What's new

El Jefe Single Edge Razor Head ?

Some folks early on said that the post was too long and it was not able to tighten on some handles. Others (like me) found out that the thread on the post near the head was rough and what needed to happen was to force turn the handle and loosen it a couple of times until you were able to get it tight. You might want to try that on your head before going out looking for a special handle.

What I've found is that the post is good for about 3/4 s of the way screwing it in on a Maggard MR6. The final 1/4 had to be forced in. Then when unscrewed it, metal shavings fell out of the handle. But, subsequently, it screwed in with no problems. So, yes, there are problems with the finishing of the post.

That being said, with just a bit of care when putting the razor together, it's awesome.

No handle/thread issues here, either.

The only issue with this head is making sure you properly position and secure the blade, and it's not a difficult issue to resolve.

I tried mine with the MR5 and towards the end I experienced some tightening so I took it out and lubricated the threads. Next time there was no problem tightening it all the way.

Had myself an effortless two-pass BBS shave using a Feather AC Pro this morning (fourth shave on the blade). Really beginning to enjoy El Jefe, warts and all. :thumbup1:

Yes I agree, the El-Jefe is a fine razor with the pro blade as long as it's loaded correctly. Definitely a keeper and when they come out with the new one, I'll get it also.

I shaved with it yesterday alongside the RZ.
The Boss is a great razor and leaves BBs in two passes. One has to be careful to load the blade as far back as possible and the guard as far forward as possible.

If the blade is as far forward along with the base plate, this will make for a more aggressive razor, so I load the blade as far back on the posts as possible and then slide the base plate as forward as possible. This will make it less aggressive as there is less blade exposure and more guard.

If the blade is as far forward along with the base plate, this will make for a more aggressive razor, so I load the blade as far back on the posts as possible and then slide the base plate as forward as possible. This will make it less aggressive as there is less blade exposure and more guard.

:thumbup1: What he said. I learned the hard way. :death:

Actually I found that I could not tighten the handle if the blade and head were positioned forward on the base. If the head is too the rear the and head will tighten to the baseplate and secure the blade.

The cap has to be positioned to the rear (or the base plate forward, however you want to say it), otherwise the blade will not be held securely.

Here's how NOT to do it:

$jefe2.jpg

With the cap in the position shown above, it doesn't matter how hard it is tightened, the blade can still be moved around with a toothpick.

So, the cap must be tightened like this:

$jefe1.jpg

However, there is some latitude as to positioning the blade itself. I position it all the way back (away from the guard) by simply holding the razor with the guard facing up, and applying downward pressure to the cap with my thumb while I tighten it with my other hand.

I find the razor to be plenty aggressive set up this way, and if I wanted more I'd use a Pro Super blade. However, with a little fiddling around the blade can be positioned further forward.

--Bob

Mine can be tightened either way on the MR5 handle. I load the blade like in the 2nd picture but with the blade as far retracted as possible. This is the least aggressive setting I humbly believe.

Last edited:
I was going to wait for the updated version, but I missed the shaves too much[emoji33]. So I ordered the "blemished" head. I assembled the head holding horizontally with blade edge up ( as pictured above ) and had no blade loading issues. The shave was sublime, smooth and close with a well seasoned (24 shaves) Feather ProGuard.

I broke down and ordered an El Jefe head blemishes and all. Feather AC Pro Packs of 20 blades are currently 11.70 from Amazon...

Last edited:
Top Bottom