What's new

1st shave with zy

I received the zy razor in the mail today. I am limited on honing gear but I made due. I set the bevel on wet/dry sandpaper ontop of a thick piece of glass. I then went to a norton 4k. I will eventually get a 1k, but i want to get an atoma 400 to lap my stones with. After a fair amount of time on the 4k, i switched to the 8k. After that i stropped on balsa fro my poor man's strop kit from whipped dog. Then finished with the leather strop. Shaved my neck (growing beard for no shave november). And it shaved just as well as the vintage razor I got from Larry. I was pleasantly surprised!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Has anyone tried the new ZY Poseiden straight razor yet? I just saw a video of a guy honing one on Youtube. Nice looking razor. They run around $20 on the bay. I ordered one to try out. Has a neat looking trident shape cut out of the middle of the blade.
zy  poseiden-1.jpg

Handle / Scales are total garbage and you have to oil the hole / trident to ensure no rust - but the blade is actually quite nice - not sure how long it will hold an edge, but it shave surprisingly well! Got from e-bay and honed by "master Shifu". I hit the positive 50% and it was actually close to shave ready - good enough to shave well outa the box! Great value for the buck. Still hate the scales though.

One advantage immediately over the Gold Dollars... NO SHOULDERS!

Grinding those out is the most time consuming thing for me when getting a GD shave ready.

I may have to grab one or two of these after all.

Handle / Scales are total garbage and you have to oil the hole / trident to ensure no rust
The scales are actually ebony. The pinning using screws is screwy indeed and the scales are too thick. It would not take much effort on a sander to slim them down to something normal and then re-pin.

One advantage immediately over the Gold Dollars... NO SHOULDERS
Yes. No shoulder. The metal is very hard though, which might be good for edge keeping. In the mean-time, it took me forever to hone that thing.

Fortunately the result was good.

There's a ton of them out there and the verdict is they shave as well as they're honed like anything else. A very expensive razor honed badly will shave badly too.

Top Bottom