What's new

Finally Shot my Mosin!

So just over a week ago I acquired a 1941 Mosin 91/30, but was unable to shoot it at all right after I bought it. That all changed two days ago!

The stars aligned, as did my schedule with my grandmother's. She was on the property, and I had the day off. I went over, set up the table and target, then proceeded to use up a whole box of ammo.

Here are some pictures as evidence. BTW, it was my first time shooting anything in almost a year.
$InstagramCapture_99c87c21-3049-4f79-a24c-5b22833e7924.jpg$InstagramCapture_5477e600-4bae-490e-94f2-2c879f3cc0d5.jpg$WP_20161128_001.jpg
The target doesn't include the last 10 rounds, but you'll have to take my word that they were all within the inner 3 rings.

It shoots a little to the right, but that was easily rectified by a slight adjustment to the sight.

Looks like I got myself a sweet shooting rifle!

So...how is your arm? I remember shooting mine for the first time. I was not expecting that kind of a kick! I have the same Mosin Nagant just dated 1939...it is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Just fun!

So...how is your arm? I remember shooting mine for the first time. I was not expecting that kind of a kick! I have the same Mosin Nagant just dated 1939...it is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Just fun!

No worse than shooting a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun really. That, and I was wearing a pretty heavy leather jacket.

[MENTION=90452]PhillyB[/MENTION] I envy you having a place to go and shoot. Where I am at unless you know someone that has a large piece of land, the only place to shoot is at local ranges (costly) or a long drive to a Wildlife Management Area.

That's a good one. Definitely a minute-of-Nazi rifle. Some of them, the bore is so oversized, it's like dropping a pea gravel through a garden hose. The bullet just kinda rattles out.

They're kinda primitive, but effective.

Father and son Mosin Nagants.

Your target looks about like the ones we've produced.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Nazi, get out of my house!" BOOM! - your Mosin Nagant.

Isn't it great they sell (Tula) 7.62x54r ammo at Walmart now?

AA

Nice looking rifle. They look to be very interesting, but I got interested in M 96 Swedish Mausers and the Swiss straight pull rifles, so my safe simply does not have room for anything else.

"Nazi, get out of my house!" BOOM! - your Mosin Nagant.

Isn't it great they sell (Tula) 7.62x54r ammo at Walmart now?

AA

I did not know WalMart was selling 7.62X54R ammunition. I've been intending to "get a round tuit" obtaining loading dies to produce ammunition for the Mosin Nagant. Guess I can wait a little while longer.

You did better than me OP. With my Mosin, I would have had a hard time hitting the barn in the above picture let alone the bull.

Look like you have a good shooting one! If you get a chance, try some other ammo like yellow tip, or Bulgarian silver tip. My Mosin loves heavy ball, yours might as well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Looks like you shot (non-corrosive) Tula, but if you run surplus combloc ammo through it, remember the corrosive ammo cleaning regimen.

AA

@PhillyB I envy you having a place to go and shoot. Where I am at unless you know someone that has a large piece of land, the only place to shoot is at local ranges (costly) or a long drive to a Wildlife Management Area.

Where in Louisiana? When I am in West Monroe, I go to the Ouachita Parrish range, operated by the sheriffs dept. It's fairly new and a first class facility. Open Tue through Sun, 10 am till?

Where in Louisiana? When I am in West Monroe, I go to the Ouachita Parrish range, operated by the sheriffs dept. It's fairly new and a first class facility. Open Tue through Sun, 10 am till?

I live just outside Baton Rouge. There are a couple Sheriff's Office around here that do something similar but it is usually just every other Saturday with limited hours. I would love to just be able to walk out my back door and shoot. Can't do that right now.

Heh! A friend of mine has one. Scared the crap out of me the first time I shot it. I'd never shot any 7.62 before. Silly noob that I am, I thought big heavy guns would have less recoil....LOL

Heh! A friend of mine has one. Scared the crap out of me the first time I shot it. I'd never shot any 7.62 before. Silly noob that I am, I thought big heavy guns would have less recoil....LOL
Boy were you wrong. 😀

Sent from the Danger Phone

Top Bottom