What's new

Guess it's time...

I was gifted this brush by a Chef that used to work for me. It belonged to his grandfather and has given me some great use but I think it's finally time for a new knot. Any recommendations for a broke first time restorer??? I'll post progress in this thread as it progresses. I'll get the old knot pulled out in the next day or two.
proxy.php

I'd vote for a blonde boar knot, just for the vintage appearance.
Not a clue where to get one though.
What diameter is it?

Maggard has two sizes of replacement knot - 22mm and 24mm. They're that badger-lookalike synthetic plissoft and will run you $7.00 plus shipping. I got one to restore a vintage Simms brush (not done yet), and the knots seem very well made and feel wonderful. They're exactly the same stuff that's in those Maggard and Razorock synthetic brushes that seem to get such high marks from all their users.

If you are looking for a budget solution, I doubt you'll find a better one. I think the next step up is knots from places like Whipped Dog or China badger knots from sellers like virginiasheng on eBay at $30+ and shipping. Or for boar, buying a cheap Omega and "harvesting" it to put the knot in your own handle.

$IMG_0160.jpg
$IMG_0158.jpg
These are a few brushes I've re-knotted. Most were with Maggard's knots. There are a few tutorials on B&B, but PM me if you have any questions. As for removing the old knot I used the cut and dremel method. Clean handle with Turtle wax polish. Fill the handle with epoxy covered BB's and set knot. A little paint in the lettering with final polish and it'll look like new. Just don't over do with the epoxy.

The Golden Nib has a nice selection of knots, various sizes, hairs, and grades. I've used their boar in a couple brushes, very good.

I'd go with a boar from The Golden Nib for two reasons. They're not much more than a synth from Maggards ($10 or less depending on size) and it will maintain the original classic look. I'm also not a fan of the Maggards type synth, not enough backbone but that's strictly a personal preference.

It shows 21mm. I was thinking a brown horse hair knot.

Thought???

[MENTION=105048]Graydog[/MENTION] really seems to like his. In fact, he's got me wanting to try one. I say go for it! He describes it as between a badger and a boar, so if you like good backbone it should suit your needs.

[MENTION=105048]Graydog[/MENTION] really seems to like his. In fact, he's got me wanting to try one. I say go for it! He describes it as between a badger and a boar, so if you like good backbone it should suit your needs.

I hope so... I ordered it this afternoon.

Just waiting on the knot to ship. I found a synthetic wine cork that fit perfectly into the void and will provide a great shelf.

Top Bottom