Same Log ,Badger,Boar,Horse

Graydog

Biblical Innards
3 More from the same log

Brown Horse
Black Badger
Boar
$IMG_6550.jpg

Those came out really nice. I'll have to get tips from you and Jay on turning wood. Let's just say I keep a fire extinguisher near by. I have some black oak, mahogany, black walnut, cherry, Chinese cherry, and maple I don't want to ruin.

I'll never look at fire wood the same again. Seriously.
There might be a brush or something in every piece.

How long is it aged? Is it kiln dried or stabilized or anything?

3 More from the same log

Brown Horse
Black Badger
Boar
View attachment 705744

Excellent work Steve! Very nicely done!

Those came out really nice. I'll have to get tips from you and Jay on turning wood. Let's just say I keep a fire extinguisher near by. I have some black oak, mahogany, black walnut, cherry, Chinese cherry, and maple I don't want to ruin.

What? All that beautiful wood and it's just sitting there? For shame Dave! IMO wood is more forgiving to turn, but more laborious to finish for a handle as you almost have to use CA to get a nice finish that will protect it from water as well as holding up to years of use. Friction polish or wax just doesn't cut it.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I'll never look at fire wood the same again. Seriously.
There might be a brush or something in every piece.

How long is it aged? Is it kiln dried or stabilized or anything?
That log was dried for 3 years outside in my fire wood then brought inside for a while.

What? All that beautiful wood and it's just sitting there? For shame Dave! IMO wood is more forgiving to turn, but more laborious to finish for a handle as you almost have to use CA to get a nice finish that will protect it from water as well as holding up to years of use. Friction polish or wax just doesn't cut it.

I been given some and have been slowly picking up a nice piece here and there. I was looking at CA a couple days ago, but no nothing about it, especially how to apply it. Sounds like I don't want it on my hands.

I been given some and have been slowly picking up a nice piece here and there. I was looking at CA a couple days ago, but no nothing about it, especially how to apply it. Sounds like I don't want it on my hands.
Check out Lumberjocks.com for information on using CA. There are some great folks there who are generous about sharing their knowledge with woodworking.

I don't want to hijack this thread but email me when you're ready to try it and I'll give you all the info I've learned from others as well as from my own experience. Also watching videos on Youtube about doing a CA pen finish will help as the process is the exact same, unfortunately there are some not so good "tutorials" out there.

Horse but a nice broken hog is not to far behind

You've got me wanting to try alternatives to badger. I'm not of a fan of synths and the only boar I tried was an Every-Ready that I gutted to replace with a finest. I'd like to give a good boar a try as well as a horse hair knot. How's the backbone with horse hair?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I don't want to hijack this thread but email me when you're ready to try it and I'll give you all the info I've learned from others as well as from my own experience. Also watching videos on Youtube about doing a CA pen finish will help as the process is the exact same, unfortunately there are some not so good "tutorials" out there.

You've got me wanting to try alternatives to badger. I'm not of a fan of synths and the only boar I tried was an Every-Ready that I gutted to replace with a finest. I'd like to give a good boar a try as well as a horse hair knot. How's the backbone with horse hair?

The Horse has been described as The in between Badger/Boar. I like the backbone that 23.5 Brown Horse Hair Knot from VS. has,the size is nice and it makes great lather.
My Favorite Boar so far is the Seamouge 830,they are under 25 clams

Steve, were do you get your horse hair knots if may ask?

The Horse has been described as The in between Badger/Boar. I like the backbone that 23.5 Brown Horse Hair Knot from VS. has,the size is nice and it makes great lather.

Steve, were do you get your horse hair knots if may ask? Does VS stand for Vigshaving?

Steve, were do you get your horse hair knots if may ask? Does VS stand for Vigshaving?

Yes, Virginia Sheng or Vigshaving. I have one coming in the mail this week! They aren't as cheap as they used to be, strangely. Getting them on AliExpress will save you a buck or two per knot.

Yes, Virginia Sheng or Vigshaving. I have one coming in the mail this week! They aren't as cheap as they used to be, strangely. Getting them on AliExpress will save you a buck or two per knot.

Thanks. I've been wanting to try a horse hair brush for awhile now. Vigshaving knots, at least the finest banded Badgers I've got, are pretty good. I went ahead and ordered 3.

Hey Steve, did you experience any shedding issues with your knot? I washed and test lathered mine several times straight from the mailbox and it lost probably 30+ hairs in the process. I combed it gently after, but I can still pick out a hair or two every few times I brush my hands over it.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Hey Steve, did you experience any shedding issues with your knot? I washed and test lathered mine several times straight from the mailbox and it lost probably 30+ hairs in the process. I combed it gently after, but I can still pick out a hair or two every few times I brush my hands over it.
I have had a few hairs ,but never really more than a few.
I have had a good experience with them so far. I always buy just the knot and glue it in one of my own handles before I cleaned it really good.

Top Bottom