What's new

Fragrances for Barbershop lover

Hi everyone! I have been looking to move away from scents in my shave supplies and just pair it with a good cologne. Any good suggestions for someone who loves barbershop scents? Also, any suggestions would be great! I just am not a fan of the very ocean or flowery scents.

The Cream and matching balm that Trader Joe's sells as a set has a unique sent. I haven't found another manufacturer and it's not labeled as anything specific. Not flowery. Not ocean fresh.

One of my favorites is YSL Rive Gauche. Also check out Brooks Brothers 1818 if you live near a store. I think I got mine for around $60 and the bottle is huge, so it is a great value if you like the scent.

I can offer some suggestions that I equate with "barbershop" scents.

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
Paul Sebastian PS Fine Cologne for Men

I use these after I apply Clubman or Master Well Comb Lord and Master aftershaves. They compliment one another.

Royal Copenhagen for men

This has a nice, soapy scent to me. I often follow an application of Mennen Afta Original with Royal Copenhagen

Brut 33 Classic cologne

That is, if you like the aftershave.

One of my favorites is YSL Rive Gauche...

I just knew someone else would have already recommended YSL's Rive Gauche. :thumbup1: I have read others describing it as a "barbershop" fragrance and I can't deny there is something about it that reminds me of a barber's shop - I think it has similarities to talc that they used in a barber shop I used to go to as a child.

It is a fine fragrance.

Last edited:
If you love barbershop scents, there are so many good choices out there.
My suggestion is to make a few visits to a fragrance shop like Sephora and test as many as you can.
Some classic old school type I'd suggest starting with: Azzaro pour homme, Drakkar Noir, Caron 3me homme, Givenchy Gentlemen, Chanel Monseur, Ataeus, etc
More modern: YSL La Collection Rive Gauche (the old formulation is discontinued unfortunately), Azzaro por homme l'eau (more contemporary and fresher than the original), Acqua di Parma Essenza di Colonia, Chanel Egoiste or Egoiste Platinum, Penhaligon Sartorial, Floris Santal etc

There are of course many more. Let us know which ones you liked.

Yes, the obvious is Rive Gauche

personally, for that close, skin scent, I prefer Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Soapy, somewhat herbal. That lavender and oakmoss give it that barbershop tone.

Aqua Velva, Brut, Old Spice and Mennen Skin Bracer are about as "Barbershop" as it gets

If you like Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve or Tabac Original, there is a great cologne from Spain that has been around since 1917, and I've read it's popular with Cubans and also in the Miami area.....

Varon Dandy

The way I see it, 1000s of men in Spain since 1917 can't have been wrong................

It has a very leathery scent, and although a little goes a very long way, it's still inoffensive - even if you "announce your presence" with it.
When I wear it, good looking girls of all nationalities often smile, the scent is clean and intriguing - good looking Spanish girls probably love the scent of Varon Dandy because they have happy memories of their Dad or Uncle or Grandad wearing it
Well preserved middle aged women seem to love the scent, some even comment that I smell nice, Spanish women love it because they probably associate Varon Dandy with the first date with their husband
Older ladies often smile, older Spanish ladies love the scent

I'm not claiming that Varon Dandy will turn you into God's gift to women, but it's been the cologne of choice for gentlemen in Spain for 99 years

Haven't tried the Varon Dandy, but when I use Clubman Original, I always follow with a spray or two of Penhaligon Sartorial. To my nose, very close in scent, and very complimentary.

Haven't tried the Varon Dandy, but when I use Clubman Original, I always follow with a spray or two of Penhaligon Sartorial. To my nose, very close in scent, and very complimentary.

Amazon sells a litre (34 ounces in old money) for $26.90 with free shipping in USA
A year's supply for most guys
https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=...YMGQsCK6AmTYF0jXrauc4g&bvm=bv.139782543,d.bGs
proxy.php

Oh man you guys have given me so much to try. I went onto Decantshop.com, which if you have not been is great for 1ML sample vials, and they had a lot of the stuff you suggested. I will have to venture into Canoe and Varon Dandy after my wife stops being mad at me for ordering all these vials lol. I will let you know which ones I liked and more importantly which ones my wife liked. Alot of the reviews said that anyone under 30 could not really pull these off, well I am 25, buts lets find out :) I would love to smell like a barbershop all day lol

Aqua Velva, Brut, Old Spice and Mennen Skin Bracer are about as "Barbershop" as it gets

If you like Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve or Tabac Original, there is a great cologne from Spain that has been around since 1917, and I've read it's popular with Cubans and also in the Miami area.....

Varon Dandy

The way I see it, 1000s of men in Spain since 1917 can't have been wrong................

It has a very leathery scent, and although a little goes a very long way, it's still inoffensive - even if you "announce your presence" with it.
When I wear it, good looking girls of all nationalities often smile, the scent is clean and intriguing - good looking Spanish girls probably love the scent of Varon Dandy because they have happy memories of their Dad or Uncle or Grandad wearing it
Well preserved middle aged women seem to love the scent, some even comment that I smell nice, Spanish women love it because they probably associate Varon Dandy with the first date with their husband
Older ladies often smile, older Spanish ladies love the scent

I'm not claiming that Varon Dandy will turn you into God's gift to women, but it's been the cologne of choice for gentlemen in Spain for 99 years
I love SR and Tabac. I'm going to have to look into this one. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom