What's new

Witch Hazel vs. Aftershave

Witch Hazel is an astringent; aftershave splash has astringent properties. Do you need both? Are there different properties in each that are useful to treat the face after a shave?

No need for both although some guys here use both. I am not sure about the specific chemistry that would argue for one over the other. I use AS exclusively.

I solely use unscented witch hazel and am happy to continue doing so as I don't like the scent of any AS I've found. For reference , I don't wear cologne either for the same reason. I do find witch hazel to not only tone the skin and prevent inflammation but also encourage faster healing of any breaks in the skin due to shaving.

Even before going back to SE, then to DE, I used plain Witch Hazel in place of regular AS from time to time. This is the cheap, plain Witch Hazel you find in the pharmacy department. It seemed to do about as well for me. I prefer AS and that's what I use now.

I use WH on my entire face, forehead, nose, etc. to control breakouts from CPAP mask. I also use aftershave, using it on my entire face is too much scent.

I use both and balms. Never all 3 at once though. I don't have a preference. Really it's a personal preference. I'd only say that while it isn't absolutely necessary, most of us would probably recommend that you use at least one. Especially starting out as it's good for the skin. But they all fall in the aftershave category, they are just different styles.

Pro tip: use witch hazel applied to a cotton ball to clean neck and wrists before putting on a dress shirt. This will help prevent rings around the collar and cuffs of your shirt.

Aloe Vera gel is another product to consider. It has been used for years for its healing properties... both externally and internally (it can be ingested). It's cooling and soothing to the skin, and is naturally hypoallergenic. The best form is always from a live plant, but 100% Aloe Vera Gel is widely available.

I usually splash on one of various Thayers Witch Hazel (Superhazel is my favorite) right after my shave. Thayers has all sorts of good stuff to promote healing and moisturizing as well as a good toner for your skin. I will let it dry/soak in as I do clean-up and fix my hair. Then I splash on an aftershave of my choice.

I usually splash on one of various Thayers Witch Hazel (Superhazel is my favorite) right after my shave. Thayers has all sorts of good stuff to promote healing and moisturizing as well as a good toner for your skin. I will let it dry/soak in as I do clean-up and fix my hair. Then I splash on an aftershave of my choice.
I too go about it this way but it takes me longer to clean up so two or three splashes of W.H. than A.S. Then before I go to bed I might use some balm too. I got it, Might as well use it!

Speaking of Thayers: I often go without using an astringent because I don't often feel like using aftershave, and don't have any witch hazel yet. So, what's Thayers' face-feel like? My preconception is that it burns like any astringent; does it?

Top Bottom