What's new

Not very impressed with Martin De Candre.

I've been DE shaving for quite a few years. And am no stranger to proper lather prep. I recently got my hands on and tried both MdC fougere and unscented. Got to say I wasn't blown away. They both latherered up very fast and rich. Better than most. But, I felt the protection, cushion and slickness was not as satisfying for me as with tallow-based soaps and some creams. I tried varying the lather prep with different amounts of water, etc. But, they just didn't deliver. I'd be curious as to what others have to say.

But, I felt the protection, cushion and slickness was not as satisfying for me as with tallow-based soaps and some creams.

I'm not that impressed with MdC either--but it's not a tallow thing. SV has no tallow and blows away almost everything else I've tried. And XPEC, SMN, and ABC have no tallow either. Castle Forbes, Nancy Boy, I Coloniali ...

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Make the lather really wet, till it almost drips off your face, and give it another try.

Cheers, Steve

I gave it a shot too and sold mine off. Lathered well but to me didn't offer the slickness or protection of others in my den. I found the post shave lacking as well and my face was left pretty dry. You can tell it's a quality product just not for me I guess.

I don't really care for it, either. Lots of better vegan soaps, in my opinion, including but not limited to I Coloniali, Dr. Jon's, and Country Club for Men.

I gave it a shot too and sold mine off. Lathered well but to me didn't offer the slickness or protection of others in my den. I found the post shave lacking as well and my face was left pretty dry. You can tell it's a quality product just not for me I guess.
+ 1
Wasn't impressed.

I have the Fougere and I think it is a really good soap, but at the price I don't think I like it enough to replace it after I use it up. There are many soaps that cost much less and preform just as well. I am glad I tried it and use it sparingly so it will last a while.

I've never tried it. Was going to ask a friend in Paris to send me some, but heard it is pricey there, too. I cannot bring myself to pay that kind of cash for a soap. Shame it didn't work out for you.

I have soaps that are slicker or with better post shave, but I can always count on a good shave with it. It is very consistent in that regard. It has well above average performance with a scent I like a lot.

I love the Fougere, both scent and performance. Aside from a few creams (Wm Neumann, XPEC, Castle Forbes), nothing lathers as easily. Given how long a jar lasts, and how many other soaps and creams need turns, I don't need to worry about whether I'll ever replace it.

MdC works well for me! Clearly YMMV. I suggest you try a number of lathering options before reaching a final decision.

Thanks to those who responded. So....I wasn't dreaming...lol. Anyway, it moved within 12 hours yesterday - at a profit - on eBay.

I love the Fougere, both scent and performance. Aside from a few creams (Wm Neumann, XPEC, Castle Forbes), nothing lathers as easily. Given how long a jar lasts, and how many other soaps and creams need turns, I don't need to worry about whether I'll ever replace it.

I thought I was the only one using Wm Neumann. Their creams are indeed amazing. I particular like their Soda Pop scent.

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one using Wm Neumann. Their creams are indeed amazing. I particular like their Soda Pop scent. Trufitt & Hill 1805 works great as well.

I guess there are two of us. Wm Neumann creams are my favorite lathering solution. I have Old-Fashioned Soda, 1907, Heartwood,1911 and Absolute Zero. Love them all.

My goodness, it wasn't that long ago that the positive hype on this soap was through the stratosphere. Guys on here were mortgaging their homes to ship the stuff into North America, and planning French vacations with empty suitcases.

Well, maybe not that bad, but it was close. I never have tried MdC, didn't want to sell a kidney to get a jar/flower pot/candy dish (or whatever else they are selling the stuff in these days). But I have envied, Lord yes I have envied. The Cool Kids were all using MdC.

And now, for a small few, it looks like L'Empereur has no clothes. Just goes to show you, YMMV can be a harsh mistress. I don't feel so bad about not being one of the Cool Kids now.

Similar experience here. I got a small sample pad of the original scent version off ebay to try it out without dropping lots of cash.

My general impression was that it's a great face soap, but a "meh" shaving soap. It leaves your face feeling very fresh and clear, and the scent is expertly formulated (if strong) but slickness and protection were middle-of-the-road "meh". Neither great nor bad, just competent. It would be a great shaving soap if it was like 1/4 the price, but for cost and the hype, I expected a lot more. There's nothing wrong with it, but there are cheaper brands which are as good or better.

I'd definitely consider buying bath or face soaps from MDC as fancy SO gifts, as the actual soap aspect really is that nice, but for shaving IMO it's a Lexus (at best) that people have convinced themselves is a Bugetti because of the price and origin.

Similar experience here. I got a small sample pad of the original scent version off ebay to try it out without dropping lots of cash.

My general impression was that it's a great face soap, but a "meh" shaving soap. It leaves your face feeling very fresh and clear, and the scent is expertly formulated (if strong) but slickness and protection were middle-of-the-road "meh". Neither great nor bad, just competent. It would be a great shaving soap if it was like 1/4 the price, but for cost and the hype, I expected a lot more. There's nothing wrong with it, but there are cheaper brands which are as good or better.

I'd definitely consider buying bath or face soaps from MDC as fancy SO gifts, as the actual soap aspect really is that nice, but for shaving IMO it's a Lexus (at best) that people have convinced themselves is a Bugetti because of the price and origin.

What's your top 5?

+1 Exactly my thoughts

Good soap, but there are several that are better, including France itself. I put both Provence Sante and Institut Karite higher on the list.

Top Bottom