What's new

Out of the aftershave splash game for a LONG time and looking to try something new.

I've been a solid balm/rose hip seed oil user for a few years now but I was looking to get back into splashes now and I see from an hours reading in this forum that I don't know what the hell of these brands you guys are talking about even are. Speick, Floid, Sterling, Fine, etc.. I'd honestly never even heard of these. What are your recommendations on some splashes to start with? I'd say my tastes are Proraso green like and I'd rather have a hot lead enema than use Clubman. Or Aqua Velva.

If you like Proraso Green, Floid Vigaroso has a fairly subtle, inoffensive scent, and a nice refreshing menthol tingle
Another refreshing splash is Pino Silvestre, it's got a pine needle scent - but in a good way

Proraso Red also has a great facefeel, scent is quite different and it's not metholated, but you can tell they are made by the same people.

Captain's Choice North has a juniper scent. Phoenix Accoutrement Artisan's Aqua D has a refreshing classic, clean scent. Both CC and PAA provide excellent skin conditioning, IMO. Happy hunting!

Floid Suave. Menthol is about the same as Proraso Green. Face feel is nice & soft as well as moisturized. Scent dry down is vanilla notes with excellent staying power. One of my favs. An excellent aftershave. Price point is a little steep, in my humble opinion.

Stirling has some great aftershaves in a wide variety of flavors and at a great price. Plus they offer sample sizes. I would highly recommend.

Do you like witch hazel? You could try Lucky Tiger or Thayers or any that are based more on witch hazel instead of alcohol. I believe Speick has both. Proraso has a splash and a balm. And many of the soap/cream makers have matching aftershaves.

Lucky Tiger is one of my favorites. No scent but it feels very soothing.

Snakebite and American Blend are nice. Sting then very cold. The scent is sort of plain. Fine Platinum is also nice. PAA splashes are pretty good quality and leave your face feeling good. Most are cold since he seems to dig alum and menthol ( which I do also). Tombstone is my favorite from PAA. Razorock and Italian Barber splashes are priced low and the scents are usually pretty good. I really like the Tuscan Oud. If cold is your thing then adding some menthol to them might be in order. Barrister and Mann is pretty high quality and their scents are nice. I have noticed that if you use RR 888 splash and then let it sit on your face for a few minutes and then use a regular AS on top of it, it will make any splash pretty cold for a few minutes.

If you like Proraso Green, Floid Vigaroso has a fairly subtle, inoffensive scent, and a nice refreshing menthol tingle
Another refreshing splash is Pino Silvestre, it's got a pine needle scent - but in a good way
+1 for Floid Vigaroso. A good value, too.

Everything stated thus far sounds great and it goes to show you'll get a million opinions for this stuff.

For more mainstream brands, I think you can't go wrong with the Proraso Green and Speick. I tend to use both more with regard to the mainstream brands. With a gun to my head and only given the choice of one ... it's probably the Proraso Green that wins out.

After this, it really goes down the rabbit hole and I think the idea of trying samples from mainstream brands and artisan makers out there makes sense. I'm a HUGE fan of Stirling's and Razorock's aftershaves thus far. Not all of them are for me, but I've found a few and the quality is excellent.

Maggards has a lot of options for samples, so worth considering them to test things out.

Top Bottom