huge empty space. I thought I could do that as a minimalist shot if need be. If I manage an entry, it might not be seasonal. It's a bit bah humbuggy around here!

I've been out looking. Today I checked one of our major public spaces looking for Christmas decorations/lights. There was just one lousy tree-ish thing they had out in a huge empty space. I thought I could do that as a minimalist shot if need be. If I manage an entry, it might not be seasonal. It's a bit bah humbuggy around here!

I need Xmas in your town! WAY too seasonaly spirited around here!

$fullsizeoutput_1566.jpg

Since I was a bit late to the party last month, I will enter the Tea Party photo for this month. If the previous winner
would like another entry, please let me know and I'll grab another fresh one!

I hemmed and hawwed about going to St Augustine to photograph the nights of lights. I found something else though, when we went to see Rogue One...

$DSC_6922-2.jpg

I would like to say that this challenge really has been a challenge for me.
I think I had several ideas to try out, but I have not been able to pull them off - for some reason they wouldn't materialise like I wanted.

However, even though I'm not satisfied I will still enter, I have at least tried and learned :001_smile
And just for the record: I think the theme for the challenge has been great, and it have made me try out a couple of new things :thumbup:

My entry will be this photo from my little village; two supermarket signs, a traffic light with all three colours showing and a passing salt-truck with warning lights on.

proxy.php

Top Bottom