What's new

Irritation

I've been using a SR for a little over two weeks now and for the most part, all has been well. Knock on wood, no horror scenes and not much irritation with the exception of my last shave. I didn't feel any pulling or digging when I shaved, but the only thing I could think that it might be from is I accidentally used too much water when creating my lather and it produced a very thin lather. For the sake of time, I went ahead and used the super thin lather. Could a thin lather cause irritation? I do have very sensitive skin.

-Jordan

Yeah, it's mainly on the right side of my chin and that's the most difficult area for me. I may have spent too much time there trying to get it smooth. It's probably a combination of things all stemming from my limited experience.

My theory is that, excluding allergies, 100% of shaving irritation is caused by shaving with too much pressure. I don't believe in "sensitive" skin.

Whose skin isn't sensitive to a sharp razor used improperly, or a dull one for that matter? [A: no one]
Whose skin is irritated by a razor's spine resting on their cheek? [A: No one]

Well, I have some form of keratosis or psoriasis, so on occasion my skin turns red then flakes without any real known reason. But I don't seem to be reacting to the oils or soaps and balms I use. So I agree with the pressure. I think the thin lather dried a little faster and that made me (before I relathered) apply more pressure when shaving in a difficult spot.

This is not to say that some few people may really have sensitive skin that reacts poorly to almost anything but most people have average sensitivity and average thickness to their facial hair and most think that their skin is more sensitive than average and that's just not the definition of average. :)

Thin lather is usually wet lather. No lather is a problem but wet lather is usually just what we're looking for. The chin area is the toughest for almost everyone. The facial hair is thicker and grows in a different direction. Pressure and not going WTG and a dull blade are the usual culprits in the chin area.

Forcing the issue rather than coming back later for another pass is also a common problem.

I think I lingered in the area too long. Went over it too many times trying to figure out the best angle and irritation became the result. I also probably went too fast.

My 2 cents, combination of thin lather and blade not as sharp as it used to be. I've seen in the past that as the blade dulls I tend to compensate with more pressure and I should really hit the barber's hone a few strokes to tune it up.

I've never had it honed. I bought it "shave ready" from the art of shaving. I've only had it a little over two weeks, but I guess it's possible it needs to be honed already. May have to invest in a hone kit of sorts.

I hone many art of shaving that are new. It can hit or miss with new factor straight razors. I've seen some come in that only needed a tune up and other had to have the bevel set.

Either way, look up a B&B vendor and send it out to be honed. It will be a night and day difference.

After that you decide of you want to learn to maintain the razor yourself or send it out for honing service.

Some people just want to just the car and don't car to become a mechanic.

That sounds good. I'll check around and see what services are close to me and hopefully get it sent out. Downside is, I'll be without a SR for that time. Downside to being a newbie. Lol.

My shave today went much smoother than the last. It could just be my mind messing with me, but now I'm thinking my razor should be sharper than it is. Really might not hurt to get a professional honing service. After that, look into starting the honing process myself.

Lots of factors can play to shave whit out irritation.
#1 the blade angle, try to keep the blade flatter on your face. Dont put to much pressure and let the blade cut
#2 the sharpness of the blade, a blade not sharp enough Will gave you irritation
#3 make sure there is lather where you shave or at least residual slickness
#4 a wet lather is better VS to dry or to thick, a slick lather is more appropriate for straight shaving
#5 this One is very important stroping and honing, stroping is to my opinion the key of a good shaving result.maintaining the edge of your straight is very important.
Hope it helps

Last edited:
Lots of factors can play to shave whit out irritation.
#1 the blade angle, try to keep the blade flatter on your face. Dont put to much pressure and let the blade cut
#2 the sharpness of the blade, a blade not sharp enough Will gave you irritation
#3 make sure there is lather where you shave or at least residual slickness
#4 a wet lather is better VS to dry or to thick, a slick lather is more appropriate for straight shaving
#5 this One is very important stroping and honing, stroping is to my opinion the key of a good shaving result.maintaining the edge of your straight is very important.
Hope it helps

Thanks for the input! I think it was definitely a combination of a few of those. More than likely, I can chalk it up to inexperience. I'm certainly learning more and more each shave.

I have a dovo 2" linen and leather. I strop 30 passes on linen and 60 passes on leather pre shave and 15 linen and 30 leather post shave. It's a bit difficult with the 2" trying to cover the entire blade.

I have a dovo 2" linen and leather. I strop 30 passes on linen and 60 passes on leather pre shave and 15 linen and 30 leather post shave. It's a bit difficult with the 2" trying to cover the entire blade.

Sounds like your stropping is going well providing your not rolling the edge.

You could try doing a single wtg pass with the straight and finish with you de/se and see how your face likes it...if good next shave do the second and se/de for ATG ....till your face tells you what it likes.

Knock on wood, I've been focusing on lightening the pressure and fighting the urge to hit an area before relathering. That coupled with slowing down my shaves has really helped the irritation. I may not get a BBS shave, but I get a solid shave and no irritation. I'm assuming the BBS will come with time and experience. Thanks!

Top Bottom