What's new

society of the hairxplorer

Hi Romain,

I've done what you're talking about in changing the part from one side to the other. It does work. Keeping it that way with pomade definitely helps. When I used that method in the past, I didn't have pomade to keep my hair place, and it was constantly falling forward into my eyes.

Did you use a hair dryer after applying the quicksand? What are you using with Quicksand to keep your hair oiled and not trying up?

I purchased the Quicksand pomade from EBAY. I got it for $23.90. It's a fair price for the 2oz container. I was thinking of purchasing the kit that you showed me, but it cost $20. I would buy it, but there's only two pomades from Hanz de Fuko line that interests me - Sponge Wax and Quicksand. The Hybridized wax looks and acts like a simple wax, but with a steep price tag from the company. I'm looking forward to using the Quicksand. I think it's going to be great for my hair. I've never seen a pomade that gives instant volume like that stuff.

Did you use a hair dryer after applying the quicksand? What are you using with Quicksand to keep your hair oiled and not trying up?

Hi David,

I usually use quicksand on it s own or i apply apply a tiny amount of texturing powder before i apply quicksand. Remember a tiny amount goes a long long way. Less is more volume!

I usually finish with american crew defining paste as i don't like the sandy touch it leaves in my hair.
This is the only product from them i really like. ( i hate the scent of forming cream it smells like cheap aftershave.) or i use aquafish matt putty.

I purchased the Quicksand pomade from EBAY. I got it for $23.90. It's a fair price for the 2oz container. I was thinking of purchasing the kit that you showed me, but it cost $20. I would buy it, but there's only two pomades from Hanz de Fuko line that interests me - Sponge Wax and Quicksand. The Hybridized wax looks and acts like a simple wax, but with a steep price tag from the company. I'm looking forward to using the Quicksand. I think it's going to be great for my hair. I've never seen a pomade that gives instant volume like that stuff.

Great ! Let me know it works for you and how you use it. Claymation is really really good.

Today i used claymation and a blowdryer and booom beautifull hold and matt finish. That s my favourite hair product period. What do u say ?

proxy.php

I also tested a clay from aquafish. It says on the tin it s a medium hold matt finish. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It s a strong hold (good point in my book) which darkens my hair but with a medium to light shine. I really really don't like that finish. I did use claymation to compare the result and it s definitely miles better !

I guess when it comes to my hair products i need to go high end for my baseline...

Romain

$quicksand.jpg
Hey Romain,

Okay, I got the Quicksand today. It's still frozen from having been out in my mailbox. Waiting for it to thaw out. Not sure which pomade to put with it. I don't go it alone with Quicksand, because everyone is saying how it dries out their hair. You're using American Crew Defining Paste with it?

I can't wait to try this stuff out. I'll go with one scoop tomorrow and see how that goes.

Hey Romain,

Okay, I got the Quicksand today. It's still frozen from having been out in my mailbox. Waiting for it to thaw out. Not sure which pomade to put with it. I don't go it alone with Quicksand, because everyone is saying how it dries out their hair. You're using American Crew Defining Paste with it?

I can't wait to try this stuff out. I'll go with one scoop tomorrow and see how that goes.

Hi david,

This is a great buy ! I hope you ll enjoy it as much as i do. Remember to go easy on it. A small quantity is all you need.

I usually use another product with quicksand, like another matt finish like american crew defining paste. I also use it on a it's sometimes.

It s definitely a product i enjoy.

Today i experimented a bit with my hair stuling and ended up with this. I only used a small amiunt of claymation to style and finished with my usual hairspray.

It did hold all day (this picture was taken after i hot back home.)
proxy.php

Thoughts ?

Romain

With Rezel grooming tonic I can blow dry a ton of volume into my hair, then I just top of with a little pomade to hold it in place and done.

With Rezel grooming tonic I can blow dry a ton of volume into my hair, then I just top of with a little pomade to hold it in place and done.

I haven't ventured in the space of prestylers (yet) hoe much do you use ? What does it looks like with and without?

I use maybe a teaspoon worth. After you blow dry you can't tell it was ever in your hair. If you don't blow dry it dries as if maybe you had a light spritz of hairspray. I'm able to get a lot more lift and volume with it. I'm sure other products do the same thing but I love the tonic.

I haven't ventured in the space of prestylers (yet) hoe much do you use ? What does it looks like with and without?

Hey Romain,

I tried out the Quicksand for a couple of days to see how I liked it. It’s quite good for the volume, I must say. I think it’s definitely ideal for people with thinning hair.

Positives for Quicksand:

- Very, very good product for volume. I see Quicksand, Claymation and Baxter of California Clay as the best products on the market for people with thinning hair. If that was my issue, I would use these products daily.

- Quicksand has great endurance. My hair never lost volume, even on the second day. I was able to recomb it in the morning, and it looked as good as it did the previous day without me needing to reapply more product. My hair looked fresh like I had just applied the product. That’s a positive for me. I don’t have time to be going through the process of labor-intensive application with different pomades. I need products that can last at least 2 to 3 days. I don’t like to strip my hair of oil from constant showers, which I feel are damaging.

Negatives about Quicksand:

- High cost. I purchased it for $23.90 for a 2oz container. In hindsight, I should have bought it off the Hanz de Fuko website for $19 and paid the $5 shipping. I wasn’t sure that I would like it. Now that I’ve tried it, in the future I would purchase two or three tins at once to help reduce the bite of the shipping. Adding Claymation and Sponge Wax for the same purchase would make it a great deal.

-
The lack of shine from Quicksand made my hair look dirty and dead. Some people like having their look that way. I don’t. It looks alien to me. I don’t want to pay for a product that makes my hair look dirty and dead, even if it gives my hair volume. My hair has great volume even without pomade. That’s not reason I use pomades. But if I was losing my hair, I would be tempted to use Quicksand on a daily basis. I still don’t know that I would. I work in a professional environment with executives that are older than me, and none of them use clay pomades on their hair as far as I can tell. They look like they either use nothing or some kind Vitalis/brylcreem product. If I ws in high school, I think I could get away with wearing clay pomades, but not in the professional environment I work in. I would be looking like an oddball to my co-workers. If my hair needs volume, I would go with Murray’s or High Life pomades. If I was desperate for the same volume that Quicksand and Claymation give, I would buy a hair blower and create James Dean hair. Those products work just like Quicksand and Claymation if you use a blow dryer.

- I didn’t like the drying effect that Quicksand had on my hair. I could handle it for two days at a time, but I would be concerned if this was my go to pomade for everyday use for 365 days a year. I’m not sure if this is a healthy product for my scalp. I would be worried about hair loss/or breakage from the drying effect of my hair. Quicksand seems to absorb hair oil, which makes the hair lighter, and easier to be held up by the sandy product. I think I would switch Quicksand out with Claymation every two or every other day just to make sure I don’t damage my hair and cause it to break off.

- Overall, I’m not sure that Quicksand or Claymation are much better than Murray’s Superior or fine quality wax pomades like the High Life series. If you’re going to use a blow dryer each time you apply Quicksand or Claymation, then you can pretty much get the same exact volume with Murray’s and High Life. Those products do not weigh your hair down if you apply one scoop and use a blow dryer. For that reason, I’m not sure that Quicksand or Claymation are necessarily better products than the petro-pomades like Murray’s and High Life. They seem to be marketed a lot better, but in the end, you can get the same result by using a hair dryer when using Murray’s and High Life. That’s why I’m not sure if it’s really worth it for me to use Quicksand and Claymation for long term.

I’m curious about Claymation now. It’s dubbed as the Frankenstein of hair products the way that it combines clay and wax properties. I’m interested in purchasing that one now to see how it does. I just haven’t seen anyone use it without blow drying their hair. When they comb it without blow drying, the volume they’re getting is no better than Murray’s Superior or High Life pomades. Are people buying into a product that is overhyped with Claymation?

[MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION],

I am sorry to hear you don't like quicksand. It s definitly one i swear by. Like you i am not big on the finish hence with i usually supplement with another product.

Since you do not like quicksand i am not sure you will like claymation ad this is a matt finish. ( not as dry though )

I got 3 products from by vilain.

Black fibre: strong hold with light shine
Silver fox: firm hold with medium shine
Gold digger: extrem hold matt finish.

I am currently testing black fiber.

I got them for around 11£ each shipped.

They are made in denmark and have nice scents.

I haven't formed an opinion yet so give me a few days to give that a try...

Romain

Okay, it's 0840, and I've got the Hanz de Fuko Quicksand product in my hair and I think I'm looking very good. I'm liking the instant volume in my hair. This stuff is very weird. Quicksand is like some space age pomade that was brought down to earth by aliens. This stuff is so far ahead of the other products when it comes to instant volume. It's neat. It's like a combination powder and clay product. I like this stuff now. I still don't care for the lack of shine but I think I can fix that by using a trace of Murray's Exelento or Murray's Cocosoft pomade. I like the idea of only having to use a small amount of Quicksand for my hair. This is the only product I've ever used that gives my hair the volume with so little product.

Quicksand is well worth the money. I want to get the Claymation though and the Sponge Wax. I'm going to try both singly and then mix them together in a cocktail form. How does your hair look before you use a blow dryer with Claymation? That's how I want to use this stuff - without using a blow dryer.

I heard good stuff about Vilain on a number of websites, as well as in some of the videos on Youtube. I want to investigate that stuff further and see what they're about.

Hi David !

I hope you are staying awesome.

Quicksand is well worth the money. I want to get the Claymation though and the Sponge Wax. I'm going to try both singly and then mix them together in a cocktail form. How does your hair look before you use a blow dryer with Claymation? That's how I want to use this stuff - without using a blow dryer.

I knew you would it. Quicksand is a great product as base layer in particular thanks to it s dey shampoo properties. (More on that later)

My hair tends to be hard to tame and i have a lot of a flyaway. I have a few tricks to limit that tendency. I ll try to take a before / after picture next time.

The advantage is that they naturally have volume, so working out some volume is pretty easy. The blowdryer helps giving them a consistent direction.
I heard good stuff about Vilain on a number of websites, as well as in some of the videos on Youtube. I want to investigate that stuff further and see what they're about.

So far i have used black fiber quite a lot. I have even brought it to my barber who is an avid hanz de fuko user.

It s very hard to scoop out from the tin, however once you warm it in your hands it becomes all buttery.

It goes in your your hair super easily and has a light shine. The hold is quite strong and did last all day for me. I will use it with a touch of hairspray to give it a bit more strength.

Do i like it? Overwhelmingly yes ! It s all what gravity paste should be.

If i compare it to gravity paste i d say the hold is comparable, gravity paste has more shine, black fiber is much easier to apply.

I have recently been underwhelmed by my hair style. In particular when styling second day hairs. It can be quite hit and miss. I started using dry shampoo.

It seems to work great so far. Have you tried that ?
https://youtu.be/PTsjM8lBpSo

Hey Romain,

I've been sick with the flu the past week. Finally starting to feel a little bit better.

How do you get the Hanz de Fuko Quicksand to come out of your hair? I've washed and SCRUBBED my scalp with 6 shampoos and I STILL can't get the sand to come out of my hair. I can feel the sand on my scalp and it will no get out no matter what I try. Did you have this same problem? Do you bring a fine tooth comb into the shower when trying to remove the sand particles? The stuff is absolutely awful and gross beyond belief. I tossed my Quicksand. I only used one scoop the last time I used it and I've had nothing but problems since then. Maybe it's because I have thick hair or something. I'm mystified why the stuff won't come out. I don't want to shave my hair to get the sand out, but I'm tempted because it's not coming out. The thing is it's drying my hair each day as if I never stopped using the garbage, and I have add lightweight oil pomade just so my hair isn't like dead hay. This stuff is an absolute nightmare. I have never tried harder to wash out a product than this one and the junk does not come out.

I'm just going to stick with shampooing twice a day for the next week to see if the stuff comes out. It's unbelievable how this sand won't come out. Do you use this product much? How do you tolerate the wash out?

Last edited:
I'm just going to stick with shampooing twice a day for the next week to see if the stuff comes out. It's unbelievable how this sand won't come out. Do you use this product much? How do you tolerate the wash out?

I am sorry to hear you haven't been well. I hope you are doing well now.

It s weird that you are finding it hard to leave your hair. I had no problem getting this stuff out. It goes out with a single shampoo. I shampoo and condition every 3 days. I usually use the dax deep clean shampoo followed by a conditioner ( aussie moist conditioner)

How much have you used of it ? I only use a very tiny amount. What do you combine it with ?

Top Bottom