What's new

A 10/22, but which one?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Ruger Charger caught my eye. The black stock, nondetachable barrel one. I started looking ...

Its been years since I had a 10/22; Christmas is coming. But which one? A tricked out (hate the word) "tactical" one?

An under folder stock ala the MP-40 has appeal ... The BX-25 mags are said to be very very reliable.

I like the idea of a compact version. Stainless is always a plus.

What ideal 10/22 would you assemble? Have you tripped across any neat custom ideas? Stocks?

Criteria:

1. Possible low-key self-defense.

2. "Kit gun" take-along

3. Backyard plinking / hunting

AA

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you are the type who can't leave well enough alone...buy the cheapest one you can find since every single piece on the rifle has a cooler nicer more expensive alternative.

If you aren't gonna touch it ever, A stainless barreled take down would be my choice I think. My 10/22 is the plastic stocked stainless barreled affair, one day to be worked over.

Like Kentos, I have a low end .22. Not so low end that there are build issues, but nothing special. It is great for small game and plinking. For any home defense, I recommend a pump shotgun. I have other firearms, and the shotgun was actually purchased for deer, with a slug barrel, but the sound of the action will scare most intruders out of the house. Those who don't run off will get the business end, although I really hope it never comes to that.

Sorry, but I don't subscribe to that "pump the shotgun to scare them off" theory....I do not want a defensive weapon without one in the chamber. First, there may not be enough time to rack it when needed or it may jam. Second, I may not want the noise to give away my position.

As far as the 10/22 goes. Get a new cheap one and enjoy it or buy a used one someone else has already thrown a pile of money at trying to make it into something it is not.

Sorry, but I don't subscribe to that "pump the shotgun to scare them off" theory....I do not want a defensive weapon without one in the chamber. First, there may not be enough time to rack it when needed or it may jam. Second, I may not want the noise to give away my position.

As far as the 10/22 goes. Get a new cheap one and enjoy it or buy a used one someone else has already thrown a pile of money at trying to make it into something it is not.
I guess I wasn't clear on that. Always chamber a round and be ready to use it. I don't keep a shell chambered, but it only takes a moment to get it ready. And there are the pistols if I need something right away. Still hope it will never come to that.

"Sorry, but I don't subscribe to that "pump the shotgun to scare them off" theory....I do not want a defensive weapon without one in the chamber. First, there may not be enough time to rack it when needed or it may jam. Second, I may not want the noise to give away my position."

The vast majority of law enforcement agencies in America will disagree with you on this point...

"I don't keep a shell chambered, but it only takes a moment to get it ready"

The same majority will agree with you here.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks. To be clear, I have self defense firearms already, just looking for a multi role 10\22. Thought if a used one even, but worried about muzzle crown wear or damage. Can't clean these from the breach, as I recall, unless you drill a cleaning rod hole in receiver back.

AA

I have a Savage MK2 that looks like the one in the photo below. I used to have an almost identical Ruger 10/22 but in stainless. Reason I switched to the savage was if I decided to use it for small game, in PA the law states you must use bolt, lever, or pump action. No semi-auto allowed.

Both of them are absolute tack drivers. In fact my Savage out-shoots my friends very expensive Anshutz target .22.

As far as the defense aspect goes, first rule is, the firearm you have is always better than the one that you don't. That being said, just no. Not a .22. Most things bigger than a raccoon will just get angry that you shot them with it.

Also, as a defensive firearms instructor, most situations you don't want that barrel sticking out in front of you for someone to grab unless you have extensive training. But again, see rule number one.
Relying on the slide rack sound, not a good idea either. Now they not only know you are there, but where you are as well. I recommend a reliable handgun of 9mm/.38 or greater caliber and simple to operate under stress. But, yet again, see rule number one. $guns042812-054.jpg

Edit. You posted while I was writing so you can ignore my defense rant.

Last edited:
I'm probably twisted in the head or something, but I'm not a huge fan of the 10/22 or the customization thereof, though both represent quite the worthwhile hobby for some astute shooters I know. Only a plain 10/22 lives here and it best suite my needs for a magazine-fed, semi-automatic .22 rifle. I can leave well enough alone.

Criteria:

1. Possible low-key self-defense.

2. "Kit gun" take-along

3. Backyard plinking / hunting

The 10/22, even in it's most plebeian form, could serve quite well addressing your criteria.

A person could mount an enthusiastic defense and the rifle would be about as powerful as some center fire cartridges used in some of these stunted pocket pistols that are so popular and in many cases the 10/22 would be more effective to wield accurately. If told I was about to have to defeat an assailant and given a choice between the 10/22 and the Kel Tec P3AT I have around here, I'd go for the 10/22.

Attach a sling to the 10/22 and it would go almost anywhere and not be a tiresome bother while tagging along, or go for the take-down model that Kentos suggests for even more convenient portability.

Any .22 rifle is good for endless plinking fun, for an hour or for all day. The 10/22 will be entertaining. The rifle is squirrel/rabbit hunting accurate to 50 yards or so, even with factory sights.

Thanks. To be clear, I have self defense firearms already, just looking for a multi role 10\22. Thought if a used one even, but worried about muzzle crown wear or damage. Can't clean these from the breach, as I recall, unless you drill a cleaning rod hole in receiver back.

AA

You won't be able to drill a hole as your bolt/firing pin assembly would be in the way unless you do a major teardown.

I got a 10/22 with a custom stock, stainless 22" barrel, and competition trigger. It was some sort of anniversary edition from Wal-Mart, but it's been great for plinking.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have the stainless model with the Ruger composite stock. Was thinking about a 4x scope, but I agree with Noel and will just leave it as is. :)

I have a Savage Mark II synthetic stock and stainless barrel that is a real pleasure to shoot. I like the Savage AccuTrigger very much.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Go to Rimfire Central to see all the ways a 10/22 can be tricked out. The possibilities and costs are endless. I kept my walnut stocked sporter as stock for many years. Then I converted it to a precision trainer for F-Class with a heavy stock and barrel, target trigger, etc. KIDD are the best aftermarket parts for high end upgrades, IMHO.

Attachments

• $IMG_0088.jpg
    $IMG_0088.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 122

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Nice high end job, [MENTION=37987]nortac[/MENTION] !

As with ARs, th gun itself- it's just a starting point. Leaning toward under folder, stainless, and undecided on the takedown version.

Or the charger! :lol:

AA

I have the stainless model with the Ruger composite stock. Was thinking about a 4x scope, but I agree with Noel and will just leave it as is. :)

Adding the Tasco 4x to my 10/22 Sporter increased the fun quotient a lot
$IMG_0768.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG_4490.jpg
    $IMG_4490.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 115
Top Bottom