What's new

Simpson Restore

If you don't want to make your own ,here is a very high quality lampblack.All you do is prep the handle with 91% isopropyl ,then wipe on , and wipe off excess...I don't think Simpson will do this for you , but you can give them a try. http://www.naturalpigments.com/lamp-black.html

Now this I like! It sounds simple and may have been the method used at the factory! And for $5.50 it's worth experimenting with.

It appears to be a powder. Do I dissolve it in something or just rub it in?

Now this I like! It sounds simple and may have been the method used at the factory! And for $5.50 it's worth experimenting with.

It appears to be a powder. Do I dissolve it in something or just rub it in?
Directions will be on the back label , you can always email the company for advice , tell them you are applying it to an etched acrylic surface..

The mystery deepens. I think we have the same brush made at the same factory but at different times.
Curious
Just received back from Simpsons.
$DSCF0194.jpg

I have read that you can send a brush back to Simpson's to have it reknotted but will they restore the inking in the lampblack etching?

I did not know that you could do this. I just sent an inquiry asking how much to reknott my Chubby 1 best. I got mine in 2009 and it is losing some of stiffness. Thanks for the post! :thumbup1:

One good thing about the new Simpson labels, they don't wash off and go down the drain like the old ones did. If you didn't paint them with clear nail polish they were gone within a shave or two.

Nice restore for your vintage Simpson. BTW, you can also contact Mark (Simpson CEO) through facebook. IME they have great customer service.

From Wikipedia but not verified.
The Coate's brush company was founded in 1847 by James Coate in London. In about 1875, the company was relocated into two factories; in Axminster, Devon and in Chard, Somerset, where they continued making shaving products, hair products and toothbrushes. In 1941, a shaving brush company called A Simpson lost their factory during the blitz and in the spirit of wartime cooperation. Coate’s allowed the company to continue its production at their water-powered factory in Chard.
During World War II, Coate's managed to continue production, despite their reliance on supplies imported from Germany. This was accomplished by having goods exported from Germany to a neutral country, then imported to the UK.
After the war, the companies worked together and eventually Coate's joined with Simpsons in 1990, but the name still lived on in the range of shaving creams that they continued to produce. The A Simpsons company was sold in 2008 to another shaving brush manufacturer, but Coate's remained with David Carter & Francis Woodhouse, the previous owner of A Simpsons. On May 18, 2010, the company was purchased by TGS Products Ltd and relocated to Hungerford, West Berkshire. The first new products were manufactured in late June 2010.
The new Coate's lines were limited to one type of soap and cream, along with small numbers of shaving accessories. They did not prove popular, and were slow sellers. As a result, they were discontinued in 2012, and the brand was sold.

Top Bottom