What's new

Armpits sometimes get clogged with anti pers/deodorant.alternatives?

Rubbing witch hazel doesn't really last too long
Alcohol tends to make things sweat even more under my pits

What are some good ways to control the SMELL (more than the sweat/moisture in my case) under my pits WITHOUT using deodorant?

I shave it as much as I can under my pits, but some weeks I may miss it and I really feel it then.

Ironically when I do shave my pits I tend to notice my sweat/perspiration evaporating less than usual

Alum. Apply alum under your arms. Great at keeping the smell away. They make in a form that looks like deodorant, but you can use shaving alum as well if you have an extra block around.

Contrary to the other gent's suggestions, alum just isn't effective for me.

The Razorock natural deodorant works well.

But, what works best for me is to make my own:

1/4 C coconut oil
1/8 C baking soda
1/8 C cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon (or to preference) essential oil of your choosing. *I like Oakmoss EO for a barbershop type scent

Warm the coconut oil to melting, mix in the other ingredients thoroughly. Pour into a lidded container, let cool to a solid, and apply with your finger. Note that coconut oil has a low melting point (78 degrees if I remember correct) so you might have to store it in the refrigerator depending on ambient temp in your house.

Last edited:
Alum clogs my pores pretty badly, especially after shaves, and in my experience doens't give an all day protection, 4 hours tops

My best option so far has been Tom's aluminum free deodorant but it can also clog after some time/ high activity by creating a huge base layer, weird sitcky feeling and not a lot of odor options

Try old spice classic deodorant. It took a week for me to get used to no antiperspirant. I realized I didn't sweat anymore without it. The only deodorant that seems to work all day is the classic. It's very clean feeling.

I've been using the crystal deodorant which I think is basically alum but it's polished smooth so its comfortable to put on. They claim the stick lasts for a year and I don't doubt it. Works good for me.

What are some good ways to control the SMELL (more than the sweat/moisture in my case) under my pits WITHOUT using deodorant?

This!
proxy.php

I was continually getting a rash in my armpits from spray on anti-perspirant deodorant and my white t-shirts would eventually stain yellow. This stuff was a game changer for me five six years ago and I never looked back. Apply while underarms are wet and let air dry. Prevents the growth of bacteria, and thus controls odor.

~Royce

This!
proxy.php

I was continually getting a rash in my armpits from spray on anti-perspirant deodorant and my white t-shirts would eventually stain yellow. This stuff was a game changer for me five six years ago and I never looked back. Apply while underarms are wet and let air dry. Prevents the growth of bacteria, and thus controls odor.

~Royce

I use this as well. Fantastic stuff.

I've been using the crystal deodorant which I think is basically alum but it's polished smooth so its comfortable to put on. They claim the stick lasts for a year and I don't doubt it. Works good for me.
how
does that work. do you wet it to apply it?

I use Arm and Hammer natural. It is great.
Nopeclogs
it

Frankly all the aluminum based deodorants had the same affect. Tom's aluminum free was the best I've tried so far and old spice (but it gets boring scent wise)

Top Bottom