Just wanted to share my first experience with the Merkur Futur Razor. I bought the razor and 10 Merkur Blades from classicshaving.com and received my package after about a week. I threw away the blade that followed with the razor and replaced it with a new one.
- Mach 3 turbo or Mach 3
- Gillette shaving cream, shaving gel or Loreal's shaving gel from their men's collection that I was actually quite happy with.
- Merkur Futur Razor
- Merkur Blades
- Proraso shaving cream (Green tube)
- Shaving Brush. I stole an old shaving brush from my pops. I don't know if it's a badger brush, but I doubt it. It has the brand Victoria.
- A closer shave
- Less skin irritation (I have acne problems)
- Saving money
I started out with a hot shower and kept my face wet and warm. Before the shower I soaked the shaving brush in hot water. Then i dabbed some shaving cream inside it and started to lather directly on my face. I applied the shaving cream, but it was not as thick as Gillette's or L'oreal's at all. I don't know if this was due to my technique or the brush not being a badger brush. I loved the smell from the shaving cream though :-)
I was not able to get it thick like this:
It looked more like this:
I continued using the Futur and didn't have any problems with the angle at all. I started out at the setting 1, but I didn't get the close shave that I expected. I resisted the temptation to push it to get a closer shave. Well I finished up, reapplied some lather and shaved at the setting 2, which felt a bit closer. I did not go against the grain at all, which I usually do with Mach 3. The total shave took about 15 minutes. I didn't cut myself at all and no razor burn. After the shave I applied some moisturiser.
Less skin-irritation and no cuts. So that is basically enough reason to stick to the Futur.
Room for improvements:
- The shave was not as close as I was expecting. I would say it was like my Mach 3 on a good day. Could have something to do with my technique and I also need to get a badger brush, I think. Do you guys think I should shave at a higher setting like 3 or 4 or should I wait?
All in all a good experience.