What's new

I'm tired of my crappy kitchen knifes

I'm tired of my crappy knifes that I use in the kitchen. Does anybody know where I can get a good knife set for a decent price and Something that will last a long time? I've also been looking around for cyber Monday deals and I haven't found anything but then again I don't know much about knife sets

Wusthof or Henckel. They aren't cheap but when you buy sets you get some discounts. I have mainly Henckel and for the reason you mentioned. I just got tired of crappy kitchen knives. I also got some good Calphalon pot and pans while I was at it.

There are generally two tiers price-wise for the better knives. Get the upper tier. Better steel, better weight/balance. I got a set of steak knives, bread knife, paring knife and whatever you call the big chopping knife that you use all the time.

Last edited:
I love my henckels. Going on 15 years now. I doubt I will ever have to replace them. Spend as much as you can on them, it's worth it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yeah . . . Mess Hall.

For the most part . . . by people who use knives and cook and idiots like me . . . knife sets are over kill. Better to pick and choose the 3 or 4 knives you will use most. I think it is the truth when I say you can almost spend as little or as much as you like and still make swell choices that will last a lifetime.

If you're looking at Wusthof then please do skip their Gourmet line of knives as they are severely inferior to their other lines.

Same deal with the Henkel's lower end line as well.

The lower end knives aren't full tang and are often stamped.

You want a high quality forged steel full tang knife.

Last edited:
can some point me in the right direction in regards to Wusthof sets

Wustof Classic is what you want. There are a few variations on the handle that account for the price differences between the three (I think) models of the Classic series. So it's just preference there. Just avoid their Gourmet line entirely and you're fine.

Last edited:
Another thing, don't ever put them in the dishwasher (it voids the warranty and destroys the edge) and they'll likely you last for decades.

ok so what do i use for steak knifes lol

Steak knives I use a much cheaper knife for. I've thought about buying nice ones but then I'd have to server everything on cutting boards. So you can pick up something inexpensive for those as you don't want to put a nice edge on an expensive steak knife to watch someone rub it on a dinner plate and completely ruin it in ten seconds.

I'm using some older Chicago Cutlery ones that I don't care much about. You can likely find something durable at the local box store that'll more than meet the need. I'd look for something inexpensive yet sturdy and keep it cheap here.

Last edited:
A lot of people will recommend you purchase knives individually instead of buying a set. This is because the sets usually don't contain the knives that you really need and usually include a lot of knives that you don't need which drives up the price.

In the Wusthof Classic line I'd choose an 8 inch Chef's knife, a paring knife and the 6 inch utility knife (a great in between). A bread knife is often added later on as well.

Just do a search on google, type in Best Kitchen Knives and start reading. You'll see Wusthof Classic, Henkel's higher end offerings and several others. I'd choose the Wustof Classic or Henkel's better knives.

Victorinox are likely your best value knife but don't expect them to be on par with the higher end Wusthof and Henkel's offerings as they aren't even close. They are functional and a good option if you're on a tight budget but they aren't all that impressive to me. They remind me of the plastic handled restaurant knives that we had at the restaurant I used to work at as a kid. I bought a set for a friend a while back as I knew they would be going in the dishwasher every time. I would have bought a couple Wusthof Classic knives instead but I couldn't bear to watch them be improperly cared for and destroyed. So overalll, they do work well and serve their purpose, so at least I have a decent knife to use at their house, after I sharpen it that is.

I'd tell you to visit some stores and handle the Wusthof and Henkel's knives but if you want to catch a Cyber Monday deal you likely don't have time to do that.

Top Bottom