What's new

Witch Hazel vs. Aftershave

Speaking of Thayers: I often go without using an astringent because I don't often feel like using aftershave, and don't have any witch hazel yet. So, what's Thayers' face-feel like? My preconception is that it burns like any astringent; does it?

It depends on which one you get. You have to look...some are alcohol free and others have a little bit of alcohol. I think the cucumber, peach and lavender are all alcohol free. I am partial to Superhazel which has different oils in it to promote healing.

Speaking of Thayers: I often go without using an astringent because I don't often feel like using aftershave, and don't have any witch hazel yet. So, what's Thayers' face-feel like? My preconception is that it burns like any astringent; does it?

YMMV, but I find that even the Thayer's with alcohol (which is what my drugstore typically carries) doesn't burn at all, even when I've got weepers.

I tried some generic witch hazel from a local pharmacy, and it didn't do anything for me that I could tell.
Cold water seems to work about as well, except that plain water doesn't have the bonus scent of dill pickle juice mixed with formaldehyde.
I did try mixing WH with some Aqua Velva Ice Blue (which I don't really like the scent of to begin with), but then it smelled like AV Blue and left a faint blue stain on my hands. :glare:

My standard post shave process is rinse off remains of lather with lukewarm water, rub with an alum stick, clean razor (to let the alum sit there for half a minute or so), cold water rinse, and finally an AS like Brut, Old Spice Classic, or Mennen Skin Bracer.
If I had a bad shave (e.g. an experiment gone bad) then I might use a balm instead of an AS splash.

Cold water seems to work about as well, except that plain water doesn't have the bonus scent of dill pickle juice mixed with formaldehyde. I did try mixing WH with some Aqua Velva Ice Blue (which I don't really like the scent of to begin with), but then it smelled like AV Blue and left a faint blue stain on my hands. :glare:

Nice!

I use Thayer's Witch Hazel (alcohol free). Feels refreshing and helps with irritation. I used to use cotton balls to apply but now simply gently apply with my hands. After it is dry or virtually dry, I apply any of the many balms I have to moisturize my skin.

Yeah I use them both. I like the tightening feeling of the WH but it doesn't have that alcohol burn that my AS does. So I let the WH dry first for about 5 minutes, then AS splash.

I have mostly quit using it as AS. I do use it sometimes in the mornings ( I am an evening shaver) after I rinse my face with cold water. You can apply it to your entire face and the back of your neck. Refreshing.

As for AS, I generally rinse excess lather from the last pass off with cold water, apply RR 888 and while that dries I clean my gear and the sink. Then apply the splash of the day.

Witch Hazel followed by an As once it dries. Depending on the weather I'll follow that with a balm. Usually in the winter when my skin is dried out.

I use an alum block after I shave. Then witch hazel. I also often use an unscented moisturizing after shave to finish. It keeps my skin softer in drier months.

Top Bottom