What's new

Blade Wars: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum black vs. 7 O'clock Super Platinum blue

$IMG_1286.PNG

Shave 8
Face lathered with Stirling Arkadia

Went for a three-pass shave to see if I could detect some separation between these blades.

For the first several shaves, when there was a difference, the red felt ever-so-slightly sharper. For the last two shaves, the green has closed the gap. It may be just a tiny bit sharper at this point, but it's so close I can't be sure.

The first two passes were similar. Of course it is usually the third pass that separates the contenders from the pretenders. Well, the third pass was just about the same, too. I did get some irritation on my neck after this shave, which is understandable given it's the eighth shave with these blades. There was more irritation on left (red) side.

Followed with Pinaud Citrus Musk and Lubriderm moisturizer.

We're heading into the late rounds here. Reminds me of the days of 15 round heavyweight championship fights...

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't get more than two or three shaves out of any blade. At this point, I'm more interested in your ability to push these blades for 8+ shaves. I did a second shave with a Shark Super Chrome blade from my sample pack yesterday and the ensuing pain almost put me off from shaving ever again. My beard must be made out of steel wool.

Check out the Excalibur thread in the "Clubs and Brotherhoods" subforum in the Shave of the Day section. Lots of good info in there about how to improve your technique to get better shaves and more blade life.

In a nutshell, excellent prep (gotta soften up that hair before trying to shave it), low blade angle, and good directional control of the razor make a big difference.

I have personally found that low angle turns a "dull" blade like a Dorco ST 301 from a horrible pulling disaster into a comfortable close shaving blade that never cuts me. I think if it's comfortable, you will also get good blade life and little or no irritation. Good blade life comes along with comfort, as when you are getting optimal cutting action (no pulling, clean shave) you are also reducing wear on the blade.

Not to say you will get 50 shave on each Shark, but you should definitely be getting more than one!

Peter

I can't get more than two or three shaves out of any blade. At this point, I'm more interested in your ability to push these blades for 8+ shaves. I did a second shave with a Shark Super Chrome blade from my sample pack yesterday and the ensuing pain almost put me off from shaving ever again. My beard must be made out of steel wool.

I'm only shaving half of my face with each shave, so I haven't done eight total shaves. When I'm not doing a blade war, I usually toss a blade after three shaves. I haven't tried Sharks yet, but I do find that some brands have significantly more durability than others. The bottom line for me is that I've found a number of great blades that cost under 20 cents each. If I get a couple of good shaves and then toss them, it's no big loss. Plus I get the pleasure of testing out a new blade next time!

Shave 9

red=right, green=left
Face lathered with Tabac

Pass one - Red is starting to feel a little dull. I can feel myself pressing and going over unlathered spots. Green feels a tiny bit sharper, but perhaps not quite as smooth.

Pass two - I gave myself a cut under my nose with the red razor, as I was pressing too hard trying to help the razor do its job.

I don't see this one going very much longer, but I still do not see one blade as significantly superior to the other. If I could buy them in the same quantity for similar prices, I would get them both. Of course, the Black Ninjas are still in production, so they are the obvious value choice over the discontinues 7 O'clock blues. At first, I slightly favored the red razor, but it seems the green may have the edge with durability. It's going to be a tough call. I'll probably make it after the next shave.

Shave 10
Face lathered with XXX
green=right, red=left

Pass 1 - Green is still going pretty strong. It isn't as smooth as it once was, but still feels sharp. Red is losing steam face. There's noticeable drag, and it is not cutting a cleanly as it once did.

Pass 2 - Not much difference. Both were very good.

At this point, the blade in the green razor is better than the blade in the red one, which makes this blade war nearly impossible to call. If you value longevity, then green is for you. It is still going strong after 10 half-face shaves. While red pooped out a little earlier, I pick it as the winner. For me, longevity is not an issue. I doubt I will live long enough to use all the razor blades I have, and if I do, I trust that I will be able to buy as many as I need for peanuts. For what you get, DE blades are ridiculously inexpensive. For the first several shaves, the red razor was as smooth, sharp, and excellent as any blade I've ever used. Combined with the razor I used, which is about "medium" in aggressiveness, it is just about perfect.

As I said before, whether or not the 7 O'clock Blacks are the winner, I would highly, highly recommend them, as both these blades are phenomenal.

I'll open up the razors later this evening when I get home from work.

The Reveal...

By split decision...

Excalibers and other durability loves may not agree...

Green was great...

Red was a little sharper and smoother...

From Russia... is it the same as GSB?

Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum blue!

Ok, let's see, at my current blade usage I should be able to squeeze in a test of the 7 O'clock black sometime in July or August of next year if I bump the Nacets from the list....

I get a lot more than 4 or 5 full shaves out of a blade....

Peter

Fixed that for you!

:lol:

Another excellent Blade War C-Dub! This one could have gone either way depending on what one wants in a blade. Like you, I'd be happy with either one of these as a go-to. The question still remains: Is the Blue the original GSB? I'm going with yes based solely on our Gillette member's very strong hint, he would also know better than me so who am I to argue? Thanks for going the extra shaves to declare a winner, my sword is now safely sheathed!

Last edited:
Lol, so far I'm getting 20+ shaves on decent blades and as many as 6 from a Derby (and that was only on one edge, I never used the other side), so it's gonna take a while to get there. What I have in razors at the moment will carry me through the middle of January, I think -- Dorco 301 at 7 shaves on one edge, a Rubie with two, a Polsilver with 1, and a Dorco Prime with one. Couple months of shaving before I use them up, I think.

Wilkinson Classics and Personnas up next, then a Nacet and sometime before Feb 1 I need to decide what to use for the One Blade in Feb challange....

Peter

Excellent... great war, good decision. I'm with you on durability, and think you picked the better blade from your shaves (by a hair) for the victor.....

Who knows, had we not threatened to revolt, it may have been another tie.

Excellent... great war, good decision. I'm with you on durability, and think you picked the better blade from your shaves (by a hair) for the victor.....

Who knows, had we not threatened to revolt, it may have been another tie.
Now you tell me.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Hahaha. I just came in here for maybe the first time in a couple years, at least, just to see what was going on and found this Gillette Blue/Black thread. Way back in 2011, I sent two Russian 7 O'Clock blues and 2 Indian 7 O'Clock blacks to 10 people here and they all posted their comparison thoughts. Then to make it more interesting, I sent some NOS Schick Plus Platinums, circa 1970's to one of the testers.

Pretty much came out as a tie, but I miss all the enthusiasm of the testing. I liked the blacks so much I bought 700 of them, and now I'm down to a couple soaps and a couple creams and kinds settled in to a routine, and drifted away. Anyway, though you guys might enjoy this ooooold post.

Ninja vs. Spetznaz - The results thread! Gillette blue vs black Super Plats

Top Bottom